What is up with my battery?

haleme

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site
The battery on my Moto Z has been really poor lately. When off a battery mod, it uses about 1% a minute. On a turbo charger, it struggles to stay above 90%.

It finally got to 100% and I restarted the Z and the battery went to 6%. Restarted again and it jumped to 80%.

Is this battery toast?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Time for a new battery. Have you been using it constantly until it tells you to recharge it, or until it shuts off? (Letting any lithium battery fall below 40% is a bad idea, as far as the battry'e longevity goes.)

haleme

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site
Time for a new battery. Have you been using it constantly until it tells you to recharge it, or until it shuts off? (Letting any lithium battery fall below 40% is a bad idea, as far as the battry'e longevity goes.)
Honestly, I think I have let it get to 0 about 4 times since I bought the Z in October of 2016. I have had it on the Incipio Battery Mod since day one, so it normally stays around 80%.

Sounds like it needs to have the battery replaced, so I'll try that. Using a Moto G5 right now, so I can afford for my Z to be OOC for a few days.

Will report back post repair.

haleme

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site
Update. After changing to 100% with the phone off, I let it sit all day unplugged and powered off. This afternoon, I turned it on and the battery was 5%.

Called local shop and they ordered a new battery. Should have it next week.

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Update. After changing to 100% with the phone off, I let it sit all day unplugged and powered off. This afternoon, I turned it on and the battery was 5%.

Called local shop and they ordered a new battery. Should have it next week.
Again, the battery on the Moto Z is replaceable?

turbochgd

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
Honestly, I think I have let it get to 0 about 4 times since I bought the Z in October of 2016. I have had it on the Incipio Battery Mod since day one, so it normally stays around 80%.

Sounds like it needs to have the battery replaced, so I'll try that. Using a Moto G5 right now, so I can afford for my Z to be OOC for a few days.

Will report back post repair.

I've noticed my Moto Z battery has been very poor lately as well. I use it like you, always with a battery mod on keeping it at 80%. But now I'm starting to wonder if that didn't help speed up it's demise.

I remember a laptop I had that I kept plugged into A/C all the time. The battery in that died very quickly and I'm thinking maybe the battery mod does something similar to the Moto Z internal battery as well. The battery mod is constantly trickle charging the internal as it gets used, so the internal is basically always plugged in as long as the mod has juice.

almalino

May 25, 2017
Visit site
Same here. Moto Z with Incipio Battery mod. It was all good untill this month. Now phone can die when main battery level shows like 50% and then I need to charge the phone to be able to turn it on. It was very frustrating lately. And it seems to be a common problem as I am a third one in this thread with the same problem after may be 6 month of using Moto Z with Battery mode?

Though I didn't test phone battery without battery mod. May be I should?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This is probably why they added the on/off feature on the battery mod settings.

haleme

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site
The local shop has put two batteries in so far and neither work. They are going to try one more time. Then I'll need to find another way to fix or replace the phone.

MotoRos

Jan 2, 2018
Visit site
Yes, I've been wading through the messages on the Lenovo forum. I've had my Verizon Moto Z for 18 months. The battery has never been great compared with previous phones but I had noticed it getting worse and worse. It lasts 5-8 hours tops, with about 2 hours of screen time. With the Incipio battery mod, it can last about 20 hours. This isn't as bad as what many people are reporting and most are suspecting the software updates, both 7.1.1 and 8.0. The Moto agents in the forum tend to pin it on 3rd party apps. I just installed 8.0. Haven't had it long enough to really tell, but it seems to be worse.

I talked to a Verizon tech the other day. He said to turn down the screen, uninstall all apps that you don't need, etc., which I have done. He also said that sometimes the update could cause a problem because it's being installed over the apps, and the best thing to do is do a factory data reset and reinstall the apps. Not something I want to do of course because then one has to reinstall everything.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams