Anyone getting a Moto Z?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
True, but Google does allow the companies to use similar designs to the normal lineup of phones. Given how closely nexuses are designed to their manufacturing brands' respective design languages, albeit with a good amount of Google's own influence, it is more likely than not that the nexuses of this year will end up looking like modified HTC 10s, most likely without the chamfer, and more likely than not, a front fingerprint scanner. I have never seen a fingerprint scanner on the back of an HTC phone.

The 6P has a lot in common with other Huawei phones, but the 5X didn't have much in common with the G4 from a design standpoint. I *think* that Google is playing a more active role in how they want the devices to look, feel and operate - but it is a partnership, so the OEM obviously has some input and ultimately has to execute on the agreed upon design. I remember one HTC phone with a FPS on the back.

Sony and the Robin have both produced phones with the FPS on the power button on the side of the device. IMO that's the best place for it, because it doesn't mean you have to pick up a device from a desk to unlock it and it doesn't ruin the face of the device. That is, until the ability to have it under the glass as part of the display comes about - at that point, do that. Then it's invisible, not in anyone's way ever and not doubling as another button (home, power, etc). If those two choices aren't an option, then it's got to be on the back - for me to be interested.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Sony and the Robin have both produced phones with the FPS on the power button on the side of the device. IMO that's the best place for it, because it doesn't mean you have to pick up a device from a desk to unlock it and it doesn't ruin the face of the device.
I was wondering why they didn't thought of that when designing the Moto Z.

Perhaps the standard model was too thin to house a good sensor?

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering why they didn't thought of that when designing the Moto Z.

Perhaps the standard model was too thin to house a good sensor?

Posted via the Android Central App

That's my guess.

But in my opinion, it's not right or wrong for it to be on the front. Some people prefer it on the front, myself included. That doesn't make it the wrong place to put it.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I swore of Motorola after they abandoned my maxx on kk after months of saying they were going to update it to lollipop. But the Z Force looks nice and has a good battery. I'll play with it in the stores when it's released.

And this is how you do mods. The LG way is ridiculous. Turn off the phone, remove battery, blah blah. I'm impressed with the mod factor of these phones. Just snap off and on. As someone who does a lot of presentations, I'm especially intrigued by the projector mod.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
That's my guess.

But in my opinion, it's not right or wrong for it to be on the front. Some people prefer it on the front, myself included. That doesn't make it the wrong place to put it.
Yeah, the position of the scanner is largely down to personal preference.

There is no universal "right" location for the sensor. Some prefer it on the front, some like it better on the back while some like it on the side.

That said, when LG starts mass-producing that display with a finger scanner embedded in the display (along with others), it'll be really interesting.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
And given how good this year's Moto phone crop of cameras is, that means that the moto x's camera is probably going to be pretty damn good.

Improvement of Moto cameras is indeed a very good thing. Awful or barely acceptable cameras have been my only real issue with Moto through the years. The MXPE has a decent camera, but it's not outstanding. The Z is not for me, but I really want Moto to succeed, and having a terrific camera is a big step in the right direction.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Improvement of Moto cameras is indeed a very good thing. Awful or barely acceptable cameras have been my only real issue with Moto through the years. The MXPE has a decent camera, but it's not outstanding. The Z is not for me, but I really want Moto to succeed, and having a terrific camera is a big step in the right direction.

The MXPE was a HUGE step up in my experience, compared to prior Moto phones. It was the first one that was really on par with modern smartphone cameras, like the G4. The Moto G 4 camera was even better than that, so I'm expecting the Z to be another step above.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Google and Sony (I think it was Sony. Correct me if I'm wrong and call me lazy for not searching) figured out a way to use the screen digitizer to scan fingerprints. I assume it's probably too expensive to use it in something cheap and disposable like a phone. Hopefully Samsung or LG can take the idea and make it more practical, then Chinese OEMs with closer relations to the factories who actually build phones can implement it cheaply.

Then we can just put our finger or thumb anywhere on the screen and stop living like animals :p

Inundated

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
No headphone jack = non-starter for me, and I have professional reasons for that decision.

I'd much rather look into the unlocked Moto G4, especially if it really does work on all carriers (Verizon!) and has a 3.5mm headphone jack (which it appears to have).

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'd much rather have 2 front speakers than a fingerprint scanner. In fact I don't like fingerprint scanners at all. I'd also prefer multicolor led notifications, ir blaster, big battery even if phone is thicker, or an fm radio chip... But I'm pretty olfashioned Android-wise. I hate these new fangled skinny assed phones. Nothing against LeMoto. Feel the same way about every brand.

How many mAh on the the modular add on battery? I do use Bluetooth headphones already so I suppose I could live with that.

Veteater

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I'd much rather have 2 front speakers than a fingerprint scanner. In fact I don't like fingerprint scanners at all. I'd also prefer multicolor led notifications, ir blaster, big battery even if phone is thicker, or an fm radio chip... But I'm pretty olfashioned Android-wise. I hate these new fangled skinny assed phones. Nothing against Moto. Feel the same way about every brand.

How many mAh on the the modular add on battery? I do use Bluetooth headphones already so I suppose I could live with that.
The phone has a single front facing speaker that is about just as loud and a little bit better quality than my droid turbo 2, which means the audio is very good for a smartphone, from first looks and hands on videos that played content through the speaker, without the JBL mod. When the demo lady in a video I watched demonstrated the boost in audio quality with the mod, I could still hear "cake by the ocean" coming from the phone and could tell what it was, in the main showroom of the tech world event. But the audio did not seem as loud or as clear as, say, an HTC 10, M9, ZTE Axon 7, but it seems a wee bit off the Moto X pure, because it is a quieter setup. And the battery mod is 2,220 mAh, so if you have a Moto z and you use the battery mod on the phone 24/7, which can be done, the phone will have around the same thickness as the original Moto X, and will have a 4,820 mAh battery capacity. The force with this mod would be about 13mm thick (too thick) and will have a 5,720 mAh battery capacity.

FYI, a lot of devices that seemingly have dual front facing speakers, due to the dual grille setup, use the dual grill setup to trick you into believing that the phone has said setup, when its sound actually only comes out of the bottom grille. Moto has done this before, along with ZTE's 2015 axon lineup, and even the nexus 5x only fires sound through the bottom grille. The nexus 6p has a true dual speaker setup, like the MXPE. So, by the subtraction of one grille, many people think this is an inferior speaker setup to other front firing speaker phones, when a vast majority of phones with a dual grille front speaker setup only have single front firing speakers like this, because the sound only comes out of the bottom grille.

Last edited:

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The phone has a single front facing speaker that is about just as loud and a little bit better quality than my droid turbo 2, which means the audio is very good, from first looks and hands on videos that played content through the speaker, without the JBL mod. And the battery mod is 2,220 mAh, so if you have a Moto z and you use the battery mod on the phone 24/7, which can be done, the phone will have around the same thickness as the original Moto X, and will have a 4,820 mAh battery capacity. The force with this mod would be about 13mm thick (too thick) and will have a 5,720 mAh battery capacity.

FYI, a lot of devices that seemingly have dual front facing speakers, due to the dual grille setup, use the dual grill setup to trick you into believing that the phone has said setup, when its sound actually only comes out of the bottom grille. Moto has done this before, along with ZTE's 2015 axon lineup, and even the nexus 5x only fires sound through the bottom grille. The nexus 6p has a true dual speaker setup, like the MXPE. So, by the subtraction of one grille, many people think this is an inferior speaker setup to other front firing speaker phones, when a vast majority of phones with a dual grille front speaker setup only have single front firing speakers like this, because the sound only comes out of the bottom grille.
Thanks for the 411. Does it work like an extended battery IN a phone, both batteries charging together like one big battery, or do you have to charge mod battery separately then take it off to use internal battery?

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the 411. Does it work like an extended battery IN a phone, both batteries charging together like one big battery, or do you have to charge mod battery separately then take it off to use internal battery?

My question exactly!

If the battery pack charges the built in battery, then it's not as simple as adding 2220 mah to the phone's original capacity. There is efficiency lost when an external battery charges an internal one. So a 2220 mah external battery would provide 60-70% of that (~1300 mah). The best way to think of this is the external battery mod could charge a Z Force from 40% to 80% one time (or a regular Z from 25% to 80% one time).

If the battery pack works together with the internal battery, then I think you get the benefit of the full capacity. So that is far more preferable.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
There is also a chance that it runs hot if you attempt to use phone while external battery "charges" internal battery. Big difference depending on how it works. Also, does the mod battery require a separate charger or do you merely plug in phone charger?

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
There is also a chance that it runs hot if you attempt to use phone while external battery "charges" internal battery. Big difference depending on how it works. Also, does the mod battery require a separate charger or do you merely plug in phone charger?

For this last question, I've heard you can charge the battery pack and phone together while it's connected to the phone. Alternatively, you can charge the battery pack on its own by plugging it in when it's not connected.

enorth

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Gotta say I'm liking this. Yeah, there are all sorts of things I wish were different. Fingerprint sensor on the back. No headphone jack. A way to avoid Verizons slop apps. No included Porsche. (I can dream, right?) But there's a lot to like. I really like the battery mod. When I'll be near a charger, I can enjoy the slim design. When I'm going to be on an airplane or on my horse in the back country using my phone as a GPS tracker, I can use the mod with the extended battery. In fact, it looks like you might be able to hot swap the battery mod on without shutting down, though I'm not sure of that. A big plus for a traveler.

Z Critix

Jun 12, 2016
Visit site
Never. Lenovo owned motorola has been a disaster. The moto z itself is completely hideous: huge sensors on the front and exaggerated protruding camera. Without these "moto mods" this phone is worthless. Also keeping the moto z as a Verizon exclusive until months later is a huge scam. Quite a disappointment.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers