Verizon Moto Z, heavy 12-15 hours use daily, needs restart too often. Do I...

A

AC Question

Greetings.

I got this Verizon Moto Z last October. It's a pretty good phone and I use it as a courier sometimes driving 12+ hours a day M-F. I now have to restart it many times a day. I've got "OK Google" reminders for 6am, 10am, 2pm, 6pm, 9pm. That seems to be a bit much.

I don't use a ton of apps but I do use them often throughout the day. I also "clear" apps when I'm done using them.

Google Maps, pretty much all day long creating routes sometimes with many stops.
Waze (only occasionally, like 2 times a week. Wish it had notification of which lane to be in)
Pocket Casts for podcasts
Google Play Music
NPR One
Google Messenger and Facebook Messenger
GasLog
Send short videos to wife with Google Photos
And camera of course

I also clear the cache via Settings > Storage once a week or once it's growing large. Had a gig in it when I first read about that setting.

2 Widgets running. Timely's digital clock/date on the home page, and Google Calendar taking up a whole other page. 5 screen pages total.

Any other info I should add?

Is there something obvious I should be doing? Should I maybe Root? Is this phone known for having issues? It's getting a bit annoying.

Thanks!

userphan

May 5, 2016
Visit site
Sorry about that.

It gets very slow suddenly. I will swipe down to reply to a text, then swipe down to return to google maps and it will take 15-20 seconds to fully respond and stop glitching. Normally the phone responds to switches quickly but every 4 hours or so it gets extremely slow even after having all apps except maps closed out. The restart takes care of it until it happens all over again.

edit to add: Or if I hit play on my radio head unit after pausing for a delivery destination it will not respond right away. Playing audio through bluetooth.

userphan

May 5, 2016
Visit site
Side note I found interesting. Due to the hours of Google Maps navigation use I have burn-in on my screen showing all the static buttons and panels on the navigation screen. Very visible. Not really a problem for me though.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
When you say you "close out" the apps, do you mean hit the Home button, hit the Back button or swipe them off the "recently used" screen? (Only the back button or exit on the app's menu if it has one actually closes the app. hitting the Home button leaves the app running. But with 4GB of RAM you shouldn't have a problem.)

userphan

May 5, 2016
Visit site
I hit the bottom right button on the screen that brings up a 3d tile view of the running apps. Right Swipe to close or Close All if I don't have a navigation running.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Start either backing out of apps, or using the "exit" or "quit" selection on the app's menu if it has one.

As for a list of installed apps, there may be an app that can do it, but the only way I've ever gotten close to that (I didn't produce a text list because I don't need one) is to back up everything using App Backup & Restore, then copying its whole folder to my PC. If you look at the contents of the folder in the PC, you'll see all your installed apps (and some that come with the phone). If you run a command window in that folder and type

dir > files.txt

You'll get a file named files.txt, with the full list of the files - which is a full list of your apps. (You could do it by plugging the phone into the computer, going to the folder there and running the command, but make sure you have a book to read.)

userphan

May 5, 2016
Visit site
Would it be helpful to do that, or to stitch together a tall image of my Settings > Apps > All Apps, to post here? I'm just giving things a bit more time for more replies before likely doing a factory reset.

In all reality is probably because I have it running, screen on, for pretty much the entire day, every day. Especially if I can't find any sketchy apps and if it continues after reset.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Does it overheat with you using it all day every day with the screen on and navigation running? Heat is bad for any phone. You can install an app to monitor battery heat if you don't have that already.

userphan

May 5, 2016
Visit site
Not that I've noticed though I do have a vent aimed at the back of it on the dash mount. My crappy work Android I have to use for my job's app gets hot though.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
My guess is that it's a rogue app slowing things down. I have no clue what it might be. But yeah, factory reset is probably what I would do if it were my phone.

turbochgd

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
How to restart my camera

Close the camera app as usual, then hit the "square" on the bottom right of your phone which opens a display the most recent apps you've had open. On the top right hand corner of these as it's an "x". Tap that and the app will be completely closed. Or....you could just restart the phone :)

userphan

May 5, 2016
Visit site
I did the factory reset. Still gets sluggish around 6 hours or so now. Maybe constant delivery courier style work is too much for it. I deleted any app that I haven't used in a while.

Strange thing though. I do voice/spoken input for most things I do on the phone. Now when I hit the mic button it will engage for a split second, then stop. I have to tap it a second time to get it to start listening.

Gboard is default keyboard. Google Voice Typing also set up.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer