Switched from Note 7

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
So I picked up a Note 7 on launch and was just completely underwhelmed. It wasn't quick, it bogged down on me several times and the bloat and features pulled by Verizon were annoying but not a deal breaker. I never pulled the S-Pen out once and the edge system made selecting anything on the edges or near very difficult. Switched the Z and I've not been more in love with a phone in a very long time. It's just so much snappier which lends me to feel that it's tuned more efficiently for the hardware than Samsung and TW. The Note is a great phone but I l just love stock so much more and the phone just runs so much more fluid. Battery has been great and having the Incipio battery mod is a great piece of mind when out and about during holiday or a weekend trip.

Posted via the Android Central App

wirelessgal

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I'm returning my Note 7 for different reasons and getting the Moto Z when my carrier launches it.
I have been buying Samsung phones since the Nexus S days. Loved that phone and the Galaxy Nexus. Then I got my first Touchwiz phone, the S2 i9100 and from there I had all the S series phones. On my second line I had the Note 2, 4, 5 (still have it) and 7. I'm returning the Note 7 because it's too heavy as a daily driver for me. My hand was hurting bad. I do have an injury from a car accident. Also when I compared day to day performance of my Note 5 to the 7, there wasn't a significant difference in speed or battery life to justify the purchase. The S Pen on the N7 is much better and I will miss the new features. But I'm happy with my Note 5.
I have been watching reviews of the Moto Z and everyone said the phone is fast and lag free. The phone is light weight which is exactly what I want. I've owned a number of Motorola Androids that goes back to the Froyo days. The last Motorola I had was the Moto X. I had a lot of issues with Motorola so I stopped buying their phones. So I truly hope the Moto Z works out for me.
I will admit I still love Samsung. Touchwiz has come along way. There is still some lag but no where as bad as it was a few years ago.
Anyways sorry for the long post. I can't wait until the Moto Z comes out. Seems like I have been waiting forever. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
I saw the note 7 in store a week ago. It is a beautiful device. but I did not like holding at all. I don't see myself getting use having my fingers over the screen edge.I had the same feeling with the s7 edge that the design looked great on display but wasn't practical for me

wirelessgal

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
No doubt the Note 7 is a beautiful phone and very well built too. If it was a flat panel design like the Note 5, it would've been much better to hold. I don't know what Samsung was thinking when they decided to mess with their Note series and made the Note 7 a curved screen. I have the S7 Edge and I went back to using that as my daily driver. I have 2 lines. The size and weight of the S7E is better for me. I am used to the edge panels now. But I still prefer a flat panel.
I love Samsung. I love Motorola. I'm loyal to both. However I am a longer Motorola fan. It goes way back to the Motorola flip phone days. :) I truly hope the Moto Z sells well Worldwide.

Does you have the Moto Z?

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
My brother in law has had Samsung phones for about the last 5 years. He's always liked them. He was planning to get the note 7 next couple days.
I just showed him my Z Force. He now decided to get this instead of the 7. He was amazed by the battery life. He was never a fan of the s pen. He has the note 5 now.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
My brother in law has had Samsung phones for about the last 5 years. He's always liked them. He was planning to get the note 7 next couple days.
I just showed him my Z Force. He now decided to get this instead of the 7. He was amazed by the battery life. He was never a fan of the s pen. He has the note 5 now.

I'm struggling to swap my Z for the Force. I get pretty great battery life but the extra battery in the Force is very tempting. And the bit better camera has me excited. But I really like the camera on the Z so that's not to tempting.

wirelessgal

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site

I'm keeping my Note 5 because I do use the S Pen a lot. IMO, if anyone has the Note 5, it's not worth upgrading to the Note 7 unless you use the S Pen a lot, want the SD card expansion, and water resistant. The Note 7 is an excellent phone, but I still notice the lag. And I'm still using my S7 Edge, however my S7E is the Exynos version and I noticed less lag on my S7E over the N7 Snapdragon version.
I'm impatiently waiting for the Moto Z to be released in Canada. I can't wait to get it!

mgorlets

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
I'm struggling to swap my Z for the Force. I get pretty great battery life but the extra battery in the Force is very tempting. And the bit better camera has me excited. But I really like the camera on the Z so that's not to tempting.

