The ONE thing I miss from my 1st gen. Moto X. Why??

Syndil

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
Hi all, I'll keep it brief. I've had a 1st gen Moto X on Republic Wireless since... well since the first day we were able to get a Moto X from Republic Wireless, whenever that was. Loved, loved that phone. Had a bamboo back on it, and the Moto Voice feature... It was something I thought was kind of gimmicky at first, but now I cannot, will not live without it.

Anyway that phone is ancient by technology standards, but I just replaced it a couple of weeks ago with a Moto Z. So far, I'm not that impressed. I have some minor gripes I'm sure I'll get used to/get over, but there is one thing I cannot get past. On my Moto X, I could ask it "What's up?" and it would read my notifications to me. Very handy, if, say, I'm in the shower and hear a text or Facebook Message come in. I just shout out "Ok Google now, what's up?" and it reads my new messages to me, or at least who they're from (depending on how the particular messaging app handles notifications).

So, is it just me, or is this feature completely absent from the Moto Z? I ask it "what's up," and it does nothing. I've asked it "read me my notifications," doesn't work. Am I missing something? Or is this feature just gone? If so, WHY?!?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi all, I'll keep it brief. I've had a 1st gen Moto X on Republic Wireless since... well since the first day we were able to get a Moto X from Republic Wireless, whenever that was. Loved, loved that phone. Had a bamboo back on it, and the Moto Voice feature... It was something I thought was kind of gimmicky at first, but now I cannot, will not live without it.

Anyway that phone is ancient by technology standards, but I just replaced it a couple of weeks ago with a Moto Z. So far, I'm not that impressed. I have some minor gripes I'm sure I'll get used to/get over, but there is one thing I cannot get past. On my Moto X, I could ask it "What's up?" and it would read my notifications to me. Very handy, if, say, I'm in the shower and hear a text or Facebook Message come in. I just shout out "Ok Google now, what's up?" and it reads my new messages to me, or at least who they're from (depending on how the particular messaging app handles notifications).

So, is it just me, or is this feature completely absent from the Moto Z? I ask it "what's up," and it does nothing. I've asked it "read me my notifications," doesn't work. Am I missing something? Or is this feature just gone? If so, WHY?!?

As Google Voice Search got smarter, Moto Voice got phased out, even if it didn't match every feature.