Update removed shift key from keyboard

A

AC Question

I got the latest update for my Moto Z Droid phone and now the shift key doesn't appear on the keyboard. As I need to type in my password to unlock the phone, and my password contains a capital letter, I'm stuck! Help!

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Yeah, there are some reports about Gboard missing the swift key and the space bar after the update. There's an easy fix, but I'm not sure if it will work from the lock screen. Try this. From the keyboard, long press the 'comma' key, slide to cog/ settings icon, tap on 'Gboard keyboard settings', 'preferences' and switch 'numbers row' ON. Tell us how it goes.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Also, if you can't access the settings from the comma key, tap on the little arrow top left of the keyboard and then the cog/settings icon.
IMG_20170416_125117.jpg

CWaldner

Apr 17, 2017
Visit site
I can't get to the settings - there is no arrow at the top left. I just have the qwerty keyboard in lower case and numbers at the top. :(

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I can't get to the settings - there is no arrow at the top left. I just have the qwerty keyboard in lower case and numbers at the top. :(
Thanks for registering. Yeah, I wasn't sure if it would work on the lock screen. Have you already tried booting in safe mode? Worth a try. Do you have any other keyboard installed in your phone?

Jacob Wardell

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
I don't know if this will help at all, but I had a problem with the Shift Key not working when I had a USB keyboard plugged into my Android phone and I found a solution. Maybe the solution I found for my problem will fix your problem as well. If not, I do apologize.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 Android phone. I purchased a USB external physical keyboard that can connect with my Windows computers and my Android devices (via micro USB). The keyboard worked fine when I plugged it into my Windows computers. The keyboard worked pretty well Android phone, except for the fact that the Shift Key didn't do anything when I held it down and pressed other keys (to capitalize letters, type symbols found above the number keys, etc.). I tried a lot of stuff to get the Shift Key to work on my USB keyboard when I had it plugged into my phone. I couldn't get the Shift Key to work when I used the stock Google/Android keyboard app, the Samsung Keyboard app, or the SwiftKey Keyboard app. After a lot of trial and error with apps and settings (and a lot of frustration), I FINALLY came across an app that DOES solve the Shift key problem: The "Go Keyboard" app on the Google Play app store.

After I installed this app and set it as the default keyboard app on my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S5), the Shift key worked just fine when I used it while it was plugged into my Android phone (allowing me to capitalize letters and type symbols above the number keys).

I hope this works for you, too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol