Anyone getting a Moto Z?

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Sigh.You are right. It's terrible to have to have a payment plan. Sorry if you're not on Verizon. The whine is strong surrounding this phone. Whine, it doesn't have a headphone jack. Whine, I'm not on Verizon so I'll have to wait until September and I won't be able to get the Force. Whine, the price is too high. Whine, it won't get monthly security updates. I saw it today and wasn't wowed by it, but if I want it I can patiently wait until Black Friday or some other sale. Or just get the new Note if you like Samsung or wait for the Nexi.

05GT

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I love how people complain about a Verizon exclusive that will soon have an official unlocked release. I don't hear all the whining when AT&T has the totally exclusive rights to the Samsung Active phones.

At least you can take the Verizon Droid and use it with pretty much whichever carrier you want.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I love how people complain about a Verizon exclusive that will soon have an official unlocked release. I don't hear all the whining when AT&T has the totally exclusive rights to the Samsung Active phones.

At least you can take the Verizon Droid and use it with pretty much whichever carrier you want.

It's a little different though. The Active is a special variant. For all intents and purposes, the Moto Z DROID is Motorola's new flagship.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

djrichy5

May 19, 2014
Visit site

That's true. If I'm not mistaken, all Verizon phones come unlocked.

It's a little different though. The Active is a special variant. For all intents and purposes, the Moto Z DROID is Motorola's new flagship.

To my knowledge, the Force is only exclusive to Verizon.

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
That's true. If I'm not mistaken, all Verizon phones come unlocked.

To my knowledge, the Force is only exclusive to Verizon.
They come unlocked but it doesn't mean you will get all the LTE bands on all carriers. Tried that and was disappointed before. They are not obligated to make their phones work on all bands.

evan_adams

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Went and played with both today at Verizon. Droid Force felt better in hand to me, the Z just felt too thin in hand. Like the added weight and thickness the force had to it. Both phones looked solid though, too bad the force will never come out unlocked. Not going to get the Z just to have to get a huge battery pack to last the day.
I am very interested to feel a Z with battery in hand. For me the wearing out of batteries drives me nuts since I use my phone's 2+ years.

Bankz111

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
I am very interested to feel a Z with battery in hand. For me the wearing out of batteries drives me nuts since I use my phone's 2+ years.

These are my worries also, I fear the battery might wear out quickly since the mods charges them all the time as opposed to acting like a true external battery. Although, verteater seems to have explained it in detail in one of the threads here

evan_adams

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
as opposed to acting like a true external battery. Although, verteater seems to have explained it in detail in one of the threads here

I don't think on phones an external USB battery is any different. For batteries it is the number of charge cycles that matters. So if you slap a battery mod on the back you are doing a cycle. If you plug into the wall, a cycle. A USB battery, a cycle. For me it is 1+ years out when the internal battery is toast, a new battery mod and your power longevity should be improved.

Veteater

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
These are my worries also, I fear the battery might wear out quickly since the mods charges them all the time as opposed to acting like a true external battery. Although, verteater seems to have explained it in detail in one of the threads here
It's Veteater, not Verteater, and the mod can act as both an external battery/the phone has an inclusive 4,820mAh battery or as a charging source. Kellex from Droid life apparently doesn't understand that. What a downer of a tech blogger. The battery won't wear out any faster than it normally would, unlike a phone relegated to a standard battery case.

Veteater

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I said that a phone using a standard battery case that simply charges the phone and never stops will have a faster degrading battery than this Moto Z.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I said that a phone using a standard battery case that simply charges the phone and never stops will have a faster degrading battery than this Moto Z.

Veteater - do you know if there is any way to customize the efficiency mode of the battery mod? I'd rather the mod kick in at something other than 80%.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I kind of expected a lot more chatter on here from people who have picked up the phone. Not to much going on in the entire Z forum. Maybe not selling that well among the forum tech types.

05GT

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I kind of expected a lot more chatter on here from people who have picked up the phone. Not to much going on in the entire Z forum. Maybe not selling that well among the forum tech types.

Alot of people waiting on the Nexus and Note announcements. I'm loving my Z Droid Edition! Damn phone is freakishly thin!

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I think for me that is one of the best features is the size. I have large hands and for me it fits comfortably. When I heard the Announcement of these phones I thought for sure I would get the Force. But once I got to hold them I'm store the Z felt great in the hand for me. Battery life has been pretty good for my usage. I have been averaging about 3 hours of screen time. That's pretty standard for me even with the 7 edge, OP3, HTC 10 And others. And with the battery mod and the fact I'm almost always near a charger I have zero complaints as of now.

evan_adams

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Went to see them at a Verizon store tonight. They are huge. Held one up next to the htc10 and the screens are the same size but then you realize how much bezel the moto z has. It was thoroughly unimpressive how the Verizon demo software kept bombing. The people there didn't even know there was a difference between z and force.

What I was trying to get a sense of was z/force w/ mod weight. That I had a hard time judging. Debating on waiting for the next Nexus... Arg.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2