Motorola will NOT provide monthly security patches for the Z. Does that matter?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Moto Z review: Lenovo brings a huge price increase, lame modular system | Ars Technica

"The new Motorola has a terrible policy when it comes to software updates. Motorola has stated the Moto Z will not be receiving Android's monthly security updates. Since the shipping version only contains the May security patch, Motorola will be shipping an insecure phone right off the bat. There's a whole list of known vulnerabilities for June and July, most of which the Moto Z will be susceptible to. This is completely unacceptable for devices costing $600 and $700."

How much does this matter to the average consumer? How much does it matter to you?

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Let's be honest, the average consumer isn't going to care.

That doesn't make it right. Some friends have already asked me about getting this phone, and I'm not going to recommend the phone because of this.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'd go further and say that many consumers would actively not want the updates. Until Nougat is on these phones (are they getting Nougat?) the update process isn't invisible, so a lot of people decline updates out of hand because they think updates can ruin phones.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Will the average consumer care? Probably not very much.

Will I care? Very, and because of that, if this pans out to be true, I will no longer be recommending any Moto products to anyone.

Hope they will backtrack on this, especially considering the mess they are in right now.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Certain ways you can take that from Ron Amadeo.

No Motorola phone gets monthly security updates now. The Moto Z won't be different.

Will it ever get a security update? Like the other Motorola phones, probably.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Certain ways you can take that from Ron Amadeo.

No Motorola phone gets monthly security updates now. The Moto Z won't be different.

Will it ever get a security update? Like the other Motorola phones, probably.

Yes it is not clear that they're saying "no security updates evah" vs "not going to make a promise we know we can't keep".

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It's quite vague.

Is it not getting patches ever or is it not getting them as frequently as Google would wish for?

Right, the former is the dumbest thing ever an OEM could say on that topic. The latter is putting in on par with every OEM that's not Samsung, and then only recent Samsung. And then only on some specific devices. Not making a promise you don't intend to keep is a smart move if that's what they mean. Because people are still grumpy about some promises that Google Moto made that Lenovo Moto didn't or couldn't keep. And if Google Moto knew they were selling, then those promises shouldn't have been made on behalf of the prospective buyer.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I'd go further and say that many consumers would actively not want the updates. Until Nougat is on these phones (are they getting Nougat?) the update process isn't invisible, so a lot of people decline updates out of hand because they think updates can ruin phones.
My wife refuses every update to her note 4 forever. Hates any and all updates no matter what I tell her.

Also small point, updates will only be invisible on devices built for nougat and will not be the case for any phone released today.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Right, the former is the dumbest thing ever an OEM could say on that topic. The latter is putting in on par with every OEM that's not Samsung, and then only recent Samsung. And then only on some specific devices. Not making a promise you don't intend to keep is a smart move if that's what they mean. Because people are still grumpy about some promises that Google Moto made that Lenovo Moto didn't or couldn't keep. And if Google Moto knew they were selling, then those promises shouldn't have been made on behalf of the prospective buyer.
I can understand if they meant that they can't guarantee monthly patches, especially since when you make a promise, you will be absolutely grilled if you can't keep them, let alone keep them in a row.

But if they're really not giving it security patches, then that's the dumbest move any OEM can make in terms of security and I really hope that isn't the case because if this is what they meant, I will waste no time in absolutely roasting them to bits. Hope it's the former, because I can't imagine ANY OEM going for the latter.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I can understand if they meant that they can't guarantee monthly patches, especially since when you make a promise, you will be absolutely grilled if you can't keep them, let alone keep them in a row.

But if they're really not giving it security patches, then that's the dumbest move any OEM can make in terms of security and I really hope that isn't the case because if this is what they meant, I will waste no time in absolutely roasting them to bits. Hope it's the former, because I can't imagine ANY OEM going for the latter.

My vote is we give them the benefit of the doubt on what it means, which puts them on par with everyone Not Samsung for updates IMO. Until something comes out that is actually damning.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
My vote is we give them the benefit of the doubt on what it means, which puts them on par with everyone Not Samsung for updates IMO. Until something comes out that is actually damning.
Yeah. I think it's wise to go with that since it's more likely until Moto says anything.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Totally dumb move if the Moto Z never ever get security updates as some are assuming based on Ron Amadeo's phrasing.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm assuming they intend to update to Nougat. That'll at least come with some security updates :p At least an October patch and the better encryption, right?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
At the very least, they should give it some patches every now and then.

Not ideal and I'm still not going to be pleased with it, but it's still better than none at all, of which I hope isn't the case.

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I feel like for the price, it should get security updates. It's supposed to be a flagship right? It's supposed to be their cream of the crop right? Why not protect it?

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Well my MXPE is still on the February security patch. I wouldn't count on anything anymore. I thought Moto was good on security updates. Maybe it's a Lenovo thing. While I like Moto it's getting doubtful I'd get another one.

Bankz111

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
Trust me, the average user is never ever going to care. Heck they don't even know what those mean.. Looool.
Don't confuse the miniscle minority geeks for the public and even then, bout 70% of geeks won't even care tbh

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Food for thought: A normal user won't care one way or the other. But what about someone like me where I have a fair number of people who ask me for my opinion on what device to upgrade to. By not impressing me, that is an indirect influence on a number of other potential consumers.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Food for thought: A normal user won't care one way or the other. But what about someone like me where I have a fair number of people who ask me for my opinion on what device to upgrade to. By not impressing me, that is an indirect influence on a number of other potential consumers.

How many of those people say, "what should I get?" And when you tell them, Nexus 5X! or OnePlus 3! And then then they buy a Galaxy S5 or iPhone SE in 2016 because it's free on contract?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34