Confessions of a Motorola Fangirl: The Honeymoon is Over

Ara Wagoner

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I was a huge Motorola fan a few years ago. I waited months to buy my 2013 Moto X. I’d found my color combination in ten minutes and fallen in love. It was the last AT&T-branded I would ever willingly buy, and I loved it to death. No, literally. I used it quite hard and it shorted out less than two months after purchase. And I got burn-in on the next two 2013’s I went through, and when my last 2013 got upgraded to a 2014 by Motorola Support, I was honestly a little fearful about the size jump. But I loved the 2014 Moto X, even if I had to go from my lovely white face to black to avoid the pimply look of the IR sensors… And it was a faithful, if slightly underpowered and overworked device, and I loved the fluff out of Touchless Controls AKA Moto Voice.

moto-x-2015-41.jpg

The 2015 Moto X announcement left me groaning. Sure, they’d finally added a microSD slot, and sure, they’d finally given it enough power (though perhaps not enough batter), but the thing was a whale. Maybe not a whale like the Nexus 6 had seemed the year before, but my size 7 jeans and their tiny, tiny pockets looked at that phone and cried. And I couldn’t in good conscience upgrade to it.

Moto Z Front and Back.jpg

This year, the Moto Z announcement is months earlier, again. And it left me groaning a little, again. I don’t think the device is terrible. Far from it, in fact; it looks like it’d be an interesting phone to play with, especially from my customization-obsessed viewpoint. But at 5.5” and any illusion of small bezels abandoned, it was still a big phone (though not the KAIJU the Phab 2 Pro was). Even worse, by the time I’d be able to buy it unlocked, it’d be old news and fighting with the full fall release schedule.

It’s one thing for a phone to be a carrier exclusive for a month. It’s another thing for a phone to be a world exclusive for an entire Duarte-damned season.

moto-z-force-07.jpg

While this phone is new and hot, it’s only available to subscribers of the big red devil checkmark. And when it comes to GSM and the rest of the world in the fall, it will be old news, even if new and noteworthy Motomods are coming out. It will be up against the new Note, the leaks of the new Nexus phones, and the new iPhones. Unless those mods are insanely hot, I don’t see the Moto Z competing with the Fall lineup. Releasing worldwide in the summer would at least give it a few months to get out there and get really used before it had to deal with newer shiner ****.

I do not take issue with three of the more popular dings on the phone:

moto-z-force-03.jpg

It doesn’t have a headphone jack. Fine. I use Bluetooth most of the time anyway. It’s one less thing to break and it means I have an excuse to go test out USB-C headphones, including those noise-cancelling ones from HTC I’m still waiting for. And if you’re a true audiophile, you’re not buying this phone anyway, you’re buying a V10, HTC 10, or an audio-centric phone. Android’s about choice, and if you’re an audiophile or someone who just hates Bluetooth (you are WRONG, by the by), then you have other options to exercise. No one’s holding a gun to your head to buy this phone.

moto-z-force-02.jpg

It’s not too thin. It’s not. All the people who went to the demo area and started using the phone without at least a Style Shell on it said the phone is too thin, and they’re right, but this is not a phone that was made to be used naked. You don’t need those pogo pins exposed and vulnerable, so if you’re not getting either a case (oh sweet binary, the case market for this phone is gonna be a nightmare), you should at least be getting a Style Shell to cover the pins. Get a nice color or maybe the leather. Cleaning the leather won’t be a ***** this time since you can take it off the phone! Or get a battery mod in a nice design and be functional _and_ fashionable.

moto-z-force-08.jpg

The instant you put a shell or Motomod on this phone, it’s no longer too thin. Once you get into the functional mods like the speakers or the pico projector, the phone’s verging on too thick. If the phone had been made the same thickness as a Galaxy S7, once you stuck a shell on it, it’d’ve been too thick. It’s not too thin; it’s just not a complete phone out of the box, which is a whole other issue that needs to be discussed closer to launch.

moto-z-and-z-force-03.jpg

The camera bump is ugly and it makes the bump pointless. The camera bump has a point, and they're some pretty points, too. The first being that you needed more space for the camera sensor, the flashes and the laser focus. Second, if the camera wasn’t bumped out, once you put a shell on it, the camera would be recessed, which would be pointless, and once you’d put the speaker/projector mod on, it’d be in a tunnel. Third, the camera’s bump is distinctive and helps keep the magnetic mods aligned and in place instead of slipping all over the back of this steel smartphone.

That camera bump ain’t pointless - it’s required.

moto-z-hands-on-4.jpg

There’s still a lot about the Moto Z to love, and it’s the stuff that wasn’t even mentioned in the presentation. It’s the IR sensors that lit up the screen when Yang Yuanqing finally pulled the sheet off the Moto Z. It’s the Moto Voice that I still use even more than I use Google Now because Google Now still won’t let me customize my launch phrase. It’s the mostly stripped down version of Android that Motorola achieved during its short tenure under Google. That’s the Motorola I fell in love with, and it’s still hiding under the mods and the camera bumps and that horrible square fingerprint scanner (WHAT WERE YOU THINKING). And even though that Motorola is still hiding in there, it can’t break the spell and give me back the magical phones I proudly owned the last few years.

The honeymoon is over. And Motorola needs to get through this mid-life crisis, get out of these horrendous Verizon exclusives, and get its spark back.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Going to take a week or two for everyone to say their piece and move on. It'll probably reignite when the release happens, but hopefully not so much. Maybe a subforum just for people to say they aren't buying the phone would be helpful.

Ara Wagoner

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Depending on pricing and how much work Ac's throwing me in the fall, I still might buy the phone, but I felt compelled to defend it against all the arguments it's getting. Especially the too thin/camera bump one.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
You put a good list together. I do marketing analytics for a living and I'd love to have access to reddit, ac, and a few other forums raw data to crunch through the volume if the various moto Z complaints. A lot of them have merit, but the real question is did moto burn enough people to make the Z a failure outside of verizon (who will sell millions).

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Going to take a week or two for everyone to say their piece and move on. It'll probably reignite when the release happens, but hopefully not so much. Maybe a subforum just for people to say they aren't buying the phone would be helpful.

The Moto Z is quite the controversial phone. It's odd. The tech press seems to be excited. Most of these hands-on videos have so far been positive, save for Verizon exclusivity and no announced pricing for the phone and mods, and no solid release date.

I understand the business decisions. I don't believe that the Moto Z is in anyway gimped when it comes to specs because of the availability of MotoMods. MotoMods are pretty exciting to me and Lenovo seems to be going all in with support.

There's also this Nexus elitist attitude that the 6P is this godsend of a device and that fingerprint sensors must be on the rear to be in the correct place. Speakers must be dual and front facing. LIKEZOMGFAILFAILFAIL. But damn. Be together, not the same - right? Moto's trying to do some crazy stuff. It's in their DNA. Project Ara started there. They did Webtop and Lapdocks when phones weren't powerful enough to support them yet. All the rad enhancements added on top of Android in the Moto app are still there.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
View attachment 229860

It doesn’t have a headphone jack. Fine. I use Bluetooth most of the time anyway. It’s one less thing to break and it means I have an excuse to go test out USB-C headphones, including those noise-cancelling ones from HTC I’m still waiting for. And if you’re a true audiophile, you’re not buying this phone anyway, you’re buying a V10, HTC 10, or an audio-centric phone. Android’s about choice, and if you’re an audiophile or someone who just hates Bluetooth (you are WRONG, by the by), then you have other options to exercise. No one’s holding a gun to your head to buy this phone.

Right?!

I can't wait for Apple and any other large OEMs to start releasing phones sans headphone jacks.

View attachment 229863

The camera bump is ugly and it makes the bump pointless. The camera bump has a point, and they're some pretty points, too. The first being that you needed more space for the camera sensor, the flashes and the laser focus. Second, if the camera wasn’t bumped out, once you put a shell on it, the camera would be recessed, which would be pointless, and once you’d put the speaker/projector mod on, it’d be in a tunnel. Third, the camera’s bump is distinctive and helps keep the magnetic mods aligned and in place instead of slipping all over the back of this steel smartphone.

That camera bump ain’t pointless - it’s required.

And let's be honest, most people will probably have a Style Shell on it.

View attachment 229864

There’s still a lot about the Moto Z to love, and it’s the stuff that wasn’t even mentioned in the presentation. It’s the IR sensors that lit up the screen when Yang Yuanqing finally pulled the sheet off the Moto Z. It’s the Moto Voice that I still use even more than I use Google Now because Google Now still won’t let me customize my launch phrase. It’s the mostly stripped down version of Android that Motorola achieved during its short tenure under Google. That’s the Motorola I fell in love with, and it’s still hiding under the mods and the camera bumps and that horrible square fingerprint scanner (WHAT WERE YOU THINKING). And even though that Motorola is still hiding in there, it can’t break the spell and give me back the magical phones I proudly owned the last few years.

Make it a circle and they're copying Apple. Rectangle with rounded corners and they're copying Samsung.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Depending on pricing and how much work Ac's throwing me in the fall, I still might buy the phone, but I felt compelled to defend it against all the arguments it's getting. Especially the too thin/camera bump one.

Pricing will be huge. $599.99 or higher with no mods and it'll be a tough sell. Start around $399.99 and it'll be a compelling option.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Pricing will be huge. $599.99 or higher with no mods and it'll be a tough sell. Start around $399.99 and it'll be a compelling option.

Totally agree with you. Pricing it lower leaves room in the budget for more mods as well.

Alex_Hong

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm probably a minority here since I haven't heard too many mention this, but putting the "moto" logo on the front is a step backwards for me.

Maybe because the front is already so messy to begin with, an extra logo can't hurt much.

The Black style mod that Android central uses in their photos looks pretty darn sweet btw.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I think the black front looks pretty clean and the white looks cluttered, just like the last two years.

29a76d7195122ed968744aa435a77053.jpg

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Moto's trying to do some crazy stuff. It's in their DNA. Project Ara started there. They did Webtop and Lapdocks when phones weren't powerful enough to support them yet. All the rad enhancements added on top of Android in the Moto app are still there.
That was Moto. This isn't Moto, it's Lenovo. The old Moto is gone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
That was Moto. This isn't Moto, it's Lenovo. The old Moto is gone.

All evidence points to this being the track Moto was always on.

Per a VP of Product Management, Motorola has been looking at this for years and it's a different idea than Lenovo's modular computing ideas.

https://youtu.be/pIIoRCSRIQA

Again, Motorola did Webtop/Lapdock and Project Ara. Just looking at history without an employee saying they've been looking at this kind of stuff for years, the Moto Z is very much Motorola.

Just because this isn't the phone you want doesn't make it any less Motorola.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm probably a minority here since I haven't heard too many mention this, but putting the "moto" logo on the front is a step backwards for me.

Maybe because the front is already so messy to begin with, an extra logo can't hurt much.

The Black style mod that Android central uses in their photos looks pretty darn sweet btw.

I think because DROID branding went to the flat tire camera hump and they still wanted moto branding, we have moto on the front.

I kind of want there to be a Verizon check mark just to I can watch everyone's crazy reaction to it.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
All evidence points to this being the track Moto was always on.

Per a VP of Product Management, Motorola has been looking at this for years and it's a different idea than Lenovo's modular computing ideas.

https://youtu.be/pIIoRCSRIQA

Again, Motorola did Webtop/Lapdock and Project Ara. Just looking at history without an employee saying they've been looking at this kind of stuff for years, the Moto Z is very much Motorola.

Just because this isn't the phone you want doesn't make it any less Motorola.

Webtop/Lapdock was a failure. I don't see these mods being any more successful.

I played with an LG G5 today. Granted, I wasn't crazy about the feel of it in my hand. However, it doesn't look like it's missing parts by itself without any modules attached to it.

If I had no choice but to get the Z or the G5, I'd take the G5, since it doesn't have a fps on the front or exposed pieces of metal on the back.

My other concern is how those metal contacts on the back that are exposed if one doesn't use a module will be affected by holding the device with sweaty hands.

Last edited:

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
There's also this Nexus elitist attitude that the 6P is this godsend of a device and that fingerprint sensors must be on the rear to be in the correct place. Speakers must be dual and front facing. LIKEZOMGFAILFAILFAIL.

Nexus phones aren't the only ones to have a rear fingerprint sensor. The argument is it made sense to make the Moto dimple the sensor as the Nexus 6 was intended, regardless of the Moto mods. To me it makes sense for either front sensor and home button as one with back and recents to the sides and no in screen keys or have the in screen keys but move the sensor out of there. It just looks weird and seems like it will be confusing to use. The sensor is used to unlock the device but one presses home very often on a phone. The sensor shouldn't be front and center and taking up all the real estate it is without at least doubling as a home button. There even the option of having it on the side as Sony does...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Webtop/Lapdock was a failure. I don't see these mods being any more successful.

I played with an LG G5 today. Granted, I wasn't crazy about the feel of it in my hand. However, it doesn't look like it's missing parts by itself without any modules attached to it.

If I had no choice but to get the Z or the G5, I'd take the G5, since it doesn't have a fps on the front or exposed pieces of metal on the back.

Then it's still the same Motorola failure. The only thing Lenovo did was put up the money for Moto to go through with this crazy idea.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Nexus phones aren't the only ones to have a rear fingerprint sensor. The argument is it made sense to make the Moto dimple the sensor as the Nexus 6 was intended, regardless of the Moto mods. To me it makes sense for either front sensor and home button as one with back and recents to the sides and no in screen keys or have the in screen keys but move the sensor out of there. It just looks weird and seems like it will be confusing to use. The sensor is used to unlock the device but one presses home very often on a phone. The sensor shouldn't be front and center and taking up all the real estate it is without at least doubling as a home button. There even the option of having it on the side as Sony does...

I get that. That Nexus 6 should have had the fingerprint sensor on the back. It made sense for every Moto X to have it on the back right at the dimple too.

But the design of the MotoMods can't allow for a rear fingerprint sensor. And this is a Moto Z, not a Moto X.

Let me break down the circle of negativity and bitterness.

Fingerprint sensor should have been on the back.

You can't do that with the current design of the MotoMods.

MotoMods are stupid. They gimped the Moto Z just so they can upsell you on mods.

So you just want a new Moto X?

Yes! Lenovo ate Motorola's soul. This ain't Moto!!!

But Moto historically has tried some crazy stuff.

But mods are stupid. The Moto X stood for something.

The first gen was overpriced and underspec'ed. The second got bigger and dropped some carriers. The third gen had two phones, wait make that three. They sold two of them to Verizon and had zero carriers for the Style/Pure.

Whatever. The Moto Z isn't what I want so it's an automatic fail.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
But the design of the MotoMods can't allow for a rear fingerprint sensor. And this is a Moto Z, not a Moto X.
The mods could have been designed differently in order to accommodate a rear fps.

One of the things I dislike is a large bezel footprint, no matter what device. The iPhone is the worst to me in terms of excessive bezel size and screen to body ratio.

I didn't like the Turbo 2 either, due to the large bezel to accommodate the Verizon logo.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay