Confessions of a Motorola Fangirl: The Honeymoon is Over

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I love the concept of the Moto Z. Each person gets to pick the feature that most appeals to them and make the phone great at it.
I like the fact that the phone is a true flagship device without any mods as well (assuming the camera quality is decent). I really don't buy for a second the complaints that moto "removed" stuff from the phone and are making you "buy them back" via mods. It's competitive with everything else out there and you can snap on enhancements if you want.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a fan of the Z yet and it's not looking like I will become one. All the mods plus the thinness sans mods just doens't trip my trigger not to mention no unlocked, bloat free model for Verizon. Glad to see the different options coming along for us phone geek consumers tho as options are good. I believe I'll pass on this and wait to see what the next X brings along to the table. Meanwhile my MXPE is still going strong.

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I like the fact that the phone is a true flagship device without any mods as well (assuming the camera quality is decent). I really don't buy for a second the complaints that moto "removed" stuff from the phone and are making you "buy them back" via mods. It's competitive with everything else out there and you can snap on enhancements if you want.
I've been a Motorola fan, having owned the Droid Razr, Maxx, T1 & T2. With that said, the S7 gets you a great camera, water resistance, wireless charging, etc. Now, it appears, you will have to pay extra for several of those features on the Z, AND you won't be able to have them on the phone at the same time. The key will be the price. My guess is that even if the price of the phone is lower, by the time you slap on a couple of the mods, the total price will be higher. If Moto can sell it, more power to them. Time will tell.....

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I really don't buy for a second the complaints that moto "removed" stuff from the phone and are making you "buy them back" via mods.

I don't think that's the argument, but I could be wrong. The example that I had was audio. It is virtually 99% probable that the Z is going to be weaker at headphone playback for music, etc. than other flagships. The technology required to push a fantastic listening experience is simply absent from the Z, so there's no stretch in logic there. That doesn't mean it won't be good, it just means that it is obvious that OEM's that focused on that experience are going to do better in that category. It is obvious that they had constraints, such as budget, profile, etc. to work within that precluded them being able to ring that bell - but it still means that it is the weaker offering (on that category) out of the box. Now, as we explored before, nothing about the mods changes that. So it's not that they removed anything, the X 2015 didn't have the proper tech either - and it's not that it's a cash grab, because the tech still isn't available, even with mods. And it probably won't be.

It's competitive with everything else out there and you can snap on enhancements if you want.

This is likely true. As a whole package, the X 2015 was very competitive (especially at it's price) and the Z almost certainly didn't go backwards on any of the features that the majority of consumers love. I suspect they may target a similar price point this year and if they do, yeah - that's a fighter. I also have a feeling that unbreakable screen and waterproof Z Force is going to be popular for obvious reasons, assuming that it gets marketed.

Now here's a very important part. We KNOW that smartphones are nowhere near being able to put out high quality images that rival digital shooters without modules or some sort of similar device. If Moto can execute well on that particular module and get it out there so the majority of consumers know about it, that's the winner right there. Because while lately AC readership has been on an audio quality kick - let's be real and assume that just like the on screen vs off screen button debate, the vast majority of consumers couldn't care less about headphone audio quality. But almost everyone cares about how good their shots are when they take pictures - and a huge number of people don't take pictures with their phones because their DLSR is just that much better for the most important shots. If Moto can sell the idea that someone can truly take one device out of their bag - and if is is TRUE, then that's the winner.

TLDR version:

Moto should ignore what I want.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I've been a Motorola fan, having owned the Droid Razr, Maxx, T1 & T2. With that said, the S7 gets you a great camera, water resistance, wireless charging, etc. Now, it appears, you will have to pay extra for several of those features on the Z, AND you won't be able to have them on the phone at the same time. The key will be the price. My guess is that even if the price of the phone is lower, by the time you slap on a couple of the mods, the total price will be higher. If Moto can sell it, more power to them. Time will tell.....
None of the features of the Z were previously available from the x line then ripped out to be sold as modules, they are enhancements beyond what the x line previously offered and in some cases what no other flagship is offering (10x optical zoom, 5000+ total mah battery).

The s7 has some things going for it, and some negatives which would forever prevent me from buying one. All indications are that the base Z will have some good and bad too.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I'll give you the wireless charging one. Previous DROIDs had it. But no previous Moto had it in the US.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I don't buy that argument at all either.

It could be that we're seeing the phone mostly exposed and to some, the connector could look like there's something missing.

Moto needs to show this phone off with the connectors exposed so people know what they are. But when these things hit the market, I doubt anyone is going to use the phone without at least a Style Shell, and it's rumored to ship with one.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Well, I guess trapezoids and octagons are still available!

I would prefer a circle, heck draw the Motorola batwing logo inside and ditch the "moto" text on the front.

MazoMark

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I would prefer a circle, heck draw the Motorola batwing logo inside and ditch the "moto" text on the front.

I agree and my reply was meant as joke. Anyone who thinks Apple invented circles is going to find something else to complain about. Moto should have just used a circle. To me, the horrible looking square fingerprint sensor is one of the few design mistakes Moto made on this phone. Unfortunately, it was a really bad mistake in my opinion that detracts from entire front of phone.

Although I do have to admit, a unicorn fingerprint sensor with a Verizon red check mark branded to its hindquarters would be pretty awsome:)

Cajun_Mike

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
I am an owner of a Droid Turbo. And while i have loved everything about this phone, i have despised the camera at times.
Until the reveal last week, i had pretty much decided my next phone (When my two year Verizon contract ends in October) would either be the HTC-10 or the 2016 Nexus. If the reviews of the Moto Z camera are in the same range as the S7, HTC10, LG G5 and Iphone, then it moves to the top of my list pending reviews of the new Nexus.

Your gripe about the Verizon exclusive for the short "summer months" is moot. I think many folks are like me and they are going to wait until they read the reviews on the Moto Z (especially the camera). Then they are going to wait to see what the new Nexus looks like this fall.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I am an owner of a Droid Turbo. And while i have loved everything about this phone, i have despised the camera at times.
Until the reveal last week, i had pretty much decided my next phone (When my two year Verizon contract ends in October) would either be the HTC-10 or the 2016 Nexus. If the reviews of the Moto Z camera are in the same range as the S7, HTC10, LG G5 and Iphone, then it moves to the top of my list pending reviews of the new Nexus.

You opened up a pretty large range by including the iPhones. Phones that are in that range are HTC 10, S7 Edge, S6 Edge Plus, Note 5, S6 Edge, Priv, Nexus 6P/5X, LG G5, Moto G Plus, Droid Turbo 2, LG G4, Moto X Style, Note 4 and the most recent two years of iPhones. Given that last year's Moto devices and this year's Moto G Plus are all in that list, I'd say we can safely bet that this year's Moto flagships will be in the same range.

Cajun_Mike

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
You opened up a pretty large range by including the iPhones. Phones that are in that range are HTC 10, S7 Edge, S6 Edge Plus, Note 5, S6 Edge, Priv, Nexus 6P/5X, LG G5, Moto G Plus, Droid Turbo 2, LG G4, Moto X Style, Note 4 and the most recent two years of iPhones. Given that last year's Moto devices and this year's Moto G Plus are all in that list, I'd say we can safely bet that this year's Moto flagships will be in the same range.

No one says that the quality of photos from the Droid turbo 2 are in the same class as HTC 10 or S7.

Like I said, I am a fan of Motorola build quality and the gestures and close to stock Android

But the cameras need to be elevated and in the same conversation as the two I mentioned..

Now, the Verizon crap I get. The lack of timely updates mainly... Every phone ive ever bought immediately gets a Diztronic tpu case so all the namby pamby crying about Verizon logos is another non factor with me.

Verizon has the best 4G coverage in South Louisiana so I ain't switching. :p

Posted via the Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
No one says that the quality of photos from the Droid turbo 2 are in the same class as HTC 10 or S7.

Those two are the top of the pile, yes ... but you mentioned four phones in the post that I quoted ("If the reviews of the Moto Z camera are in the same range as the S7, HTC10, LG G5 and Iphone, then it moves to the top of my list pending reviews of the new Nexus.") - and the iPhones are what make that a wide range - because the iPhone 6s Plus is part of a 5 way tie for 7th place and the 6s, 6 Plus and 6 are in a 5 way tie for 15th place. So by including the iPhones, you we're either talking about Moto placing in the top 11 or top 19 devices. The Moto G Plus, this year's Moto G, is already part of that first tie for 7th and therefore qualifies and all the phones that I listed are in that top 19 category (along with some I didn't list), including last year's Moto phones.

So that's the data based on what I was responding to. If you want it to be as good as the S7, HTC10, LG G5 and iPhone, then you're asking it to be in the top 1-11 or top 1-19 devices - and it's pretty likely that you will be happy, because the budget version of this generation of Moto phones already qualifies and we'd expect their flagship to be better than or the same as the G.

If you want it to join the tie for 1st place that the S7 and HTC 10 occupy... I would never make a bet that's going to happen. Last year Moto did manage to tie the G4, which was in second, but it was at the Samsung caliber last year either. It was the best they'd ever done, but since that time, a whole lot of phones have been released that passed the Style and the G4 and it'd take a major improvement to move up from the 5 way tie for 7th that the G occupies to pushing on the ceiling where the HTC 10 and S7 Edge are.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie