Moto z camera lens scratch

sleshepic

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I just got mine from best buy, so it'd have to have sat around then, plus I was so far not at all tough on it. I'm super anal about always having screen protector and case so for first two days I barely used it and kept it in Maui Jim sunglasses case, I'll post pic, it's truly awful and embarassing. I could not believe it happened, and as said, my over year old Note has been abused and has zero.

johndru

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
So strange. I've had mine in my pocket a ton and not a scratch.
Wait for a few weeks ;) I had mine scratched (though super tiny and can only be seen under direct sunlight) after a month having it.

And YES, this is the ONLY phone I had that is prone to lens scratch. I've had tons of Htc and Moto phones in the past (moto X, X 2nd gen and X play) but never encountered this.

Either you're not anal yourself or you really don't know how to check micro scratches. Either of the two.

markabele

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Wait for a few weeks ;) I had mine scratched (though super tiny and can only be seen under direct sunlight) after a month having it.

And YES, this is the ONLY phone I had that is prone to lens scratch. I've had tons of Htc and Moto phones in the past (moto X, X 2nd gen and X play) but never encountered this.

Either you're not anal yourself or you really don't know how to check micro scratches. Either of the two.

Still nothing. Just checked in sunlight.
Even dropped it on the floor in the gym today from a pretty big distance and hit a bunch of metal on the way down.

I have a feeling the vast majority of you that have scratches got an early batch of phones before this particular problem was fixed.

johndru

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I bought mine just a few months ago so I'm definitely not an early adopter. However, I really do think that it IS Lenovo's fault and not Motorola's. Moto phones may now be using a different type of glass for their lens (as opposed to when they were owned by Google).

I also think these aren't scratches but only the oleophobic coating (hint: HTC One M8).
You may try to rub off the coating using a plain toothpaste and cotton buds. There are tons of HTC One M8-related youtube vids on how to remove them.

sleshepic

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, this won't be taking great pics. Had the phone less than month, got in cyber Monday special. I take good care of my phones, never even cracked a screen since my Evo. Now this:

Note 4 lens is fine after more than a year, if we could see it through the Moto's scratched lens :/
It takes OK photos, I'm sure will degrade very quickly, screen protectors on cam lens I'm sure will make blurry pics all the worse

Dec 5, 2016
Visit site
I bought a universal screen protector and roughly cut out a piece and attached it on the lens. Only had it on for a few days but no more scratches on the actual lens at least. Once it's been scratched I can simply cut a new piece and change it.

Jerome Jeremy Tay

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
I bought a universal screen protector and roughly cut out a piece and attached it on the lens. Only had it on for a few days but no more scratches on the actual lens at least. Once it's been scratched I can simply cut a new piece and change it.

I have a nillkin brand lens protector on (it comes together with screen protector and back protector) and boy my picture quality becomes very blur. I ordered a dbrand camera skin, so hopefully it will at least protector the surroundings.

mkcho123

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
My camera lens is getting worse every day Just look .
0379dc730991ba92647e1ff4f147b663.jpg

This photo was shot by 2 year old Moto Nexus 6
b27373239e21c038a8181bd72b62b0d8.jpg

And this was shot from 2 month old Moto z
4f6ac4a6eab13bb2b5661bbb4d295234.jpg

The lens is getting scratched up every day and photos are all blurry. By the way Nexus 6 doesn't exactly have the greatest camera but compared to blurry Moto z it is much better

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Now I'm starting to think Motorola intentionally made it very scratchable in order to sell the Hasselblad camera mod.
I'd be more inclined to think that it was either saving money on sapphire glass, or (more likely?) they couldn't get enough sapphire glass because other companies (Apple, Samsung) buy so much of it for their phones.

Shame on Motorola for not telling users that the camera outer lens is so scratchable, though.

Dec 5, 2016
Visit site
I have a nillkin brand lens protector on (it comes together with screen protector and back protector) and boy my picture quality becomes very blur. I ordered a dbrand camera skin, so hopefully it will at least protector the surroundings.

This is how I did it. I first put it over the flash as well but that turned out bad since the light from the lens travelled through the whole screen protector. Like this, the photos are as when the phone was new. You can't see the scratches on the screen from this angled though, took the photo standing in front of a mirror.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qjb3ykp0yccymfi/IMG_20170106_143456472.jpg?dl=0

Last edited:

markabele

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Clearly Motorola used two different materials at one time or another. It seems like people are getting one extreme or the other; either lots of scratches or no scratches.

Bora777

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
So my Dbrand camera lens skin arrived the other day, although by then I'd already applied a basic screen protector that I cut to size myself. I put the skin on anyway, which I now kinda regret ordering because it makes it very difficult to wipe the tiny lens hole of smudges properly, whereas having the whole thing covered by a simple protector made it very easy to clean. Also, without my self-cut layer, the camera itself would actually still be unprotected anyway.

In any case, this is what it looks like now, if anyone's thinking of ordering one. Notice how much dust has gathered around the edges. It also appears thicker than it is because of the other protector under it.
P1120834.jpg

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
MIne's been in an otterbox case since day two. no scratches, but I also keep mine in belt case so that might help.

I read on another forum about someone shattering the camera lens when it dropped, so sound like glass; maybe cheap glass.

Last edited:

markabele

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Really weird that people other get lots of scratches (and immediately after buying phone), or no scratches at all, ever. I said it before, but I will say it again. Clearly they used to different materials when they made these phones. Potentially two different factories? Or is it an age issue, where they simply changed the material they used? Interesting nonetheless.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Order a 3/4" paper hold cutter (Amazon and Hobby lobby carries them), get a regular screen protector (non-glass) and cut quite a few out of the sheet. Then cut off the bottom where the LEDs are and apply.

Killerprime

Feb 16, 2017
Visit site
The same, I thought I was alone in the world jaaj, moto z play, yes, At the first week since I got it, I noticed few "soft" scratches around the "glass" (i think is acrilyc) very very easly get scratched, I have a rugged case that cover the rounded camera cover, only the normal use to get into your pockets and out, that's it, until today I've been looking up on you tube of how to replace it and nothibg, I found on Aliexpress an unofficial replacement glass, but I hope that to replace we don't need to take off the back cover...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL