08-04-2016 11:43 AM
69 123
tools
    The phone will receive the "monthly security patches", not "security patches, monthly". Not sure why that was ever really in doubt even though one website had said so. They have released security patches for their existing flagships, just not monthly.

I really don't get why people get worked up about whether they receive patches for theoretical exploits that have never been used in the wild every 4 weeks or a couple times a year. Unless you spend your days side loading shadey apps and browsing creepy websites on a rooted phone.
    PapaGary likes this.
    07-21-2016 08:06 PM
    How many of those people say, "what should I get?" And when you tell them, Nexus 5X! or OnePlus 3! And then then they buy a Galaxy S5 or iPhone SE in 2016 because it's free on contract?
    I have had 2 guys in the shop buy a Nexus 5x from my suggestion. However, in situations like this, one of my questions is 'Are you going to get a device through your carrier?'. If the answer is yes, it does help in eliminating options that I would not bother to suggest.
    Aquila and libra89 like this.
    07-21-2016 08:18 PM
    The phone will receive the "monthly security patches", not "security patches, monthly". Not sure why that was ever really in doubt even though one website had said so. They have released security patches for their existing flagships, just not monthly.

I really don't get why people get worked up about whether they receive patches for theoretical exploits that have never been used in the wild every 4 weeks or a couple times a year. Unless you spend your days side loading shadey apps and browsing creepy websites on a rooted phone.
    Well, if I were to spend $600+ on a phone having one that receives updates on a more frequent basis would be pretty appealing to me.

Then again, I'm not your typical layman.

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-21-2016 08:22 PM
    Well, if I were to spend $600+ on a phone having one that receives updates on a more frequent basis would be pretty appealing to me.

Then again, I'm not your typical layman.

Posted via the Android Central App
    It's appealing to me too, but not pitchfork-worthy.

I'm also curious what % of the pitch fork crowd is using either a nexus or one of the few Samsung phones that recently started to receive updates?

"Holy crap I'd never buy a moto Z without updates" says Joe Blow Hypocrisy on their oneplus, Sony, HTC, LG, or virtually any Samsung phone...
    Ry and sharkita like this.
    07-21-2016 08:36 PM
    I have had 2 guys in the shop buy a Nexus 5x from my suggestion. However, in situations like this, one of my questions is 'Are you going to get a device through your carrier?'. If the answer is yes, it does help in eliminating options that I would not bother to suggest.
    Guess you ask better questions. I just tell them to get away from Sprint and to buy the best phones.
    Golfdriver97 and libra89 like this.
    07-21-2016 10:44 PM
    Moto Z review: Lenovo brings a huge price increase, lame modular system | Ars Technica

Major updates now take several months instead of several weeks, and a Motorola rep told us the company won't be providing security updates for the Moto Z.
    Original quote says Motorola told Ron no security updates.

Motorola confirms that it will not commit to monthly security patches | Ars Technica

Motorola says it is "more efficient" to bundle security updates into fewer releases.
    Aquila likes this.
    07-26-2016 05:56 PM
    Ars sucks at reporting on this.

Moto's statement makes sense but they've also got to realize that Samsung, BlackBerry and Nexus are pushing updates with or without Moto. Yes, fewer with more is more efficient. It's also (theoretically) less secure and it's frustrating for people who are going to expect monthly updates on the day they release. How many of those people are there? At least 2. Probably not much more than that though.
    wonderbread likes this.
    07-26-2016 06:01 PM
    It just seems like Motorola could so easily claim near-Nexus fame and loyal following if they'd just commit to something like 18-24 months of monthly security and OS updates. Since they keep Android so near to stock, it seems like at least the security updates shouldn't be that big of a deal. Not doing so didn't keep me from ordering the phone, but if they were doing that, I'd have been all over it without nearly as much hesitation.
    Aquila likes this.
    07-26-2016 07:49 PM
    It just seems like Motorola could so easily claim near-Nexus fame and loyal following if they'd just commit to something like 18-24 months of monthly security and OS updates. Since they keep Android so near to stock, it seems like at least the security updates shouldn't be that big of a deal. Not doing so didn't keep me from ordering the phone, but if they were doing that, I'd have been all over it without nearly as much hesitation.
    They had near-Nexus fame with the first Moto X. That doesn't equal sales though.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    Aquila likes this.
    07-26-2016 08:11 PM
    They had near-Nexus fame with the first Moto X. That doesn't equal sales though.

No, it definitely does not. The majority of users don't even know Android has monthly security updates. Those that do know, probably found out because they were pissed about getting so many updates. The tiny minority who both know and want them.... well, they make a Nexus for that....
    07-26-2016 08:30 PM

That is so true. It's a shame the first Moto X didn't sell better than it did. Everyone in my circle of friends and co-workers had nothing but praise for mine but it wasn't enough to pry them away from their iPhones or Galaxies.
    Aquila likes this.
    07-26-2016 08:30 PM

Moto's statement makes sense but they've also got to realize that Samsung, BlackBerry and Nexus are pushing updates with or without Moto. Yes, fewer with more is more efficient. It's also (theoretically) less secure and it's frustrating for people who are going to expect monthly updates on the day they release. How many of those people are there? At least 2. Probably not much more than that though.
    More than two, if you go by the comments on the article. That said, Ars readers tend to be far more focused on security than the average tech enthusiast. It's not wrong, it's just a different focus.
    07-27-2016 09:59 AM
    More than two, if you go by the comments on the article. That said, Ars readers tend to be far more focused on security than the average tech enthusiast. It's not wrong, it's just a different focus.
    Ok, cool. I thought me and Jerry were the only ones that cared about it enough to base phone purchase decisions on it.
    07-27-2016 10:01 AM

Not in the short term, but reputations aren't usually built on one product. And just as Moto started to be known a little more widely for being near vanilla and getting fast updates, they broke promises and lost all trust on the updates front. I'd be a loyal Moto buyer if they'd stuck with it. As it is, I did order a Z, but because of specs & price. I would've just as easily ordered another brand.
    07-27-2016 11:59 AM
    Not in the short term, but reputations aren't usually built on one product. And just as Moto started to be known a little more widely for being near vanilla and getting fast updates, they broke promises and lost all trust on the updates front. I'd be a loyal Moto buyer if they'd stuck with it. As it is, I did order a Z, but because of specs & price. I would've just as easily ordered another brand.
    Near vanilla doesn't matter to general consumers though.
    07-27-2016 01:54 PM
    It regularly gets good reviews, though, so while it may not be a selling point to the masses, it's still a good thing for the user experience.
    07-27-2016 01:56 PM
    Better to report on it than to excuse it or give Moto a pass for old times' sake. I mean, if monthly updating is the only area in which Moto is taking a better-for-us approach to customer service and support, then maybe there's a reason to defend 'em. If not, then why bother?
    07-27-2016 02:04 PM
    This really is a whole lotta nothing to the masses people. You know how many times my parents have fretted about not having updates? Umm, that would be zero total. And they've never had anything happen to their phones. It makes for great forum discussion among a couple hundred people and that's about as far as the concern goes. Just like with the silly hand-wringing over carrier bloat. The masses don't care.
    07-27-2016 02:29 PM
    It regularly gets good reviews, though, so while it may not be a selling point to the masses, it's still a good thing for the user experience.
    Doesn't translate into sales so it's not that relevant in the grand scheme of things.
    07-27-2016 02:32 PM
    Better to report on it than to excuse it or give Moto a pass for old times' sake. I mean, if monthly updating is the only area in which Moto is taking a better-for-us approach to customer service and support, then maybe there's a reason to defend 'em. If not, then why bother?
    I hope they do the same thing for every phone they review going forward.
    07-27-2016 02:33 PM
    I hope they do the same thing for every phone they review going forward.
    This ^^ Almost every OEM fails in the exact same way, if we can call this failing, but no one gets called out for it but Moto and OnePlus.
    wonderbread likes this.
    07-27-2016 03:00 PM
    Doesn't translate into sales so it's not that relevant in the grand scheme of things.
    So the only thing relevant is... marketing? The top dogs in smartphones are Apple and Samsung. Both have an established reputation that they've built and protect, and market the crap out of. Reputation is a combination of consistent experience that people like, and hype. Just because something like supporting their products properly isn't easily turned into instant sales doesn't mean it doesn't play a role in building strong reputation that builds marketshare. Unless you think they should build on pure hype/marketing?
    Citizen Coyote likes this.
    07-27-2016 04:32 PM

The x pure is on the may patch, and one of the big selling points was fast updates. Moto has really dropped off the last year or so with updates. If you want updates, don't buy a moto.
    07-27-2016 04:35 PM
    So the only thing relevant is... marketing? The top dogs in smartphones are Apple and Samsung. Both have an established reputation that they've built and protect, and market the crap out of. Reputation is a combination of consistent experience that people like, and hype. Just because something like supporting their products properly isn't easily turned into instant sales doesn't mean it doesn't play a role in building strong reputation that builds marketshare. Unless you think they should build on pure hype/marketing?
    But sales and marketshare are essentially one in the same. Focus on what the 90% care about rather than the 10%, right?
    07-27-2016 04:38 PM
    The x pure is on the may patch, and one of the big selling points was fast updates. Moto has really dropped off the last year or so with updates. If you want updates, don't buy a moto.
    OS updates and security patches: buy a Nexus.

Security patches: buy a Nexus or a BlackBerry.

That's pretty much it.
    07-27-2016 04:39 PM
69 123