08-12-2016 08:34 PM
43 12
tools
    I was just at Best Buy this afternoon and they had the Moto Z and Moto Z Force on display. The Moto Z is stupid thin. It's ridiculous just how thin it is. Both phones are built really well and have a hefty, solid feel to them. Too bad they are on Verizon and LOADED with tons of bloat. Only downside I see with the phone, and this is just my opinion, is the fingerprint sensor. To have the sensor on the front and not have it also act as a capacitive home button makes no sense and is very confusing. Obviously they couldn't have put it on the back due to the Moto Mods, but it's designed to work as if it were on the back. They should have taken hints from the HTC 10 and OP3 and also made it a capacitive home button. If this phone comes out unlocked, I may be tempted to try it, but I think the pricing is a little on the high side.
    sangs, Ry and Citizen Coyote like this.
    07-22-2016 03:05 PM
    Ooooooh I'll have to go check them out!
    07-22-2016 03:21 PM
    Ooooooh I'll have to go check them out!
    They have mods there as well to try out, but with the security devices attached, they don't sit flush with the phone. Kind of defeats the purpose of trying them out.
    07-22-2016 03:31 PM
    Yeah that sucks. But I understand why they need to.
    07-22-2016 07:02 PM
    I was just at Best Buy this afternoon and they had the Moto Z and Moto Z Force on display. The Moto Z is stupid thin. It's ridiculous just how thin it is. Both phones are built really well and have a hefty, solid feel to them. Too bad they are on Verizon and LOADED with tons of bloat. Only downside I see with the phone, and this is just my opinion, is the fingerprint sensor. To have the sensor on the front and not have it also act as a capacitive home button makes no sense and is very confusing. Obviously they couldn't have put it on the back due to the Moto Mods, but it's designed to work as if it were on the back. They should have taken hints from the HTC 10 and OP3 and also made it a capacitive home button. If this phone comes out unlocked, I may be tempted to try it, but I think the pricing is a little on the high side.
    I wouldn't call it tons of bloat. It has the Motorola software for the voice/gesture stuff, and what looked like maybe ten apps from Verizon. I'll probably disable 2/3 of them, but it doesn't take up a lot of room. Still lightweight compared to anything from Samsung, and many others. I'm not sure too many have less aside from Nexus devices.
    benjamminh likes this.
    07-23-2016 12:10 PM
    I wouldn't call it tons of bloat. It has the Motorola software for the voice/gesture stuff, and what looked like maybe ten apps from Verizon. I'll probably disable 2/3 of them, but it doesn't take up a lot of room. Still lightweight compared to anything from Samsung, and many others. I'm not sure too many have less aside from Nexus devices.
    I was talking about the Verizon bloat. I have a T-Mobile S7 edge and there isn't nearly as much bloat as what Verizon or AT&T have on their devices.

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-23-2016 12:55 PM
    The bloat saw gets old now that it can either be disabled, if not uninstalled and generally takes up little space. But it can be annoying to take five minutes to take care of it.
    fr4nk1yn and Revolutionary like this.
    07-23-2016 01:06 PM
    Is the bloat still that surprising that it has to be mentioned all the time? That's just the way it is.
    benjamminh, fr4nk1yn, Ry and 1 others like this.
    07-23-2016 07:18 PM
    No bueno in my local best buy
    07-23-2016 08:02 PM
    The bloat saw gets old now that it can either be disabled, if not uninstalled and generally takes up little space. But it can be annoying to take five minutes to take care of it.
    I understand, and I too would rather it wasn't there, but when you have people saying they refuse to buy a phone because of something that'll take 5 minutes to fix... just seems a bit silly to me.
    07-23-2016 11:45 PM
    I believe I agree with you or to be more chronologically accurate, you with me. I added the last sentence to be conciliatory towards other views.
    07-24-2016 06:11 AM
    Is the bloat still that surprising that it has to be mentioned all the time? That's just the way it is.
    Yeah, bloat whining doesn't happen outside tech forums/blogs. The overwhelmingly large majority of people buying phones could give a ****.
    benjamminh likes this.
    07-24-2016 06:52 AM
    Did anyone get the Best Buy $1 deal on the Z and did it raise your access fee to $40 for getting back in contract? Was considering this but not if my access fee goes up $20/month for the life of a two year contract.
    08-03-2016 11:13 PM
    Did anyone get the Best Buy $1 deal on the Z and did it raise your access fee to $40 for getting back in contract? Was considering this but not if my access fee goes up $20/month for the life of a two year contract.
    Yes, if you're currently on a non-contract plan with $20/mo line access, and you get the phone under a 2yr contract deal, it will raise your line access fee to $40.
    08-03-2016 11:16 PM
    Yes, if you're currently on a non-contract plan with $20/mo line access, and you get the phone under a 2yr contract deal, it will raise your line access fee to $40.
    Thanks, maybe worth it to some but not to me. I guess buying outright for a gently used device is the better way to go.
    08-03-2016 11:23 PM
    You can also do a device payment plan with $200 off the total cost about the phone, but I think it works out to about the same as the extra $20 a month for a 2 year contract.
    08-04-2016 10:26 AM
    You can also do a device payment plan with $200 off the total cost about the phone, but I think it works out to about the same as the extra $20 a month for a 2 year contract.
    Especially since BestBuy lists the Force at $800. So that would be $600 spread over 2 years, vs $100 + $20 extra per month ($580). In my case, we have a discount through my wife's work that applies to the line access, so it's less than that.
    08-04-2016 11:20 AM
    Just gripes the $hit outta me that they basically say you want to get one of our shiny new phones you will pay us $20 more each month for that privilege. No incentive to stay in contract IMO. Used to be no increase, subsidized device, and a 2 year renewal. The subsidized phone was your reward/incentive for resigning for another 2 year hitch. Now it's mess with the stupid payments, increase your monthly bill with the BS access charge. It's personal with me. I'd rather pay upfront for the phone I choose and stay out of contract anyway. It's a done deal. I'm going to be a free agent. At least they don't have their hooks in me. F' em.
    08-04-2016 12:01 PM
    The $800 is for a Force that is not activated. If you do a monthly device plan it's $21.83 x24 months= about $523. I agree they should let people know they'll lose their per line discount if they get a subsidized contract price.
    08-04-2016 03:02 PM
    Just gripes the $hit outta me that they basically say you want to get one of our shiny new phones you will pay us $20 more each month for that privilege. No incentive to stay in contract IMO. Used to be no increase, subsidized device, and a 2 year renewal. The subsidized phone was your reward/incentive for resigning for another 2 year hitch. Now it's mess with the stupid payments, increase your monthly bill with the BS access charge. It's personal with me. I'd rather pay upfront for the phone I choose and stay out of contract anyway. It's a done deal. I'm going to be a free agent. At least they don't have their hooks in me. F' em.
    I went through the same anger when I found out. I went from thinking I'd paid ~$140 for the Zf (they did mention a $40 activation charge) to finding out I was going to end up paying a total of around ~$550 after 2 years of higher bills. After some time, I decided to keep the phone, as $550 isn't a terrible price for how nice the phone (plus free speaker) is, but my enthusiasm certainly took a hit. I came very close to returning mine too.
    08-04-2016 03:50 PM
    So you want the phone for free, just for having service with Verizon?

We talking More Everything plan here?

IIRC, if you brought you own phone, you're getting a $20 discount (off of $40) for the smartphone line access charge. Get a new phone through the plan and the "discount" ends, but $20 x 24 (+ initial payment) would equal roughly to about the "full retail" price of the phone. After 24 months, the $20 discount kicks back in.

Am I missing something here?

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    08-04-2016 08:55 PM
    So you want the phone for free, just for having service with Verizon?

We talking More Everything plan here?

IIRC, if you brought you own phone, you're getting a $20 discount (off of $40) for the smartphone line access charge. Get a new phone through the plan and the "discount" ends, but $20 x 24 (+ initial payment) would equal roughly to about the "full retail" price of the phone. After 24 months, the $20 discount kicks back in.

Am I missing something here?

Don't know if your missing something or not, maybe I am.
    I don't expect a phone for free just for having service, that'd be crazy and not at all profitable for Verizon.

I'm talking the "M" or medium plan. 3GB data , UL talk and text.

I have had the $20 access monthly fee for awhile now and don't care to double it.

Example: Verizon lists the Z droid for $624 retail or $26 per month for 24 months of payments which equals the $624 after 2 years.

Now the access fee goes up by $20 for those 2 years or does it not? That's another $480 for the joy of being in contract, or do they waive the access charge increase if your buying on payments? Good question because Best Buy has it for a buck. In that case they would raise it.

So maybe clue me in if you know, does buying the Z on payments cause an increase in the access fee? and, does it put you in contract for another 2 years? Maybe different with different plans, I dunno just how the "M" plan fits in here. In any case back to my initial head scratcher, what's the incentive to be in contract? I'm not really seeing anything jump out at me. Some devices give you a gift card, some don't. Existing customers get bill credits of maybe $300? Still $180 short of enough to cover the access fee increase. So I'm thinking I'll be staying off contract., Much preferable to buy outright and make your best deal or wait a bit for the better deal and not have to deal with Verizon's BS.
    Right above where you say "Am I missing something here" you state the access fee does last for two years which is what I also thought. That's $480!!! Yikes !! super rip off and can't possibly be right.
    I do miss the days of the subsidized phones tho. $600 phones for maybe $300 if you resign for 2 years. Now that's a solid take it or leave it.
    08-04-2016 10:50 PM
    Don't know if your missing something or not, maybe I am.
    I don't expect a phone for free just for having service, that'd be crazy and not at all profitable for Verizon.

I'm talking the "M" or medium plan. 3GB data , UL talk and text.

I have had the $20 access monthly fee for awhile now and don't care to double it.

Example: Verizon lists the Z droid for $624 retail or $26 per month for 24 months of payments which equals the $624 after 2 years.

Now the access fee goes up by $20 for those 2 years or does it not? That's another $480 for the joy of being in contract, or do they waive the access charge increase if your buying on payments? Good question because Best Buy has it for a buck. In that case they would raise it.

So maybe clue me in if you know, does buying the Z on payments cause an increase in the access fee? and, does it put you in contract for another 2 years? Maybe different with different plans, I dunno just how the "M" plan fits in here. In any case back to my initial head scratcher, what's the incentive to be in contract? I'm not really seeing anything jump out at me. Some devices give you a gift card, some don't. Existing customers get bill credits of maybe $300? Still $180 short of enough to cover the access fee increase. So I'm thinking I'll be staying off contract., Much preferable to buy outright and make your best deal or wait a bit for the better deal and not have to deal with Verizon's BS.
    Right above where you say "Am I missing something here" you state the access fee does last for two years which is what I also thought. That's $480!!! Yikes !! super rip off and can't possibly be right.
    I do miss the days of the subsidized phones tho. $600 phones for maybe $300 if you resign for 2 years. Now that's a solid take it or leave it.
    What plan are you on? Verizon Plan? More Everything?

08-04-2016 10:50 PM
    What plan are you on? Verizon Plan? More Everything?

It's called the "M" plan for medium. I believe it's the Verizon medium plan. One number, one phone, one person on the account. $45+$20 access fee for a total of $65. No tax in Oregon.
    08-04-2016 10:55 PM
    It's called the "M" plan for medium. I believe it's the Verizon medium plan. One number, one phone, one person on the account. $45+$20 access fee for a total of $65. No tax in Oregon.
    Could you login to your Verizon account and confirm whether More Everything Plan or Verizon Plan?

08-04-2016 11:26 PM
43 12