Any reason to upgrade from Droid Turbo?

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I am still running with the original Droid Turbo. I have not found a compelling phone upgrade to this date. The only thing I seem to be missing is a fingerprint scanner. Is there anything else I am missing? The 3900mAh battery with wireless charging and NFC seem to still be class-leading. I understand the OS is dated and the processor is older, but is the Z that much faster?

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Core specs are of course better, so speed & smoothness is improved. Mods, and as you mentioned, fingerprint scanner, faster quick charging and the USB-C port. Off the top of my head, I'm not thinking of anything else. It's of course up to you whether those differences are worth an upgrade. I'd say if you're used to the Turbo's big batter, you'd probably want the Z Force, or at least plan on getting the battery mod.

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Core specs are of course better, so speed & smoothness is improved. Mods, and as you mentioned, fingerprint scanner, faster quick charging and the USB-C port. Off the top of my head, I'm not thinking of anything else. It's of course up to you whether those differences are worth an upgrade. I'd say if you're used to the Turbo's big batter, you'd probably want the Z Force, or at least plan on getting the battery mod.

Thank you. I think if I can use the Incipio off grid pack with Wireless charging at all times, I may be ok. I rely on wireless charging. I only need to be sure that I can use NFC while the mod it attached so I can use Android Pay.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. I think if I can use the Incipio off grid pack with Wireless charging at all times, I may be ok. I rely on wireless charging. I only need to be sure that I can use NFC while the mod it attached so I can use Android Pay.

I believe so - the manual indicates that the NFC points are at each top corner of the phone. Looks like they designed it at the corners instead of the center of the back so that mods wouldn't interfere. I haven't had any chance to test that though.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
The Turbo is still a beast of a phone. I only upgraded mine because I cracked the screen 3 days before the Z launched (was it fate???). I definitely prefer the size and form factor of the Turbo to the Z Force. It fit so well in a pocket, even in a case.

But everything about the Z is faster - from launching apps to using gestures to turn on the camera or the flashlight, to unlocking the phone (especially with fingerprint), to browsing -- everything is noticeably quicker. Also the cameras are a whole lot better, and they focus a whole lot faster (important for me as I have young kids who don't stop moving). I also carry an iPhone 6S for work, and I'd defaulted to using that for quick shooting needs as the Turbo just took too long to load and focus, even using the quick launch gesture. Not anymore!

I find the battery to be a bit longer lasting on the Z, but it's not world-changing coming from the Turbo. The ability to go from 35% to 100% in 20 minutes is pretty darn great, though.

If you are still happy with the Turbo, I don't think the Z is a must-have. Unless you are really itching to upgrade, I think you could easily wait another annual cycle to see what Moto comes out with next summer.

Or hold out to see if anyone makes a Qi charging mod without battery. There's a lot of talk about something like that, so I could see it happening sooner or later.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded from the original Turbo to the z force. Battery life on my turbo had begun to degrade. I went from 2-3 days to the last couple months down to barely 6 hours. I ended up having to carry a battery at work and chargers everywhere. So when they announced the Z Force and the battery mods I got interested. Here's what I can get with the battery mod.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded from the original Turbo to the z force. Battery life on my turbo had begun to degrade. I went from 2-3 days to the last couple months down to barely 6 hours. I ended up having to carry a battery at work and chargers everywhere. So when they announced the Z Force and the battery mods I got interested. Here's what I can get with the battery mod.
1470437510351.jpg

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Or hold out to see if anyone makes a Qi charging mod without battery. There's a lot of talk about something like that, so I could see it happening sooner or later.

If a Qi charging mod was available I would buy the phone today. I think that is what i would miss the most from my Turbo.

PWav

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Have the original Droid Turbo also. It's now about 21 or 22 months old, and the battery has noticeably less capacity. When it was new, I could easily get 2 days - usually 3 days - before having to re-charge. Now, I can barely get one day and that's with only moderate usage.

Because it only takes a few minutes to add lots of charge back into the battery - I even have a QC 2.0 portable battery - I don't feel an emergency to replace it.

But, I'll be getting a Moto Z or Z Force or Samsung Galaxy Note 7 as soon as I can get my hands on all 3 at once somewhere.

Checked the VZW site for my Droid Turbo's trade-in value. It's only about $65 or so, even though it's in perfect condition. WTF??

wckesq

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Just came from Best Buy. Looked at both Z phones and the Note 7. All big phones. I am keeping my Turbo 2 for now. Nexus sailfish has my eye for the future.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Have the original Droid Turbo also. It's now about 21 or 22 months old, and the battery has noticeably less capacity. When it was new, I could easily get 2 days - usually 3 days - before having to re-charge. Now, I can barely get one day and that's with only moderate usage.

Because it only takes a few minutes to add lots of charge back into the battery - I even have a QC 2.0 portable battery - I don't feel an emergency to replace it.

But, I'll be getting a Moto Z or Z Force or Samsung Galaxy Note 7 as soon as I can get my hands on all 3 at once somewhere.

Checked the VZW site for my Droid Turbo's trade-in value. It's only about $65 or so, even though it's in perfect condition. WTF??

It's a 2 year old phone. Is that so surprising? You can probably get more for it on Ebay or Amazon.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

Trade-in value on my Droid Maxx was $1. lol Verizon's trade-in values aren't very good, unless they're having a special promotion.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance