Moto Z at Best Buy

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Just gripes the $hit outta me that they basically say you want to get one of our shiny new phones you will pay us $20 more each month for that privilege. No incentive to stay in contract IMO. Used to be no increase, subsidized device, and a 2 year renewal. The subsidized phone was your reward/incentive for resigning for another 2 year hitch. Now it's mess with the stupid payments, increase your monthly bill with the BS access charge. It's personal with me. I'd rather pay upfront for the phone I choose and stay out of contract anyway. It's a done deal. I'm going to be a free agent. At least they don't have their hooks in me. F' em.

So you want the phone for free, just for having service with Verizon?

We talking More Everything plan here?

IIRC, if you brought you own phone, you're getting a $20 discount (off of $40) for the smartphone line access charge. Get a new phone through the plan and the "discount" ends, but $20 x 24 (+ initial payment) would equal roughly to about the "full retail" price of the phone. After 24 months, the $20 discount kicks back in.

Am I missing something here?

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
So you want the phone for free, just for having service with Verizon?

We talking More Everything plan here?

IIRC, if you brought you own phone, you're getting a $20 discount (off of $40) for the smartphone line access charge. Get a new phone through the plan and the "discount" ends, but $20 x 24 (+ initial payment) would equal roughly to about the "full retail" price of the phone. After 24 months, the $20 discount kicks back in.

Am I missing something here?

Don't know if your missing something or not, maybe I am.
I don't expect a phone for free just for having service, that'd be crazy and not at all profitable for Verizon.

I'm talking the "M" or medium plan. 3GB data , UL talk and text.

I have had the $20 access monthly fee for awhile now and don't care to double it.

Example: Verizon lists the Z droid for $624 retail or $26 per month for 24 months of payments which equals the $624 after 2 years.

Now the access fee goes up by $20 for those 2 years or does it not? That's another $480 for the joy of being in contract, or do they waive the access charge increase if your buying on payments? Good question because Best Buy has it for a buck. In that case they would raise it.

So maybe clue me in if you know, does buying the Z on payments cause an increase in the access fee? and, does it put you in contract for another 2 years? Maybe different with different plans, I dunno just how the "M" plan fits in here. In any case back to my initial head scratcher, what's the incentive to be in contract? I'm not really seeing anything jump out at me. Some devices give you a gift card, some don't. Existing customers get bill credits of maybe $300? Still $180 short of enough to cover the access fee increase. So I'm thinking I'll be staying off contract., Much preferable to buy outright and make your best deal or wait a bit for the better deal and not have to deal with Verizon's BS.
Right above where you say "Am I missing something here" you state the access fee does last for two years which is what I also thought. That's $480!!! Yikes !! super rip off and can't possibly be right.
I do miss the days of the subsidized phones tho. $600 phones for maybe $300 if you resign for 2 years. Now that's a solid take it or leave it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't expect a phone for free just for having service, that'd be crazy and not at all profitable for Verizon.

I have had the $20 access monthly fee for awhile now and don't care to double it.

Example: Verizon lists the Z droid for $624 retail or $26 per month for 24 months of payments which equals the $624 after 2 years.

Now the access fee goes up by $20 for those 2 years or does it not? That's another $480 for the joy of being in contract, or do they waive the access charge increase if your buying on payments? Good question because Best Buy has it for a buck. In that case they would raise it.

So maybe clue me in if you know, does buying the Z on payments cause an increase in the access fee? and, does it put you in contract for another 2 years? Maybe different with different plans, I dunno just how the "M" plan fits in here. In any case back to my initial head scratcher, what's the incentive to be in contract? I'm not really seeing anything jump out at me. Some devices give you a gift card, some don't. Existing customers get bill credits of maybe $300? Still $180 short of enough to cover the access fee increase. So I'm thinking I'll be staying off contract., Much preferable to buy outright and make your best deal or wait a bit for the better deal and not have to deal with Verizon's BS.
Right above where you say "Am I missing something here" you state the access fee does last for two years which is what I also thought. That's $480!!! Yikes !! super rip off and can't possibly be right.
I do miss the days of the subsidized phones tho. $600 phones for maybe $300 if you resign for 2 years. Now that's a solid take it or leave it.

What plan are you on? Verizon Plan? More Everything?

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
What plan are you on? Verizon Plan? More Everything?

It's called the "M" plan for medium. I believe it's the Verizon medium plan. One number, one phone, one person on the account. $45+$20 access fee for a total of $65. No tax in Oregon.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It's called the "M" plan for medium. I believe it's the Verizon medium plan. One number, one phone, one person on the account. $45+$20 access fee for a total of $65. No tax in Oregon.

Could you login to your Verizon account and confirm whether More Everything Plan or Verizon Plan?

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

I'm pretty sure it's one or the other. Either you do device payments OR you do a 2yr contract with $20/mo higher access fee for that line. (I had to confirm that the 2yr contract does not increase the line access fee for a line that does not get a new phone - my wife kept her old phone.)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Or.. doing the math, is it $1 plus $480 instead of $624?

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it's one or the other. Either you do device payments OR you do a 2yr contract with $20/mo higher access fee for that line. (I had to confirm that the 2yr contract does not increase the line access fee for a line that does not get a new phone - my wife kept her old phone.)
So doing device payments is paying full retail over two years. This shouldn't increase your access fee. What's the benefit of the 2 year contract then? A doubling of the access fee and whatever the phone costs. Sounds bad. the Z at BB is a buck so ok not to bad, but every other phone is a lot more than that. Maybe with one line, one phone, one person on the account might not be the optimum deal available. I went on MY Verizon and went thru the order process to the end sans pushing submit of course and no mention of an increased access fee. I don't think they want you to know.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Or.. doing the math, is it $1 plus $480 instead of $624?

Sounds right. Seems made to confuse people tho. If true then buy Z for a buck get a $480 access fee bill over the 2 years. Ok. So buy from Verizon, same phone pay $624 with payments get the access increase or not? How about buy outright? No access fee increase and no contract. So getting back in contract seems to be what triggers the access fee increase. But buying on the installment plan is not being in contract? Sure seemed like it to me on My Verizon. Said I had an upgrade, said I could pay over two years, puts me back in contract. Back in contract means the increased access fee. Imagine being a senior citizen trying to figure out all this. And the reps would eat them alive.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
The access fee discount is for bringing your own device and not having a subsidized phone, at least on the More Everything plan. I get a $25 discount per line per month. If I go to Best Buy. I can get $200 off the device payment plan cost, pay over 24 months, and get the free speaker. That's not a bad deal. The problem is when they don't explain to someone if you get the subsidized price, you're in contract and will lose your line access fee discount.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Being on the installment plan is not under contract because you can pay off the device at any time, after the first 30 days or something.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Sounds right. Seems made to confuse people tho. If true then buy Z for a buck get a $480 access fee bill over the 2 years. Ok. So buy from Verizon, same phone pay $624 with payments get the access increase or not? How about buy outright? No access fee increase and no contract. So getting back in contract seems to be what triggers the access fee increase. But buying on the installment plan is not being in contract? Sure seemed like it to me on My Verizon. Said I had an upgrade, said I could pay over two years, puts me back in contract. Back in contract means the increased access fee. Imagine being a senior citizen trying to figure out all this. And the reps would eat them alive.

No additional access fee if you do a Verizon device payment plan. The $26 per month for the phone just gets added to your bill.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Best Buy can be confusing.

Here's a current promotion for a $45 GoPhone refill card.

FREE $45 REFILL CARD FOR AT&T GOPHONE
Get a free $45 refill card when you purchase any GoPhone smartphone and activate in store.

Limited time offer ends 9/5/16 while supplies last. In store only. Excludes iPhone. Smartphone and $45 airtime refill card must be purchased in same transaction and smartphone must be activated at point of sale. Offer may not be combined with other credits, discounts or offers. GoPhone: By activating or using GoPhone service, you agree to be bound by Terms of Service and Plan Terms available at att.com/gophoneterms. Service and features available for 30 days upon payment of rate plan charge. Taxes and other fees, charges and restrictions apply. For more information on coverage area, rates, plans and packages, go to att.com/gophone. Service by AT&T Mobility. © 2016 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved.

You'd think that buying any GoPhone smartphone would get you a $45 refill card for free. However, in-store, the deal is buy a GoPhone smartphone AND $45 refill card and get an additional $45 refill card for free.

dookie.

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Yes, if you're currently on a non-contract plan with $20/mo line access, and you get the phone under a 2yr contract deal, it will raise your line access fee to $40.

And what if you're on a plan so old there is no line access fee? I'm on an out of contract Nationwide w/UDP and am already paying the +$20 hit for UDP. Would a subsidy phone add yet another $20?

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
And what if you're on a plan so old there is no line access fee? I'm on an out of contract Nationwide w/UDP and am already paying the +$20 hit for UDP. Would a subsidy phone add yet another $20?
No idea, you'd have to ask a Verizon rep

dookie.

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
No idea, you'd have to ask a Verizon rep
That's funny, because I've already asked them.

Their phone rep told me there was no chance in hell that I could get a contract (subsidized) price anywhere without giving up the UDP. Then I pointed out that their own website was offering it to me.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
That's funny, because I've already asked them.

Their phone rep told me there was no chance in hell that I could get a contract (subsidized) price anywhere without giving up the UDP. Then I pointed out that their own website was offering it to me.

Every once in a while there's a work-around for such things, maybe you have/can find one...

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Wondering what the best deal might be without going back on contract. That dang $20 monthly increase goes a full 2 years. But is that what ya'll are doing? Buy for a buck, get the speaker mod and call it a day? Probably still need a battery mod also. I know the math works out decently in the buyers favor, but wondering if anyone got a decent deal from Verizon without going back to contract. Any discounts? Turn in an iphone maybe? I'm doubtful.
Anyone?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech