Anyone getting a Moto Z?

MarqBland

Oct 13, 2009
www.facebook.com
aeaac6b93a5f791aa65abbe5c1db2a1c.jpg

I want to love this phone. If I were to have gotten one, it would be the Z Force, but the exclusivity to Verizon until the fall is idiotic.

People are not switching carriers for a phone. VZ hasn't offered much of anything competitive to entice people to switch. These phones will most likely have their unlocked releases take place after the iPhone and Note launch. Why would Motorola/Lenovo even do that to themselves? Hopefully they surprise us with an updated Moto X that comes out before the big fall launches.

I had a Moto X last year, but the Nexus 6p came out within my return period so I returned the Moto X. Honestly, of the two phones, I liked the Motorola phone more, but the lack of a fingerprint reader was a deal breaker. An updated Moto X coming out before the major launches could be a major seller for Motorola, too bad that'll probably never happen.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Not me.

Not because the phone is bad, but because it's just releasing in the wrong time for me. I'm not a Verizon customer, so I won't be getting the Z during its exclusivity period on Verizon throughout the summer. As such, if I had to choose, I would have to go with the unlocked version. Trouble is, by that time, the phone that I'm hyped for, the Samsung Galaxy Note 6/7, would have already been unveiled and quite possibly already in stores by that time and if it's all it's cracked up to be, then I'd be going that way.

Sure, there were parts of the Moto Z that I'm not a fan of, like the frankly pathetic 2,600mAh battery on the normal Moto Z (the Force has a much more palatable 3,500mAh battery) and the removal of the 3.5mm headphone jack (at least they included the adaptor), but ultimately, it's the release period that kinda made it a no-go for me, unfortunately. Still, I'm giving Moto some points for trying with Motomods.

I'm still not big on modular designs on phones until there is a universal standard that works on a lot of phones, regardless of OEM, but just on release, Motorola has done a way better job than LG IMHO. The implementation overall seems to be better and there's more you can do with them. LG still hasn't come out with a new module for a while.

Last edited:

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: Anyone getting one?

Idk dude that was quite an enthusiastic set of paragraphs you wrote there. Also you still haven't answered the question if ya work there not that I expect ya to.

Posted via the Android Central App

OMG! Someone wrote a positive few sentences about Motorola! Must be Yang Yuanqing himself! Because for goodness sakes no one not employed by Motorola or Lenovo could possibly hold a different opinion of the Z than thatguy!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Actually, after reading your posts in this and every single other Motorola thread today...petty is a good description.

Hey.. there's no need for that.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Yeah I wonder how the HTC Nexus will be.

Exactly. I want to see what HTC and Nexus - two of my favourite manufacturers! - do this time 'round. I've never been super interested in the Motorola line of devices.

monofurioso

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Nope!

Hey, I like bluetooth, but not buying a device without a headphone jack. Seriously, phones are thin enough. A little thicker, w/ bigger battery and a headphone jack still allows for a pretty thin phone.

Verizon exclusivity also knocks it off my radar. It's a shame. Motorola quickly became my favorite manufacturer w/ the original Moto X, but they've lost all my good will.

uopjo6

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

I'm a bona-fide Samsung hater and I hate this trend more than them.
Not to mention how ugly the front panel is, you don't just strip away features and sell them separately in the name of "mod upgrades".
Sooner or later after the flood of complaints, they will release a 3.5mm jack mod and look greedy as hell.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I'm a bona-fide Samsung hater and I hate this trend more than them.
Not to mention how ugly the front panel is, you don't just strip away features and sell them separately in the name of "mod upgrades".
Sooner or later after the flood of complaints, they will release a 3.5mm jack mod and look greedy as hell.

Let's see who else stops including a 3.5mm audio jack.

jer85008

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Whatever excitement I may have had will surely dwindle in the next 3-4 months before the non-Verizon versions come out. By that time, I'll be thinking Nexus and these will probably be forgotten. I do like the concept of the Moto mods - but if it works out everyone else will copy it anyway and I'll have more to chose from next year.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

I wonder if a basic Style Shell will be included.

If one is included free then it may be because those contacts aren't durable enough to withstand normal use without one. It will be telling either way.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

If one is included free then it may be because those contacts aren't durable enough to withstand normal use without one. It will be telling either way.

Or as simple as addressing camera hump complaints.