08-09-2016 09:44 AM
101 12345
tools
    And rainbows, and unicorns.

Attachment 229965
    It could have a Verizon check mark..!

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    06-13-2016 12:43 PM
    I would prefer a circle, heck draw the Motorola batwing logo inside and ditch the "moto" text on the front.
    I agree and my reply was meant as joke. Anyone who thinks Apple invented circles is going to find something else to complain about. Moto should have just used a circle. To me, the horrible looking square fingerprint sensor is one of the few design mistakes Moto made on this phone. Unfortunately, it was a really bad mistake in my opinion that detracts from entire front of phone.

Although I do have to admit, a unicorn fingerprint sensor with a Verizon red check mark branded to its hindquarters would be pretty awsome
    Ry likes this.
    06-13-2016 02:16 PM
    Although I do have to admit, a unicorn fingerprint sensor with a Verizon red check mark branded to its hindquarters would be pretty awsome
    this earned a LOL
    06-13-2016 02:29 PM
    Verizon checkmarks flying out of a unicorn's butt. Now on the front page of androidcentral.com.

Confessions of a Motorola Fangirl: The Honeymoon is Over-untitled.png
    Aquila, Ry, Laura Knotek and 4 others like this.
    06-13-2016 02:38 PM
    Verizon checkmarks flying out of a unicorn's butt. Now on the front page of androidcentral.com.
    ha, perfect! If only I had a way to ban whoever caused that to happen. I'll keep thinking about that!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-13-2016 02:41 PM
    I am an owner of a Droid Turbo. And while i have loved everything about this phone, i have despised the camera at times.
    Until the reveal last week, i had pretty much decided my next phone (When my two year Verizon contract ends in October) would either be the HTC-10 or the 2016 Nexus. If the reviews of the Moto Z camera are in the same range as the S7, HTC10, LG G5 and Iphone, then it moves to the top of my list pending reviews of the new Nexus.

Your gripe about the Verizon exclusive for the short "summer months" is moot. I think many folks are like me and they are going to wait until they read the reviews on the Moto Z (especially the camera). Then they are going to wait to see what the new Nexus looks like this fall.
    06-13-2016 04:22 PM
    I am an owner of a Droid Turbo. And while i have loved everything about this phone, i have despised the camera at times.
    Until the reveal last week, i had pretty much decided my next phone (When my two year Verizon contract ends in October) would either be the HTC-10 or the 2016 Nexus. If the reviews of the Moto Z camera are in the same range as the S7, HTC10, LG G5 and Iphone, then it moves to the top of my list pending reviews of the new Nexus.
    You opened up a pretty large range by including the iPhones. Phones that are in that range are HTC 10, S7 Edge, S6 Edge Plus, Note 5, S6 Edge, Priv, Nexus 6P/5X, LG G5, Moto G Plus, Droid Turbo 2, LG G4, Moto X Style, Note 4 and the most recent two years of iPhones. Given that last year's Moto devices and this year's Moto G Plus are all in that list, I'd say we can safely bet that this year's Moto flagships will be in the same range.
    06-13-2016 05:26 PM
    You opened up a pretty large range by including the iPhones. Phones that are in that range are HTC 10, S7 Edge, S6 Edge Plus, Note 5, S6 Edge, Priv, Nexus 6P/5X, LG G5, Moto G Plus, Droid Turbo 2, LG G4, Moto X Style, Note 4 and the most recent two years of iPhones. Given that last year's Moto devices and this year's Moto G Plus are all in that list, I'd say we can safely bet that this year's Moto flagships will be in the same range.
    No one says that the quality of photos from the Droid turbo 2 are in the same class as HTC 10 or S7.

Like I said, I am a fan of Motorola build quality and the gestures and close to stock Android

But the cameras need to be elevated and in the same conversation as the two I mentioned..

Now, the Verizon crap I get. The lack of timely updates mainly... Every phone ive ever bought immediately gets a Diztronic tpu case so all the namby pamby crying about Verizon logos is another non factor with me.

Verizon has the best 4G coverage in South Louisiana so I ain't switching. :-P

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-13-2016 05:47 PM
    No one says that the quality of photos from the Droid turbo 2 are in the same class as HTC 10 or S7.
    Those two are the top of the pile, yes ... but you mentioned four phones in the post that I quoted ("If the reviews of the Moto Z camera are in the same range as the S7, HTC10, LG G5 and Iphone, then it moves to the top of my list pending reviews of the new Nexus.") - and the iPhones are what make that a wide range - because the iPhone 6s Plus is part of a 5 way tie for 7th place and the 6s, 6 Plus and 6 are in a 5 way tie for 15th place. So by including the iPhones, you we're either talking about Moto placing in the top 11 or top 19 devices. The Moto G Plus, this year's Moto G, is already part of that first tie for 7th and therefore qualifies and all the phones that I listed are in that top 19 category (along with some I didn't list), including last year's Moto phones.

So that's the data based on what I was responding to. If you want it to be as good as the S7, HTC10, LG G5 and iPhone, then you're asking it to be in the top 1-11 or top 1-19 devices - and it's pretty likely that you will be happy, because the budget version of this generation of Moto phones already qualifies and we'd expect their flagship to be better than or the same as the G.

If you want it to join the tie for 1st place that the S7 and HTC 10 occupy... I would never make a bet that's going to happen. Last year Moto did manage to tie the G4, which was in second, but it was at the Samsung caliber last year either. It was the best they'd ever done, but since that time, a whole lot of phones have been released that passed the Style and the G4 and it'd take a major improvement to move up from the 5 way tie for 7th that the G occupies to pushing on the ceiling where the HTC 10 and S7 Edge are.
    Cajun_Mike likes this.
    06-13-2016 05:58 PM
    I love the concept of the Moto Z. Each person gets to pick the feature that most appeals to them and make the phone great at it.
    That's the Donald Trump mod.

badcat likes this.
    06-13-2016 09:45 PM
    That's the Donald Trump mod.

Make Moto great again.

badcat likes this.
    06-13-2016 10:05 PM
    I don't think a shell would add much bulk at all and would likely be easier to hold.
    06-13-2016 10:23 PM
    I don't buy that argument at all either.

It could be that we're seeing the phone mostly exposed and to some, the connector could look like there's something missing.

Moto needs to show this phone off with the connectors exposed so people know what they are. But when these things hit the market, I doubt anyone is going to use the phone without at least a Style Shell, and it's rumored to ship with one.

I'll be one of those folks who use the phone without a shell or case. I doubt I'd ever use any of the MotoMods, so the pins will have to be my style I guess.

My main worry is that the phone will still be too big for me with the big bezels, I didn't upgrade to the 2015 X due to its larger size, so that could be the stopper for me. Hopefully if works out, because there's really nothing else I've seen in the last two years that is appealing. :-
    06-13-2016 10:26 PM
    I love how folks are now complaining that Moto has recently stopped supporting their phones. Folks...they quit supporting their phones in 2011. You can thank Punit Soni for setting the trend...
    06-14-2016 09:58 AM
    I'm leaning towards believing that it will come with a basic Style Shell.

I've been seeing rumors about this? I hope it's true. It needs one in the box for sure.
    06-14-2016 11:06 AM
    The sensor shouldn't be front and center and taking up all the real estate it is without at least doubling as a home button.
    Or at least doubling as branding instead of doubling the ugly by placing it below the branding. "moto" + outlined square draws too much attention to that bottom panel and defies you to think of that little square as anything but a home button. Too bad, too, since this is one of the few phones that really legitimates the idea of a front panel fps/home button because of its "art techno" backside.

I suppose they could have placed the fps on the back as a smaller circle immediately below/fused to the camera bump, but the designers probably would have never stopped throwing up.
    06-14-2016 11:07 AM
    Or at least doubling as branding instead of doubling the ugly by placing it below the branding. "moto" + outlined square draws too much attention to that bottom panel and defies you to think of that little square as anything but a home button. Too bad, too, since this is one of the few phones that really legitimates the idea of a front panel fps/home button because of its "art techno" backside.

I suppose they could have placed the fps on the back as a smaller circle immediately below/fused to the camera bump, but the designers probably would have never stopped throwing up.
    I actually hope the "Moto" logo above the fingerprint reader is just for the Verizon model.

If it's on the unlocked variant, I'll be getting HTC black bar flashbacks.
    06-14-2016 12:25 PM
    I've been seeing rumors about this? I hope it's true. It needs one in the box for sure.
    The Verge article about the Moto Z says it'll come with a Style Shell in the box.
    06-14-2016 12:48 PM
    I actually hope the "Moto" logo above the fingerprint reader is just for the Verizon model.

If it's on the unlocked variant, I'll be getting HTC black bar flashbacks.
    Is there an unlocked model rumored?
    06-14-2016 12:59 PM
    Is there an unlocked model rumored?
    Its not a rumor, there will be a US unlocked GSM version of the Moto Z (but not the Force version) this fall.
    06-14-2016 01:02 PM
    Its not a rumor, there will be a US unlocked GSM version of the Moto Z (but not the Force version) this fall.
    The Force is a Verizon exclusive in the US, in other words? That's a real shame. The battery on the standard Z just seems too wimpy for its screen size and resolution.
    06-14-2016 03:27 PM
    But then they'll just want you to buy that battery mod and voila, it's now 4800 size ;-).
    06-14-2016 03:39 PM
    Essentially, there is no Moto Z Force, just a Moto Z Force DROID EDITION.
    06-14-2016 04:36 PM
    I don't mind re-designs or thinness, per se. My complain is why make the phone so thin, just to add battery pack or other "mods"?

For as much as phones costs, many folks can't afford to figure out past the 14 day return window how back the battery life sucks on their new $600 plus device! (referring to my S6)

what would have been nice are good/decent front facing speaker (enough top and bottom bezel for that)!

Anyway, it's almost wallpaper Wednesday!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-14-2016 04:44 PM
    I think that whatever MotoMods were shown at the unveiling might be it, with maybe one or two added. Heck, we might not even see all that were shown actually hit production. The problem for Moto, that also affects the LGs and HTCs of the world, is that the accessory market is a wasteland because they don't sell enough to warrant investment in the market.

Go try to find high-end accessories for an HTC 10 or LG G5. I had the HTC 10 for over a month, and there isn't much available. Basically, accessory makers prioritize the iPhone first, then the Galaxy line, and that's about it. Sure, Cruzerlite, Spigen, and Diztronic make cases for just about everything, but good luck finding a Rokform, Element Case, or Otterbox Universe for anything that isn't Apple or Samsung. Now people expect $200+ dollar accessories for a phone line that MIGHT have sold the amount of phones since 2013 that Apple and Samsung sell in a quarter? I don't see it happening.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-14-2016 09:36 PM
101 12345