12-17-2016 03:03 PM
177 12345 ...
tools
    I may be wrong on this, but doesn't every phone with USB-C already have quick charging through USB Power Delivery? If so, it should work just fine with all USB-C ports.

Also, even though it's branded as Turbo Power, if it IS Qualcomm quick charge, it will also quick charge other Qualcomm quick charge phones.

(side note, talking about different standards makes my brain hurt)
    The LG G5 and HTC use Qualcomm Quick Charge with USB-C.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    07-21-2016 11:23 AM
    I may be wrong on this, but doesn't every phone with USB-C already have quick charging through USB Power Delivery? If so, it should work just fine with all USB-C ports.

Also, even though it's branded as Turbo Power, if it IS Qualcomm quick charge, it will also quick charge other Qualcomm quick charge phones.

(side note, talking about different standards makes my brain hurt)
    USB C and USB Power Delivery aren't automatically interchangeable, so far the phones I know of with USB C are, OnePlus 2, OnePlus 3, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, HTC 10, LG G5, Moto Z (and variants), Axon 7. The ones with USB PD are Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, LG G5. Oddly enough, the G5 has PD AND QC 3.0, which is weird.
    Tom Westrick likes this.
    07-21-2016 11:24 AM
    Exactly. No Motorola phone gets the security updates on a monthly basis.

LG and HTC are also not hitting every month, not to mention all the other non headliner OEMs. Right now Samsung is hitting them on most recent flagships and the Priv is hitting monthly and that's it. It's not clear if Moto is saying they're not going to guarantee updates or if they're not going to do them at all. Obviously a range of responses depending on what they actually said and mean.
    07-21-2016 11:26 AM
    Ok, Phil - here's the million dollar question. Will my wife like it more than her G4 Plus that she really, really likes? Here's her quote moving to the G4 + with 64GB & 4GB RAM from the Nexus 6 and LG G4 before that:

Me: you're using the backup cheapy phone right now

Her: I like this phone. It doesn't feel cheap to me. But I'm not a tech nerd. So I can't tell the difference.
    libra89 likes this.
    07-21-2016 11:35 AM
    Is the MOTO-Z made by Lenovo?
    07-21-2016 11:37 AM
    Yes.
    07-21-2016 11:38 AM
    On the front finger print scanner, I'm using a moto g4 plus right now and I LOVE the front finger print scanner. I also used the 5x and 6p as daily drivers for months. I can't possibly type how much more I LOVE front finger print scanners. Makes me sad the new nexii will be on the back again.
    Aquila, Ry and libra89 like this.
    07-21-2016 11:40 AM
    They are not centered vertically. Maybe I am just picky but they may lose me on that.

Does the Doze feature work, or work well? I know some manufacturers' implementation of MM tend to not reflect the best potential of doze.

Also expandable memory feature?
    07-21-2016 11:43 AM
    Apparently (according to Ars Technica) Motorola flatly says they won't be doing security updates for the Moto Z phones. Did they say anything to you guys about that? Are we really just going to be stuck with insecure phones a year from now? The recent support has already been terrible, with the unlocked Moto X Pure getting May's update just this week. It's quite a fall from the heyday of fast updates when Motorola was a Google brand.

edit: missed that Phil already answered this. There's a big difference to skipping something every now and then and saying "we're not going to do this at all", which Moto seems to be saying the latter.
    On the front finger print scanner, I'm using a moto g4 plus right now and I LOVE the front finger print scanner. I also used the 5x and 6p as daily drivers for months. I can't possibly type how much more I LOVE front finger print scanners. Makes me sad the new nexii will be on the back again.
    I prefer the back but having tried the Moto G4 Plus, it's a really good sensor and not that difficult to reach... just use my thumb more where I use my index finger on the Nexus.
    No. It's made by Moto. (Nee Motorola.) Moto is owned by Lenovo.
    Ry and libra89 like this.
    07-21-2016 11:45 AM
    Also expandable memory feature?
    It supports MicroSD and OTG with Adoptable Storage
    07-21-2016 11:45 AM
    edit: missed that Phil already answered this. There's a big difference to skipping something every now and then and saying "we're not going to do this at all", which Moto seems to be saying the latter.
    Like I said, I'm checking on that. Because something about that just sounds off.
    07-21-2016 11:49 AM
    Does the Doze feature work, or work well? I know some manufacturers' implementation of MM tend to not reflect the best potential of doze.
    Doze works fine. There's no grade of Doze or anything. Doze either is on, or it's not on.
    07-21-2016 11:49 AM
    Is the phone encrypted?
    07-21-2016 11:56 AM
    Hey Phil, how decent is the battery life without the mods(like overall and screen on time)? And when you put on the Battery mod, how thick the Z becomes? Can you say in milimeters ou campare with another smartphone?
    07-21-2016 12:01 PM
    Hey Phil, how decent is the battery life without the mods(like overall and screen on time)? And when you put on the Battery mod, how thick the Z becomes? Can you say in milimeters ou campare with another smartphone?
    No, because we all use our phones differently. (Which is why I don't like those "Here's how fast the battery drained loading web pages" tests.

Please see the section on battery life in the review.
    libra89 likes this.
    07-21-2016 12:11 PM
    Is the phone encrypted?
    Yes. And it properly gives the option to require PIN to boot.
    07-21-2016 12:12 PM
    BTW ... Stay tuned to the AC Facebook page today. Might be having a little live fun.
    Aquila likes this.
    07-21-2016 12:17 PM
    Does the wireless charging battery pack charge only the pack itself? Can it charge the internal battery of the Moto Z as well?
    07-21-2016 12:17 PM
    Like I said, I'm checking on that. Because something about that just sounds off.
    Did you figure out whether or not it has multi-user support?
    07-21-2016 12:22 PM
    Did you figure out whether or not it has multi-user support?
    Sure. I looked. It doesn't. (Most phones still don't.)
    07-21-2016 12:26 PM
    BTW ... Stay tuned to the AC Facebook page today. Might be having a little live fun.
    Darn. I'll be at Comic-Con.

07-21-2016 12:26 PM
    Does the wireless charging battery pack charge only the pack itself? Can it charge the internal battery of the Moto Z as well?
    The line from Moto is: You can wirelessly charge both your Moto Z and the Power Pack when connected, or charge the Power Pack by itself.
    07-21-2016 12:28 PM
    Will the globally unlocked version still be able to be used on verizon? I'd rather have that one to avoid bloat, switch networks if I want, and be able to use it outside the country, but that $200 off at best buy is real tempting.
    DeerSteak likes this.
    07-21-2016 12:51 PM
177 12345 ...