Anyone getting a Moto Z?

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
For investing purposes??? Because I'd love to compare customer satisfaction which is way more important. Tesla doesn't come anywhere near the sales of the big Auto companies but they make a damn fine car and if you want to last in the tech business you better have a strong following.

Didn't Android Central find the 6P one of the best phones you could get that year??

I know Dieter Bohn at the Verge did:
Nexus 6P review: the best Android phone | The Verge

FromThe Huawei Nexus 6P review | Android Central: "It's the best Android phone I've ever used."

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure how customer satisfaction is a better metric than raw sales numbers when it comes to my belief that OS updates are not a significant sales driver for the regular smartphone buying public.

You're twisting yourself into knots by merging one thing I said and another thing you said and then shoehorning it into your own hypothesis but attributing it to me.

The update fiasco for Droid Turbo owners was about more then the updates themselves. It was the poor communication and the update that did come out (very late, they had to skip one) could brick your phone. The customer experience is a measure of expectations and many of us were left extremely disappointed.

Yelp and Amazon rating systems are based on the number of people's satisfaction not the number of sales. Maybe there's a lemming rating system but I haven't seen one yet.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
As for the discussion on updates — it's important to keep harping on all companies about getting security updates out to their phones. The people who don't know or don't care benefit when it happens, just like the people who do care. I'll continue to complain about any company who takes more than 30-ish days to get a security update out, in the hopes that the people involved read enough complaints to make them want to do it.

Moto/Lenovo, you suck at security updates. Look back at how you did things under Google's ownership, and go back to doing it that way. Your customers deserve it, and you need to appreciate them a little more than you do now.

I am of the belief that until we have a major security incident or breach, not just a "scare", none of these manufacturers will take security as important as they should. Sad, but true? Thoughts?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If updates were a sales driver, wouldn't phones that offer near guaranteed updates have higher sales than those that don't?

I think updates are important. I think security updates are even more important. But what evidence is there to say that the general public ranks updates high when purchasing a smartphone.

I'm not sure how customer satisfaction is a better metric than raw sales numbers when it comes to my belief that OS updates are not a significant sales driver for the regular smartphone buying public.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

They're both important, but they measure different things. Gross sales measures the ability to convince the public at large that a product, as an entire package, is worth buying. It isn't really impacted by the quality of that particular device or how happy with people are long term with it - and typically doesn't back out returns or stale product. Customer satisfaction and product quality are both discovered later and because most of the market does absolutely no research before buying their next device, the experiences of owners of prior generations typically do not impact the sales of the next generation directly. For example, the Galaxy S6 was a very bad phone by Android Nerd Community standards, yet it sold fantastically and so did the Note 5 and so did the S7. The Nexus 6P was considered to be a much stronger device and yet probably sold 5% of Samsung's volume. Whether or not a product is good seems to have very little correlation with whether or not it sells.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I am of the belief that until we have a major security incident or breach, not just a "scare", none of these manufacturers will take security as important as they should. Sad, but true? Thoughts?

I don't think it will ever be taken seriously. Our names, addresses, social security numbers, DOBs, passwords, credit cards get leaked online daily by the millions. I doubt people will take a stand about phone security unless there is some ridiculous exploit...like receiving a specific text message bricks ANY android phone.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
What i'm telling you, literally, is that corporations exist to make money, not to make people like you happy. Customer satisfaction is only relevant to a corporation inasmuch as it directly affects that corporations bottom line. Keeping you happy the last 3 years didn't exactly open up the coffers down at the moto money bank did it?

And I've owned and liked all 3 versions of the Moto X. My mind isn't made up about the Z yet. But I'm keeping an open mind until I can handle the phone and learn more.

That is certainly your way of looking at it but most tech companies start quite the opposite way. They don't always have a clear plan on how to drive revenue and worry about that later. When companies get big and they have a board, members do become focused on bottom line and getting their next big house and/or yacht. But it really takes a balance of both to run a company right. And happy customers rarely hurt the bottom line but the opposite does.

You should read this article that just came out and shows what happens when you ignore happiness in customers and employees in a company:
United CEO Oscar Munoz: Board too isolated to see airline's slide

"Jim Jackson, a United shareholder, said he stopped flying United five years ago because he was frustrated with bad customer service, especially by flight attendants. He now flies Delta and American, he said."

P.S.
stanleywinthrop, I doubt you run your own business like me and the people I know but we saw people with your attitude never succeed when they tried to start their own business.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

Public opinion can sway the big names into spending some money. A big part of the reason the GS7 gets them so early is becasue of all the complaints online, according to several of my contacts.

Honestly, I think it will take a lawsuit or someone like Al Franken to get the government involved before anything changes on a large scale. I wish i felt differently, but most companies are just using Android becasue it's cheap and easy and will never spend money they don't have to spend.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
When all is said and done, I still have that opinion. For everything it lacks, being able to have everything work properly every time I pick it up on any network makes up for it.

