08-04-2016 11:43 AM
69 123
tools
    Moto Z review: Lenovo brings a huge price increase, lame modular system | Ars Technica

"The new Motorola has a terrible policy when it comes to software updates. Motorola has stated the Moto Z will not be receiving Android's monthly security updates. Since the shipping version only contains the May security patch, Motorola will be shipping an insecure phone right off the bat. There's a whole list of known vulnerabilities for June and July, most of which the Moto Z will be susceptible to. This is completely unacceptable for devices costing $600 and $700."

How much does this matter to the average consumer? How much does it matter to you?
    Feldon likes this.
    07-21-2016 11:11 AM
    Let's be honest, the average consumer isn't going to care.

That doesn't make it right. Some friends have already asked me about getting this phone, and I'm not going to recommend the phone because of this.
    Feldon and nexus15 like this.
    07-21-2016 11:15 AM
    I'd go further and say that many consumers would actively not want the updates. Until Nougat is on these phones (are they getting Nougat?) the update process isn't invisible, so a lot of people decline updates out of hand because they think updates can ruin phones.
    libra89 and Tom Westrick like this.
    07-21-2016 11:16 AM
    Will the average consumer care? Probably not very much.

Will I care? Very, and because of that, if this pans out to be true, I will no longer be recommending any Moto products to anyone.

Hope they will backtrack on this, especially considering the mess they are in right now.
    07-21-2016 11:17 AM
    Certain ways you can take that from Ron Amadeo.

No Motorola phone gets monthly security updates now. The Moto Z won't be different.

Will it ever get a security update? Like the other Motorola phones, probably.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    07-21-2016 11:20 AM
    Certain ways you can take that from Ron Amadeo.

No Motorola phone gets monthly security updates now. The Moto Z won't be different.

Will it ever get a security update? Like the other Motorola phones, probably.

Yes it is not clear that they're saying "no security updates evah" vs "not going to make a promise we know we can't keep".
    07-21-2016 11:30 AM
    It's quite vague.

Is it not getting patches ever or is it not getting them as frequently as Google would wish for?
    07-21-2016 11:32 AM
    It's quite vague.

Is it not getting patches ever or is it not getting them as frequently as Google would wish for?
    Right, the former is the dumbest thing ever an OEM could say on that topic. The latter is putting in on par with every OEM that's not Samsung, and then only recent Samsung. And then only on some specific devices. Not making a promise you don't intend to keep is a smart move if that's what they mean. Because people are still grumpy about some promises that Google Moto made that Lenovo Moto didn't or couldn't keep. And if Google Moto knew they were selling, then those promises shouldn't have been made on behalf of the prospective buyer.
    07-21-2016 11:33 AM
    I'd go further and say that many consumers would actively not want the updates. Until Nougat is on these phones (are they getting Nougat?) the update process isn't invisible, so a lot of people decline updates out of hand because they think updates can ruin phones.
    My wife refuses every update to her note 4 forever. Hates any and all updates no matter what I tell her.

Also small point, updates will only be invisible on devices built for nougat and will not be the case for any phone released today.
    07-21-2016 11:36 AM
    Right, the former is the dumbest thing ever an OEM could say on that topic. The latter is putting in on par with every OEM that's not Samsung, and then only recent Samsung. And then only on some specific devices. Not making a promise you don't intend to keep is a smart move if that's what they mean. Because people are still grumpy about some promises that Google Moto made that Lenovo Moto didn't or couldn't keep. And if Google Moto knew they were selling, then those promises shouldn't have been made on behalf of the prospective buyer.
    I can understand if they meant that they can't guarantee monthly patches, especially since when you make a promise, you will be absolutely grilled if you can't keep them, let alone keep them in a row.

But if they're really not giving it security patches, then that's the dumbest move any OEM can make in terms of security and I really hope that isn't the case because if this is what they meant, I will waste no time in absolutely roasting them to bits. Hope it's the former, because I can't imagine ANY OEM going for the latter.
    07-21-2016 11:39 AM
    I can understand if they meant that they can't guarantee monthly patches, especially since when you make a promise, you will be absolutely grilled if you can't keep them, let alone keep them in a row.

But if they're really not giving it security patches, then that's the dumbest move any OEM can make in terms of security and I really hope that isn't the case because if this is what they meant, I will waste no time in absolutely roasting them to bits. Hope it's the former, because I can't imagine ANY OEM going for the latter.
    My vote is we give them the benefit of the doubt on what it means, which puts them on par with everyone Not Samsung for updates IMO. Until something comes out that is actually damning.
    07-21-2016 11:41 AM
    My vote is we give them the benefit of the doubt on what it means, which puts them on par with everyone Not Samsung for updates IMO. Until something comes out that is actually damning.
    Yeah. I think it's wise to go with that since it's more likely until Moto says anything.
    07-21-2016 11:46 AM

Totally dumb move if the Moto Z never ever get security updates as some are assuming based on Ron Amadeo's phrasing.

07-21-2016 11:50 AM
    I'm assuming they intend to update to Nougat. That'll at least come with some security updates At least an October patch and the better encryption, right?
    07-21-2016 11:56 AM
    At the very least, they should give it some patches every now and then.

Not ideal and I'm still not going to be pleased with it, but it's still better than none at all, of which I hope isn't the case.
    07-21-2016 12:00 PM
    I feel like for the price, it should get security updates. It's supposed to be a flagship right? It's supposed to be their cream of the crop right? Why not protect it?
    07-21-2016 12:02 PM
    Well my MXPE is still on the February security patch. I wouldn't count on anything anymore. I thought Moto was good on security updates. Maybe it's a Lenovo thing. While I like Moto it's getting doubtful I'd get another one.
    libra89 likes this.
    07-21-2016 12:52 PM
    Trust me, the average user is never ever going to care. Heck they don't even know what those mean.. Looool.
    Don't confuse the miniscle minority geeks for the public and even then, bout 70% of geeks won't even care tbh
    07-21-2016 01:47 PM
    Food for thought: A normal user won't care one way or the other. But what about someone like me where I have a fair number of people who ask me for my opinion on what device to upgrade to. By not impressing me, that is an indirect influence on a number of other potential consumers.
    libra89, Citizen Coyote and Feldon like this.
    07-21-2016 05:03 PM
    Food for thought: A normal user won't care one way or the other. But what about someone like me where I have a fair number of people who ask me for my opinion on what device to upgrade to. By not impressing me, that is an indirect influence on a number of other potential consumers.
    How many of those people say, "what should I get?" And when you tell them, Nexus 5X! or OnePlus 3! And then then they buy a Galaxy S5 or iPhone SE in 2016 because it's free on contract?
    libra89 likes this.
    07-21-2016 05:14 PM
    How many of those people say, "what should I get?" And when you tell them, Nexus 5X! or OnePlus 3! And then then they buy a Galaxy S5 or iPhone SE in 2016 because it's free on contract?
    All of them
    07-21-2016 05:45 PM
    I've confirmed that the Moto Z WILL receive security updates.

Here's the official line, as I suspected:

Moto Z and Moto Z Force will be supported with patches from Android Security Bulletins. They will receive an update shortly after launch with additional patches.
    This solves the issue then. Its funny how much unjust flake some sites desperately want to give moto.

Anyway, reviews have being pretty stellar thus far, with some even basically drooling bout the design and the moto mods implementation on the Z's..
    An instant buy for me (with all the interesting mods). Tired of all the samey phones out there. Finally a breath of fresh air. Might check out the ip7+ though, even if it'll look like a potatoe
    07-21-2016 07:06 PM
    Confirmed: The Moto Z *will* receive security patches http://www.androidcentral.com/confir...curity-patches

07-21-2016 07:40 PM
    So, Phil just posted that the Moto Z will indeed receive security patches.

However, given their recent track record, I would certainly tone down my expectations to having maybe a couple of patches launched every now and then, rather than having one launched every month shortly after Google releases them.
    07-21-2016 07:44 PM
    Thank you @Phil good clarification
    07-21-2016 08:06 PM
69 123