Go for it. At best buy I walked out with the force and speaker for $524. Great phone and I use the Incipio battery mod on it every day and I love the battery life. It's thick and heavy but it has tons of battery and the camera is better then the one on the z. Just pick up the Verizon glass screen protector. The ZAGG has some spots it does not cover that will leave the shatter shield exposed to get scratched.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Unless you really like the form factor of the Z or dislike it on the Force, I would go for it. Bigger battery, Shattershield is much better this year. Just be sure to put a glass screen protector on it to give the feel of glass and is easier to replace than the Shattershield. I would want the better camera also.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Go for it. At best buy I walked out with the force and speaker for $524. Great phone and I use the Incipio battery mod on it every day and I love the battery life. It's thick and heavy but it has tons of battery and the camera is better then the one on the z. Just pick up the Verizon glass screen protector. The ZAGG has some spots it does not cover that will leave the shatter shield exposed to get scratched.

I agree with all of this. Even without the battery mod, the Z Force has fantastic battery life.

mru007

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
From some research / video reviews on the Internet, I can see that this 'lag' problem is present only on the devices coming from mobile carriers like T-mobile, Verizon, etc. Please disable all the unwanted apps these carriers enforce (pre-install) on the phone. This tends to bog down the phone slowly. Also, I found out (from reviews) that the Exynos version of Note 7 is performing extremely well all the time. But Snapdragon 820 is a new processor (faster, optimized), so the main culprit here are the default apps (from mobile carriers) present on the phone.
To all those experiencing performance issues, please perform a 'Wipe Cache Partition' from the Recovery menu; see if it helps to get rid of the issues. If still issue persists, perform a Factory Reset from Recovery menu (and then disable those nasty apps that come from mobile carriers).

P.S.: Galaxy Note 7 is a seriously fast (snappier), beautiful & an amazing phone :)

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Aww, that's really cute getting those folks coming to our little forum. To each their own. I'm glad in the Android world there's an alternative that I like.

jordans0nly

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Sent the Note 7 packing today. Getting the Z instead. Thought the Z Force was too thick for me. Camera will be fine as well, since I don't take many pix. Just couldn't justify the Note 7 price. Plus got an additional 13% off the phone too.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Aww, that's really cute getting those folks coming to our little forum. To each their own. I'm glad in the Android world there's an alternative that I like.

Be nice. They're allowed to like their ubiquitous, overpriced, brittle-glassed phone that can be found in the hands of every teenager and millennial that's not carrying an iPhone. (We kid, we kid! :D ) Seriously, I tried the Note 7 and it didn't come close to performing as well as the Z Force Droid. Same processor, same memory, much different experience. (Btw, to the CourageToChange poster, the Z Force currently has 4.7 out of 5 and the Z has 4.8 out of 5 on Best Buy.)

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
More power to you, but I couldn't make that switch from the Note 7 to the Moto Z.. I'm all in favor of people getting the phone that works for them, but with that said, the Moto Zwould not work for me. I find it to be too ugly, especially when paired with the mods that it's designed to use. The camera is sub-par, and the lack of a headphone jack is a deal-breaker. It also gets lower ratings from buyers on Best Buy and Amazon, compared to the nearly perfect score of 4.8 out of 5 on both of those sites for the Note 7.

The camera is far from subpar. Have you even tried both?

mgorlets

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
More power to you, but I couldn't make that switch from the Note 7 to the Moto Z.. I'm all in favor of people getting the phone that works for them, but with that said, the Moto Zwould not work for me. I find it to be too ugly, especially when paired with the mods that it's designed to use. The camera is sub-par, and the lack of a headphone jack is a deal-breaker. It also gets lower ratings from buyers on Best Buy and Amazon, compared to the nearly perfect score of 4.8 out of 5 on both of those sites for the Note 7.

Let's talk about subpart.

Note 7 headphone jack amp is sub par

Note 7 glass is sub par. Gg5 is trash this is a fact.

Note 7 performance is sub par. Go ahead XDA did a nice read on how laggy it is. On par with $300 phones now that's sub par

First and third party screen protectors are sub par on the N7. Wtb a screen protector that won't peal after a day or one I can use a case with. Or a glass one that won't make the display looks distorted or cause lost of sensitivity on the touch screen.

N7's failed attempt at a always on display is sub par. 10% per day. Keep it on that's around an hour of sot gone.

Like I said. I had a N7 and it was over hyped. The N5 is a better phone the N7 is the huge let down that did not live upto the hype or can't even come close to the fanboy hype and the payed review sites like Android Central. And XDA proved this. Countless other people proved this. Moto z is a better device bottom line. Let's talk benchmarks now let's see who's faster. Or wait the moto z is. And in AnTuTu it destroys every other phone out.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I hear the Note 7 is a heck of a phone if your battery doesn't explode and set your phone on fire, the edge screen doesn't crack or break, and the glass back doesn't scratch or break, and you get one that doesn't seriously lag. Other than that, they're awesome.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
So, uh, Moto is actually looking pretty good comparatively right now, not that it would cause many people to switch from Samsung.