I regret getting the MXPE rather than waiting for the Nexus 6P. I had terrible customer service from Moto when my MXPE died after only 6 months. They were so inept that they sent me a brick (never removed Google account of original owner prior to doing FDR on refurb and sending it to me). I can understand ordinary users forgetting about FRP, but an Android OEM should know better!

It took me 3 weeks to receive a usable device.

They also mislead customers regarding shipping charges. They claim RMA shipping is free. Granted, it is not expensive, but FedEx did charge me both times (to send back my original defective device and the refurb brick).

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Any speculation as to how people will carry their mods around? Seems like more stuff at risk for drops. And how cases might work?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I regret getting the MXPE rather than waiting for the Nexus 6P. I had terrible customer service from Moto when my MXPE died after only 6 months. They were so inept that they sent me a brick (never removed Google account of original owner prior to doing FDR on refurb and sending it to me). I can understand ordinary users forgetting about FRP, but an Android OEM should know better!

They also mislead customers regarding shipping charges. They claim RMA shipping is free. Granted, it is not expensive, but FedEx did charge me both times (to send back my original defective device and the refurb brick).
Laura, remember the comment I made about my buddy in Atlanta and his rather abysmal experience sending his Nexus 6 in for repair?

Long story short, he got the 6 from another friend from California. It had some burn-in. He sent it off to Motorola for repairs. A week later, it came back in worse condition than it was when it was sent off as the burn-in was worse. After some angry phone calls, which eventually reached upper-management, he managed to get it fixed after 2 weeks.

And they wonder why they're getting sued for customer support.

If you're wondering what happened to the Nexus 6 now, he traded it along with a 5X back to the guy he got the 6 from in exchange for his 6P.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

To be fair, we have to remember that the mxpe was a phone designed by Motorola under Google but sold by a completely different company. From talking to some folks I know who used to work for Motorola, that whole transition was pretty rough.

That still doesn't excuse any of your issues, but we should have expected them.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
To be fair, we have to remember that the mxpe was a phone designed by Motorola under Google but sold by a completely different company. From talking to some folks I know who used to work for Motorola, that whole transition was pretty rough.

That still doesn't excuse any of your issues, but we should have expected them.
I thought the sale went through in 2014. Would a 2015 device still be affected by a transition that occurred over a year previously?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
All of last year's Moto phones were still Google's. Not sure exactly what the terms of the sale were there.

Any inside info on whether or not the MotoMods were a Lenovo mandate or did they start with Motorola? Their loose relationship with Project Ara leads me to believe this was the direction Motorola was going even before Lenovo was in the picture.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Any inside info on whether or not the MotoMods were a Lenovo mandate or did they start with Motorola? Their loose relationship with Project Ara leads me to believe this was the direction Motorola was going even before Lenovo was in the picture.

Nothing. Everyone I used to know at Moto now works for Google becasue they weren't "bought" employees by Lenovo. Haven't been able to find anyone to connect with the same way at Lenovo, but I'm still trying. It;s fun to know things I can't talk about :p

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

You're probably correct. Stagefright got everyone briefly up in arms about updating phones, but nothing major came of it damage-wise. Google's rumored update shaming probably won't have long-term effects, either. Until someone figures out how to actively exploit a security hole and cause serious damage or hijinks (thus potentially opening up companies to lawsuits), the current lackluster response to security updates won't change.

HeyItsChally

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I'm still holding out for the Nexus phone announcements, but wasn't there word of an included 3.5mm adapter for the USB-C port? I've been using bluetooth for awhile now, but this doesn't seem that different to me than any other advancement of input/output tech, except this one is supposedly encapsulating them all.

The shortcoming here, best as I can tell, isn't the exclusion of a 3.5mm audio jack, but the inclusion of only one USB-C port. If it's going to be a do everything port, phones need to come equipped with two by default.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm still holding out for the Nexus phone announcements, but wasn't there word of an included 3.5mm adapter for the USB-C port? I've been using bluetooth for awhile now, but this doesn't seem that different to me than any other advancement of input/output tech, except this one is supposedly encapsulating them all.

The shortcoming here, best as I can tell, isn't the exclusion of a 3.5mm audio jack, but the inclusion of only one USB-C port. If it's going to be a do everything port, phones need to come equipped with two by default.

Yes. There will be an adapter for USB > 3.5mm in the box. We have no details and they didn't have one to show us, so we don;t know if it's also a USB passthrough so you can have it plugged in and charging at the same time — which is possible (and easier to do) with USB C.

And yes, this is an advancement. Moto did it first, but everyone will be doing it eventually. It;s actually better in the long run. The issue is that nobody is ready for it, and USB-C headphones are expensive. And adapters suck :p