Anyone getting a Moto Z?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
And I'm not one of those people who uses Bluetooth to listen to music.

Part of the reason? I use a Bluetooth keyboard.

What does a Bluetooth keyboard have to do with streaming audio over Bluetooth?

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Cool concept but no thanks. I prefer a replaceable battery, and a 1/8 TRS headphone / AUX jack.

I think they deserve credit for trying something different (in regards to the modular aspect).... while everyone else is copying Apple and samsung. Its nice to see a design that gives the end-user choices, even if those choices don't appeal to me personally.

kresk

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Seems like a nice phone, but after having the wide angle lens on the G5 I don't want a phone without that option. That set a new standard for me. It works amazingly well. Especially for shooting videos.

Seshadri Skv

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
I like the the MotoZ. Decided long back that my current phone will be my last carrier branded device, so I will be getting the unlocked Z once it becomes available. The battery is small but that should be enough for everyday use considering it has turbo charging. Planning to get a battery mod for when I travel. Love how slim the phone is. I think they made the right sacrifices by ditching the second speaker, audio jack and large battery which I dont need on a day to day basis. Would have been awesome if the Z had project FI compatibility. Also curious what the next nexus is going to be like.

Convert2

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: Anyone getting one?

Absolutely not. This is the worst design I've seen in a phone. Not only does it look ugly, but it lacks hardware features that it should have.

Haha. "The worst design" - most phones look alike, the differences are all minutia. A phone that looks ugly? Then you worry way too much about a gizmo. Will it provide the functionality that one needs? - oh yeah.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

Haha. "The worst design" - most phones look alike, the differences are all minutia. A phone that looks ugly? Then you worry way too much about a gizmo. Will it provide the functionality that one needs? - oh yeah.
But there are other devices that look better to me than this and don't lack the features I like.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

For the last two years, Moto was one of the better designed devices as far as the face goes. Nothing on it but a camera, two speakers and some sensors. This year they screwed that up by putting a big ol' square fingerprint scanner in the way of things and forgetting to place one of the speakers that was supposed to be there. So silly. :)

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

For the last two years, Moto was one of the better designed devices as far as the face goes. Nothing on it but a camera, two speakers and some sensors. This year they screwed that up by putting a big ol' square fingerprint scanner in the way of things and forgetting to place one of the speakers that was supposed to be there. So silly. :)

I like the square. Reminds me of my old BlackBerry Curve.

Not saying reminding people of an old BlackBerry Curve is a good thing lol.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I like the square. Reminds me of my old BlackBerry Curve.

Not saying reminding people of an old BlackBerry Curve is a good thing lol.

I'm not going to be the first person to tell you that you're different :p I have a lot of friends who prefer FPS on the front, and square, oval, circle, pentacle, they don't really care that much.

Bora777

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm seriously considering getting one, and I can already see how the MotoMods would work for me. One of my biggest concerns about this announcement was wireless charging, which Motorola has ignored for the last few flagships, and this is addressed with one of the battery packs which I'd probably get anyway. I could also imagine having two or three of those simple covers to swap out depending on my mood. Spec-wise, it ticks all my boxes. That speaker mod also seems like a nice alternative to a portable Bluetooth speaker.

I don't think the design is perfect but I immediately found it very attractive (as long as the front is black). The "moto" branding on the front is rather tacky and should be removed before production if they come to their senses, and the fingerprint sensor that isn't a button is a rather sloppy design choice. That said, I love the shape and simplicity of the frame and I think the camera design is gorgeous. It's like they've taken ownership of the Moto 360's initially-regrettable flat tire and turned it into a sort of design trademark.

Headphone jack is a non-issue since I use Bluetooth headphones.

There seems to be an unusually negative reaction to this phone and from what I observe a lot of it comes either out of Verizon-related frustration or from people who loved the Moto X and what it stood for. The X never really convinced me, so I'm not bothered by how much of a departure the Z is. And not being in the US makes this carrier business irrelevant to me.

One thing I'm concerned about and eager to see is the camera performance. I'm not interested in the Force (and not in the US anyway) so the fact that the Z has what is probably their second-best camera gives me pause.

Last edited:

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
What does a Bluetooth keyboard have to do with streaming audio over Bluetooth?

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
I changed it up because I forgot that modern smart devices are capable of pairing with more than one BT device at a time. My bad.

But I still wouldn't use Bluetooth for my headphones. Believe it or not, BT for headphones just doesn't work for me.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

I'm not going to be the first person to tell you that you're different :p I have a lot of friends who prefer FPS on the front, and square, oval, circle, pentacle, they don't really care that much.

Hate the finger scanner on the front. I just like the square lol

I would've made the Moto logo on the back the fps.

Veteater

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Design? HTC is making this year's nexuses, and given HTC's design language, they just might put the scanner on the front, for no reason. The Moto has a reason for the front scanner, that being the mods. Pretty much every main Moto X has been a little lacking on stamina, and this is no different. And given how good this year's Moto phone crop of cameras is, that means that the moto x's camera is probably going to be pretty damn good.

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Design? HTC is making this year's nexuses, and given HTC's design language, they just might put the scanner on the front, for no reason. The Moto has a reason for the front scanner, that being the mods. Pretty much every main Moto X has been a little lacking on stamina, and this is no different. And given how good this year's Moto phone crop of cameras is, that means that the moto x's camera is probably going to be pretty damn good.
Except it isn't just up to HTC where to put the fingerprint sensor on a Nexus. Google will tell them where they want it

Veteater

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Except it isn't just up to HTC where to put the fingerprint sensor on a Nexus. Google will tell them where they want it
True, but Google does allow the companies to use similar designs to the normal lineup of phones. Given how closely nexuses are designed to their manufacturing brands' respective design languages, albeit with a good amount of Google's own influence, it is more likely than not that the nexuses of this year will end up looking like modified HTC 10s, most likely without the chamfer, and more likely than not, a front fingerprint scanner. I have never seen a fingerprint scanner on the back of an HTC phone.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
True, but Google does allow the companies to use similar designs to the normal lineup of phones. Given how closely nexuses are designed to their manufacturing brands' respective design languages, albeit with a good amount of Google's own influence, it is more likely than not that the nexuses of this year will end up looking like modified HTC 10s, most likely without the chamfer, and more likely than not, a front fingerprint scanner. I have never seen a fingerprint scanner on the back of an HTC phone.
They did put a fingerprint scanner at the back of the HTC One M7 Max.

However, it wasn't a good sensor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox