Not Launching with Android N and No Compatibility with Sprint & Verizon on Unlocked [CONFIRMED]

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: No Android N Coming in the Fall and No Compatibility with Sprint & Verizon on Unlocked [CONFIRME

No, I read it. The phones come in the fall. Same as Android N.

That means the phones had to be manufactured and the software installed long before Android N is released. If Lenovo were a Nexus partner, maybe that could happen. But they're not. They will be running the same software as the Verizon versions, minus the crapware. That's how things work.

Understood but given the different levels of understanding and all the things people ask on this site I don't find it a ridiculous bit of information to share, no?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Re: No Android N Coming in the Fall and No Compatibility with Sprint & Verizon on Unlocked [CONFIRME

Understood but given the different levels of understanding and all the things people ask on this site I don't find it a ridiculous bit of information to share, no?

Nope. Good thing to discuss in a place like the forums. Not trying to dampen the talk at all. Was just taken aback that the idea was entertained the way it was is all.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Nope. Good thing to discuss in a place like the forums. Not trying to dampen the talk at all. Was just taken aback that the idea was entertained the way it was is all.

So you're saying there's a chance the unlocked version will launched with Android O?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

So you're saying there's a chance the unlocked version will launched with Android O?

lol

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site

LMAO. This is hilarious. Bad question, blown up on the internet.

Why I love my job. :p

No, it's not LAUNCHING with N. Of course it will GET N later.

BLOGBLOGBLOGBLOGBLOGBLOGBLOG.

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Not Launching with Android N and No Compatibility with Sprint & Verizon on Unlocked [CONFIRMED]

Since the Droid versions are exclusive to Verizon, even if you are on Sprint, you would have to buy it from Verizon. Does Verizon even sell phones to people who won't be using it on their network? Since Verizon and Sprint are CDMA, and the unlocked versions are not CDMA.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Not Launching with Android N and No Compatibility with Sprint & Verizon on Unlocked [CONFIRMED]

Since the Droid versions are exclusive to Verizon, even if you are on Sprint, you would have to buy it from Verizon. Does Verizon even sell phones to people who won't be using it on their network? Since Verizon and Sprint are CDMA, and the unlocked versions are not CDMA.

There won't be a model that works with Sprint.

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

What's surprising about this is that the G4 Plus will have 4 carrier compatibility. Perhaps the verizon contract says that motorola can only release one 4 carrier unlocked phone per cycle?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

What's surprising about this is that the G4 Plus will have 4 carrier compatibility. Perhaps the verizon contract says that motorola can only release one 4 carrier unlocked phone per cycle?

The regular G4 and G4 Play will also be compatible with all four carriers.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

You can buy Verizon phones elsewhere without a contract.

Posted via the Android Central App

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

My AT&T Note 5 got MM Friday so I think they are actually the worst with regards to rolling out updates.

happasaiyan

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site

Was told the Z was too thin to include both GSM and CDMA. Although probably some politics at play, too.

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Verizon and Sprint need to get their @sses in gear and have VoLTE on all phones, so they can eliminate the old CDMA system and convert it to LTE. With that being said, the rest of them also need to finish their VoLTE roll-outs so GSM can go away. Then all that will matter with phones is which Bands they are capable of working on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Verizon and Sprint need to get their @sses in gear and have VoLTE on all phones, so they can eliminate the old CDMA system and convert it to LTE. With that being said, the rest of them also need to finish their VoLTE roll-outs so GSM can go away. Then all that will matter with phones is which Bands they are capable of working on.
..pretty sure that's on the roadmap.

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

Was told the Z was too thin to include both GSM and CDMA. Although probably some politics at play, too.

Problem with this theory is that the Droid versions will have GSM and CDMA radios, as all Verizon phones are sold unlocked and compatible with GSM 2G/3G networks.

PWav

May 1, 2010
Visit site

Problem with this theory is that the Droid versions will have GSM and CDMA radios, as all Verizon phones are sold unlocked and compatible with GSM 2G/3G networks.

What's the source of this statement? Is it verified? By whom?

Asking because here is the part of the specs from Moderator Ry:

Bands (by model)
CDMA (850, 1900 MHz)
GSM / GPRS / EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS / HSPA+ (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
4G LTE (B2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 13)

The key words here seem to be "by model."

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

What's the source of this statement? Is it verified? By whom?

Asking because here is the part of the specs from Moderator Ry:

Bands (by model)
CDMA (850, 1900 MHz)
GSM / GPRS / EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS / HSPA+ (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
4G LTE (B2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 13)

The key words here seem to be "by model."

Not sure if you are trolling or serious, but the specs you've quoted indicate that the phone is fully compatible with GSM 2G/3G networks.

PWav

May 1, 2010
Visit site

No, I'm not trolling. I posted my questions because member happasaiyn posted:

This seems to give different information than your post.

Being able to use my phone during international travel is very important to me & would probably make-or-break my decision to get a Moto Z, as much as I love everything else about it.

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

No, I'm not trolling. I posted my questions because member happasaiyn posted:

This seems to give different information than your post.

Being able to use my phone during international travel is very important to me & would probably make-or-break my decision to get a Moto Z, as much as I love everything else about it.

The specs you posted (which I confirmed on the Motorola website as being correct) tell us the phone is compatible with GSM 2G and 3G networks. Be careful however, as the phone will only get LTE when the network you are using supports one of the above LTE bands. Outside of the US, this will not be likely, but you can check with whatever network you are planning on using.

What this means in layman terms is that phone calls and SMS should work fine with any GSM network, but you will likely have to deal with slower data connections depending on the GSM network.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton