Not Launching with Android N and No Compatibility with Sprint & Verizon on Unlocked [CONFIRMED]

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
"I asked Motorola if, given the unlocked versions don't ship until the fall, we might see Android N on those devices at launch. The answer was an unambiguous "No."

And that leads to the sticky issue many have been keen to point out about these devices: a Verizon-exclusive launch deal that could last upwards of two months. Verizon is no doubt Motorola's strongest carrier partner, though, and the DROID brand has endured over the years. If these phones will sell well anywhere, it's on Verizon. The unlocked Moto Z and Z Force also won't work on Sprint or Verizon themselves, unlike the outgoing Moto X Pure Edition, yet another step backward in terms of compatibility and practicality."

Source: androidpolice.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Re: No Android N Coming in the Fall and No Compatibility with Sprint & Verizon on Unlocked [CONFIRME

They said the devices won't launch with N. N may still roll out as an update soon after launch (but I wouldn't expect to see N on the Verizon devices before May/June 2017).

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: No Android N Coming in the Fall and No Compatibility with Sprint & Verizon on Unlocked [CONFIRME

Not sure which "they" you're referring to but most articles out there don't address these questions.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

happysaiyan correct again.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

Wait. People actually though that the phone might be running an unannounced version of Android that will probably be released after the phone itself is released?

I can't help but LOL at that.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

Wait. People actually though that the phone might be running an unannounced version of Android that will probably be released after the phone itself is released?

You might have skipped my first post but the unlocked versions don't come out until the fall, which is why Android Police asked that question to Motorola in their article.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

What's the N release date?

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

I wonder how long it will actually take for either the Droid variants or the unlocked versions to be updated to N when it's finally released.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

I wonder how long it will actually take for either the Droid variants or the unlocked versions to be updated to N when it's finally released.

At least 6 months. Anyone planning on buying should tattoo that on their forehead so we don't have to see complaining posts every day for 6 months.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

Citizen Coyote,
You can bet the Moto Z devices will be some of the last devices to be upgraded. Moto and Verizon are some of the slowest moving companies when it comes to Android updates. Combine that with additional complexity and lines of code to handle those Mod's and if it ever does get upgraded to N that might be the last upgrade it does receive.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I'm not too concerned with the first release of N. But I doubt we'll see the minor updates come to the Motos (7.1/7.0.1),

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

I'm not too concerned with the first release of N. But I doubt we'll see the minor updates come to the Motos (7.1/7.0.1),

Or major ones...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Or major ones...

Again - I'm not concerned with the initial N release, the major one. Marshmallow was 3 to 4 months after launch. Not having N doesn't mean the phone is broken. :/

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

Again - I'm not concerned with the initial N release, the major one. Marshmallow was 3 to 4 months after launch. Not having N doesn't mean the phone is broken. :/

Not everyone that spends around $700 of their hard earned money on a new phone equates their user experience to broken or not broken. When you're spending the equivalent amount of money that could get you a new laptop I think you have the right to be a bit more picky then accept everything wrong with the device and/or support as long as it's not broken.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Not everyone that spends around $700 of their hard earned money on a new phone equates their user experience to broken or not broken. When you're spending the equivalent amount of money that could get you a new laptop I think you have the right to be a bit more picky then accept everything wrong with the device and/or support as long as it's not broken.

My current Moto X was $449.99. :/

Seriously, what are you so mad about? You should just own a Nexus and be done with it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I lol @ the source. #sirens

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

My current Moto X was $449.99. :/

Seriously, what are you so mad about? You should just own a Nexus and be done with it.

Ry, to some people $450 is a lot of money and an unlocked G5 runs at $650 at Best Buy. I'm very sure this phone will be more then that.

Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they're mad :) I may very well own a Nexus but it hasn't been announced yet so we don't know what the new one will even be like.

Last edited:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

You might have skipped my first post but the unlocked versions don't come out until the fall, which is why Android Police asked that question to Motorola in their article.

No, I read it. The phones come in the fall. Same as Android N.

That means the phones had to be manufactured and the software installed long before Android N is released. If Lenovo were a Nexus partner, maybe that could happen. But they're not. They will be running the same software as the Verizon versions, minus the crapware. That's how things work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol