Will this Z release be successful?

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I've always like motorola phones ever since my first one back in 98 or 99, somewhere around there. It was a dumb phone but I liked it.
So went to Best Buy today and saw the Z for the first time, played with it a bit and got a pretty good feel for it. Holy sweet geezus, is that sucker thin. It's to thin and feels naked or something. The backside is terribly ugly and nothing to brag about for sure. OK, the mods cover that up, cool. They had the speaker mod, but ye gods, it makes it look not much better in the opposite direction, now it looks pregnant. Not a good look. So anyway, it's Saturday, the Best Buy is decently busy and everyone is looking at the new Samsung stuff, took me awhile to get some hands on with the new Note 7. No one, and I mean no one stayed around the very prominent Moto display. Several walked by picking it up, giving it a once over for about ten seconds shaking their heads then walked away. I'm really getting a sense that this phone will be more of a base hit at best and no home run here. I'm starting to wonder if the whole mod thing is going to be a selling point. I mean the first mod needs to be the battery pac. Of course then it's not that thin any more either.
This forum can be a good indicator of popularity. The average Joe doesn't come in here, but phone aficionados like ourselves are the main stream here. This new Z forum is practically dead. Very little going on for a newly released device. The Samsung 7's have been out for months and that forum is crowded still with new stuff and people talking about their phones and others wanting one or about to get one, but barely anything happening in here. I know you can't compare sammy and moto for popularity, no comparison. How about the HTC 10 forum. More going on over there as well. I'm thinking Moto/Lenovo made a miscalculation here and this is not going to be the money shot for them, not even close. Honestly after seeing the Z, I no longer even kinda want one. I think it's going to be a flop. What do you all think? AND, before the fan boys come out and give me all kinds of crap remember I'm a fanboy also and frankly disappointed in this release.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: Forum's dead how about a new thread? Will this Z release be successful?

I believe that another reason why the Z forum will be less busy is because at this point in time it's a device for a single carrier in a single country. If you don't live in the US and/or you don't have Verizon, then this device isn't for you.

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site

It's still early.... On the one hand, I don't care how popular the Z is (and I've owned the T2, Turbo, Maxx). However, if the phone doesn't sell well, that is going to really hurt the development of mods.

I really like this phone too but there are other worthy competitors such as the Note 7 (not to mention the iPhone). Doesn't help that this is a VZW exclusive. Hopefully, a mod comes out that helps this phone take off.

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

Dead is not necessarily bad. Normally most posts are people having problems. Not many problems with the Moto Z's

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site

Verizon being the largest carrier in the U.S. is a pretty good sample indicator of what the market will bear. I'm not convinced the market is ready for mods tho. I think the Z will end up being a niche device. The fact people aren't in the forum complaining about the phone is good, but the downside is not many are chatting it up either. So many phones for the average users out there to choose from, the Z might not be their device of choice. I'm not interested in the mods but the first thing I thought of was having to carry them around with me. And with the possibility of even more coming out later this just increases. By the time Verizon's exclusive is over the Z will be approaching old news status. Between Samsung and Apple the competition is fierce. An awful lot of folks will opt for a new iPhone 7 over the Z which should probably be out by the time Verizon releases it's exclusive hold on the Z. Price isn't as much a factor anymore with the payment plans. Start adding up the price of mods, geeeez, wonder if those can go on a payment plan.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

Verizon being the largest carrier in the U.S. is a pretty good sample indicator of what the market will bear. I'm not convinced the market is ready for mods tho. I think the Z will end up being a niche device. The fact people aren't in the forum complaining about the phone is good, but the downside is not many are chatting it up either. So many phones for the average users out there to choose from, the Z might not be their device of choice. I'm not interested in the mods but the first thing I thought of was having to carry them around with me. And with the possibility of even more coming out later this just increases. By the time Verizon's exclusive is over the Z will be approaching old news status. Between Samsung and Apple the competition is fierce. An awful lot of folks will opt for a new iPhone 7 over the Z which should probably be out by the time Verizon releases it's exclusive hold on the Z. Price isn't as much a factor anymore with the payment plans. Start adding up the price of mods, geeeez, wonder if those can go on a payment plan.

At least most of the Moto Z mods are actually available.

The mod I would be interested for the LG G5 is the B&O audio mod, which isn't even available in the US.

Bankz111

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site

It will at least sell better than the Moto X, that's for certain and that's all lenovo needs for a start. Even the Former Motorolas that gathered enough attraction for forums, how did it turn out, it sold abysmally, infact it was so bad that google had to sell them off to a chinese brand.

And Where you expecting the same level of interest in comparision to the Note series? Or u just probably don't want the Z to sell? Because Your story looks either fabricated or grossly exaggerated to be honest, to me at least.

Anyway, the true reason its happening this way is because of their **** launch system and the useless verizon exclusive in just one country.

Then again the phone was announced way back on june 9th and we're still not sure if any non verizon users will get their hands on the phone by september 9th even (3 months on) and you expect it to be like other forums?.

Even the htc you speak of, well, they have a stronger die hard fan base the Moto already so isn't that to be expected? And we saw how those turned out in sales for them..

While lenovo are a virtually unknown brand (in the mobile space) trying to help an ailing company (motorola), so what did you expect. If samsung had made the Moto Z and vice vasa, people would be all over the Moto Z by now, calling it the best and most innovative phone in the history of the mobile industry and so on and calling the note 7 boring. That's life for you, its all about perception.

Btw, you really think the Note7 is a home run? Lol, that phone is probably the most unexciting note release in its entire history. Its so underwhelming that I don't see any galaxy note 5, S7E, S6E+ owners getting worried of not getting one at this point.

And lol, I've been in the Note7 forum mostly and its basically 80% of people saying they're not interested/buying and others whinning while its basically the samsung strong die hards preching the S-pen gospel. You can even tell by the sudden dryness in the media about the note7. Its now basically old articles you see all over the web.

The only thing the note has going for it is its samsung fan base, otherwise, I don't see how its actually better than the Z and lol, you're not a Moto fanboy stop lying here.

You're more of a samsung die hard coming to big up the underwhelming note7 using the situation of the forum (at the same time forgetting the reason for it), God, its so obvious.. Thanks anyway

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

Sounds like this isn't the phone for you. The mods are too expensive for you and I understand. I'm glad somebody came out with something different. To each his own.

Even4steven

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

I was also surprised about the lack of buzz in this forum. I have also seen no advertising or marketing push for this phone, which it will need to drive sales. Like others have said, I also see no one complaining, which is a great sign. I love this phone for it's unique design and capabilities, as well as the superior performance and user experience. When I have shown my new phone to people with the battery and speaker mods, people are very impressed, very impressed.

That being said it, it is increasingly difficult to compete against Samsung & Apple these days.

Bankz111

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site

I don't really see how any one can argue against this sort of device or claim that this device didn't knock it outta the park

Think of a single Machine/Engine/ on steroids that can power any appliance/gadget at the same time being small and mobile. For instance, let's imagine that such device could power phones, glucose meters, projectors, speakers, cameras, credit card readers, desktops, keyboards, batteries, sensors, E-ink screens, medical health kits etc..
A machine/engine that isn't limited by space, convenience, and mobility that can turn into anything any minute. Sort of like those master keys that could open any door. Wouldn't you desire such a machine/device?

Think about it for a minute tbh.

Well, that machine/engine/device is the "Moto Z".

This, in actual reality is the way to define the Moto Z, IMO.

Yes, other phones might be a little bit faster, a little bit more symmetrical, have a little bit better camera, and a little bit more beautiful (even if I think none is, bar the note7), but non is this machine/engine, non is this powerful, non is as innovative, non has such potential, non is as exciting, and non can be the phenomenon that is the "Moto Z".

Can any mobile phone beat that right now? Sometimes, I only wonder what could have been if apple or samsung made that. Mods would probably have being the new black then and the other phone manufacturers would have gone into a proper melt down by now. But, of course its Motorola so...

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site

As pointed out already these forums are mostly people who have issues with their device. There is only so much talking one can do to say how they like their device. That's why most threads across these forums are complaints and issues.

Add to that the fact that it was only released on Verizon is another for sure. And just to add the S7 edge forum and HTC 10 forum you talked about her stale as well. That's why the Mods as new threads to try and keep people engaged.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

The fact it's a Verizon exclusive right now is a huge factor I think. Verizon may be the biggest carrier, but AT&T is no small potatoes and those of us on AT&T (and T-Mobile) have to wait, unlike when the MXPE was released when everyone got the chance to get one at the same time. But I do agree that it's very tough to compete with Sammy and Apple, the two biggest players with the general public. We Moto nerds are likely more interested in what Nexus has to offer than whatever Samsung, etc., puts out each year, so comparing the Moto Z forums to the others isn't really a fair comparison.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site

As I figured most people here are getting the wrong impression, no problem. I am fan of the tech and Motorola is at the top of my device favorites.
The reason to get some dialog going was maybe get some good discussion on the "new" Moto. Since Lenovo has taken over and I'm interested in seeing where they are going and with this whole mod thing. I have always been a fan of Motorola and don't know quite what to make about Lenovo as yet. I'm concerned the Z won't do well especially after looking at one. If the Z fails Lenovo could pull back from the phone end of things and spend their resources somewhere else.

I believe that another reason why the Z forum will be less busy is because at this point in time it's a device for a single carrier in a single country. If you don't live in the US and/or you don't have Verizon, then this device isn't for you.
Absolutely agree. but I can almost hear the crickets chirping in here. It's not dead but IS dang slow for a new device release. However not being released to all carriers at the same time is truly hampering it to an extent. Verizon being the biggest carrier tho is a pretty good indicator of future interest I believe.

However, if the phone doesn't sell well, that is going to really hurt the development of mods.
This is a big concern of mine as well. This phone is built for mods. There are probably a lot of good dev out there that could come up with some really innovative mods but demand drives incentive. We'll have to wait and see.

It will at least sell better than the Moto X, that's for certain and that's all lenovo needs for a start. Even the Former Motorolas that gathered enough attraction for forums, how did it turn out, it sold abysmally, infact it was so bad that google had to sell them off to a chinese brand.

And Where you expecting the same level of interest in comparision to the Note series? Or u just probably don't want the Z to sell? Because Your story looks either fabricated or grossly exaggerated to be honest, to me at least.

Anyway, the true reason its happening this way is because of their **** launch system and the useless verizon exclusive in just one country.

Then again the phone was announced way back on june 9th and we're still not sure if any non verizon users will get their hands on the phone by september 9th even (3 months on) and you expect it to be like other forums?.

Even the htc you speak of, well, they have a stronger die hard fan base the Moto already so isn't that to be expected? And we saw how those turned out in sales for them..

While lenovo are a virtually unknown brand (in the mobile space) trying to help an ailing company (motorola), so what did you expect. If samsung had made the Moto Z and vice vasa, people would be all over the Moto Z by now, calling it the best and most innovative phone in the history of the mobile industry and so on and calling the note 7 boring. That's life for you, its all about perception.

Btw, you really think the Note7 is a home run? Lol, that phone is probably the most unexciting note release in its entire history. Its so underwhelming that I don't see any galaxy note 5, S7E, S6E+ owners getting worried of not getting one at this point.

And lol, I've been in the Note7 forum mostly and its basically 80% of people saying they're not interested/buying and others whinning while its basically the samsung strong die hards preching the S-pen gospel. You can even tell by the sudden dryness in the media about the note7. Its now basically old articles you see all over the web.

The only thing the note has going for it is its samsung fan base, otherwise, I don't see how its actually better than the Z and lol, you're not a Moto fanboy stop lying here.

You're more of a samsung die hard coming to big up the underwhelming note7 using the situation of the forum (at the same time forgetting the reason for it), God, its so obvious.. Thanks anyway
Never said the Note was better than the Z, Never been a Note guy or a Samsung guy either. A Samsung diehard??? What an insult.
I love my X and hope they continue to make that line. A lot of us X fans out there. I didn't realize it sold so poorly. I thought it did better than that, particularly since it came unlocked. I'm keeping mine till the wheels fall off.

Not sure you understand my distain for Samsung as you think I'm some sort of fanboy of their stuff. I've had one Sammy device the S6 and I'll never have another, sound like a fanboy? They suck. Do they make good tech? Sure, but they still suck for reasons I won't bore everyone with. Samsung has excellent marketing and people generally fall for that. I never said the Note 7 would hit a home run. It's way to much of a rehashed 7 edge anyway. I just wanted to see it while in Best Buy, but I'd never get one or even want one. The real reason I made the trip was to see the Z. As I observed the store customers I saw the crowds around the Samsung stuff and no one around the very nice Moto display. At least I had it all to myself Lol.

I'm not a Samsung die hard coming in here to talk up anything Sammy, Note or otherwise. You need to re read my first post and stop offending people by calling them Samsung fanboys. LOL.

Sounds like this isn't the phone for you. The mods are too expensive for you and I understand. I'm glad somebody came out with something different. To each his own.
Actually if I needed a phone right now the Z is the one I would get. The only mod that interests me ATM tho is the battery pac mod. I would def need that. Thankfully my MXPE is still doing fine.

Last edited:

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site

As pointed out already these forums are mostly people who have issues with their device. There is only so much talking one can do to say how they like their device. That's why most threads across these forums are complaints and issues.

Add to that the fact that it was only released on Verizon is another for sure. And just to add the S7 edge forum and HTC 10 forum you talked about her stale as well. That's why the Mods as new threads to try and keep people engaged.

They are starting to get stale but this after months since release. This forum went pretty stale after a week. I was kind of disappointed because I was interested in the Z as a replacement for my MXPE. The fact it came with a battery mod was sounding good since My X's battery is a problem sometimes. So I'd come in here and not hear anything new. It's why I started this thread to get some opinions from other fans about the viability of leno/moto's Z.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site

Yes but you have to remember the Z is only available on one carrier in one country. The Samsung device is available around the nation.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site

Yes but you have to remember the Z is only available on one carrier in one country. The Samsung device is available around the nation.
Point taken and not one I have overlooked. Does anyone know how Moto as a brand fares overseas? My concern here in the states is by the time Verizon releases it's choke hold exclusive on the Z it will be starting to become old news. Stuff changes so fast. Overseas it could be different as they seem to be on different release schedules for most things anyway. So wondering how it would do over there, if Moto is a popular brand there at all.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site

That is a valid point. I agree. The exclusive sucks. If you want to have the best possible outcome you really need to release a device on all carriers. It's my hope once it is released to everyone it will gain more traction.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site

That is a valid point. I agree. The exclusive sucks. If you want to have the best possible outcome you really need to release a device on all carriers. It's my hope once it is released to everyone it will gain more traction.
And I think it will pick up some, just going to be hard being, what? Two months old? Not sure when the exclusive ends, sometime in September. Then won't AT+T look at Verizon sales and maybe think twice about offering it if it hasn't sold on the biggest carrier?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I predict that Motorola will sell more 2016 Moto Zs than they did 2015 Moto Xs.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

To be fair you would really need to include the turbo 2 and droid Maxx with the X sales. Even then, I think the Z should exceed that.