Anyone getting a Moto Z?

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
You pick your poison but Lenovorola hasn't inspired a lot of confidence. But I don't care for Samsung and while nexus has a lot of positives, I'll never root and OS updates generally promise more than they deliver. Security updates are nice, but if you're not messing with the dangerous side of the street so far the risk has been low.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Anyone getting one?

I agree with you here. I'm still feeling the burn of my 2014 X not getting updates on VZW. This really makes me hesitate to put myself in that position again.

Lenovo isn't going to prioritize OS updates the way Motorola used to.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site

Lenovo isn't going to prioritize OS updates the way Motorola used to.

Real shame. There's no reason these phones shouldn't get a few years of updates, especially as close to stock as Moto is.

My choices are dwindling fast, which is really not what i expected to happen as Android got older, lol.

Veteater

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the 411. Does it work like an extended battery IN a phone, both batteries charging together like one big battery, or do you have to charge mod battery separately then take it off to use internal battery?
There are two types of battery mods. The first is normal, and charges while attached to your phone. The second charges both normally like the first, or wirelessly. Unlike a battery case, which is bad because it lowers the recharge cycles of your phone by charging your phone when it is activated and not stopping, the mod is attached, and the phone draws power from the mod, and after the mod has no more power to give, the phone utilizes it's own battery. That is if you attach the mod to the phone when it has sufficient battery life (16% and up) or utilize said mod 24/7. If your phone's battery is at what is considered to be low (15% and below) the mod will automatically charge the phone's battery. So it is like a hybrid car using an electric motor for a certain extent, then switching to its petrol engine.

Veteater

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
First off, if you buy accessories at Verizon and you're not getting a big discount, then that's a bad move. Second, hopefully there will be third party sellers. Third, some of these prices aren't that horrible like the speaker for example.
And since the prices for the listed battery mods are for the designer battery mods, the standard incipio will be a little cheaper than the Kate Spade or the Tumi. I have a comment above on how the mods work. Hope that helps!

Veteater

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
When the mod is attached, the phone draws its power from the mod battery until it's dead, then it draws from the phone battery. Not sure about charging or if it will also top up the phone battery while attached.

When we get them in our hands we're planning on taking a good look at it all.
Adding to your comment, the mod can and will automatically recharge your phone, when the mod is attached in an instance where the phone is low on battery. And the mod has an efficiency mode that basically will wait until the best time to recharge your phone, and will recharge your phone up 20% of battery from when the mod first started recharging. I explained most of this, I think few comments up, just so people around here aren't misinformed.

Even4steven

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

Most OS upgrades have caused more problems then they have fixed, for me. I am getting a new phone every year anyway, so the OS upgrade is not a factor for me at all

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
There are two types of battery mods. The first is normal, and charges while attached to your phone. The second charges both normally like the first, or wirelessly. Unlike a battery case, which is bad because it lowers the recharge cycles of your phone by charging your phone when it is activated and not stopping, the mod is attached, and the phone draws power from the mod, and after the mod has no more power to give, the phone utilizes it's own battery. That is if you attach the mod to the phone when it has sufficient battery life (16% and up) or utilize said mod 24/7. If your phone's battery is at what is considered to be low (15% and below) the mod will automatically charge the phone's battery. So it is like a hybrid car using an electric motor for a certain extent, then switching to its petrol engine.

I don't understand. If when a battery mod is attached, the phone draws from the mod, not the phone, why would the mod ever charge the phone? That seems like an inefficient use of the mod's battery.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Third, some of these prices aren't that horrible like the speaker for example.
Granted, if you're prone to geeking out whenever OEM X releases something new. I doubt that Joe and Jane Smartphone-Shopper are going to see it the same way. Also, IMO, some of those specialty mods look like hunks of plastic crap compared to the phone itself.

Note: I agree that Moto's approach to these mods is borderline brilliant (the pogo pins and such); I'm just not blown away by the realizations & price tags of some of them.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Using a battery to charge a battery is inefficient. Better if it works like PART of the internal battery with the PHONE drawing current from the mod. Working as you describe you are not really getting 2800 + 2200 but some factor less depending on how much energy is wasted but it will be a significant loss. One good way would be for the phone to stop using its own battery and use only the mod until it is drained. I understand you have explained this is not how it works. I'm merely suggesting it would be better if it were.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Also it is hard to get a full charge from another battery when well depleted unless the charging battery is much bigger. As the batteries equalize the charging process will stop

Posted via the Android Central App

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
That's an interesting implementation, like what I said in my earlier post.

In a sense, it seems to be an actual battery extender, then.

Thomas Guide

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
There will be a thinning of the heard at some point, there are too many phones and not enough people on the Earth. Some small fish will likely be gobbled up and the others will drop out or go out of business. Practically every tech company decided they need to be in the phone business. There's just not much more they can do with a rectangular slab of metal and glass.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
As Kellen on droid life pointed out having a multi month gap between your big reveal and actually being able to purchase a product is flat out stupidity. Plus the presentation was pitiful, especially compared to last year's that was much more professional and engaging.

Ranny99

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Do Motorola still have the excellent radios? Running a Nexus 6 here in the UK and as I work from home 4 days a week, have to waste my own minutes, due to my work iPhone, spending half the day with no service. Both on same network.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
The power pack ($90), wireless charger power pack ($100) and sound boost ($80) modules seem to be reasonably priced but 70 for the style shell and 300 for the projector is ridiculous.