Are there no unlocked versions of the Moto Z for a Verizon customer?

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Based on what I've read it's my understanding that there will not be an unlocked version of the Moto Z for a Verizon customer - is my understanding correct?

I currently have a Nexus 6P on Verizon and I still have my Unlimited Data Plan - the Nexus 6P allows me to tether without paying an addition $30/month to Verizon. I really want a new phone and the Moto Z Play looks perfect for my needs but I don't want to lose my ability to tether without paying $360/year.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Based on what I've read it's my understanding that there will not be an unlocked version of the Moto Z for a Verizon customer - is my understanding correct?

I currently have a Nexus 6P on Verizon and I still have my Unlimited Data Plan - the Nexus 6P allows me to tether without paying an addition $30/month to Verizon. I really want a new phone and the Moto Z Play looks perfect for my needs but I don't want to lose my ability to tether without paying $360/year.
The unlocked models will only be for the GSM-based carriers.

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
If you buy outright that shouldn't affect your contract, right?

Or wait until it becomes available on Swappa.

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
The unlocked models will only be for the GSM-based carriers.

Thanks for the clarification even thought that's not the news I wanted to hear. I was hoping that the non-Droid version of the Moto Z might be available as an unlocked phone for CDMA but sadly that's not the case.

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
If you buy outright that shouldn't affect your contract, right?

Or wait until it becomes available on Swappa.

Buying the phone outright is a good strategy to preserve UDP but it won't help me because Motorola isn't going to build an unlocked CDMA version of the Moto Z. The unlocked version of the Moto Z that will be offered (GSM) won't work on Verizon's network so my only option is to buy a Moto Z with Verizon's bloatware that also prevents me from using tethering unless I'm willing to pay another $30 per month.

I guess I'll have to wait to see how Google's new "Pixel" phone looks even though I prefer the Nexus branding...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the clarification even thought that's not the news I wanted to hear. I was hoping that the non-Droid version of the Moto Z might be available as an unlocked phone for CDMA but sadly that's not the case.

Nope. This year's, it's the fourth gen Moto G if you want unlocked from Motorola that works on Verizon.

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Buying the phone outright is a good strategy to preserve UDP but it won't help me because Motorola isn't going to build an unlocked CDMA version of the Moto Z. The unlocked version of the Moto Z that will be offered (GSM) won't work on Verizon's network so my only option is to buy a Moto Z with Verizon's bloatware that also prevents me from using tethering unless I'm willing to pay another $30 per month.

I guess I'll have to wait to see how Google's new "Pixel" phone looks even though I prefer the Nexus branding...
Thanks. Sorry for you that you will lose tethering. I was trying to figure out if I would lose UDP by buying outright

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
"Locking" means that the phone won't accept a "foreign" SIM card. CDMA carriers don't do that - they maintain lists of phones they will accept on their networks, so if your phone isn't on that list (say a Moto Z on Sprint), the network will reject it.

Things are changing - CDMA phones never had SIM cards, so there used to be no way to lock them.

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
"Locking" means that the phone won't accept a "foreign" SIM card. CDMA carriers don't do that - they maintain lists of phones they will accept on their networks, so if your phone isn't on that list (say a Moto Z on Sprint), the network will reject it.

Things are changing - CDMA phones never had SIM cards, so there used to be no way to lock them.

Thanks for the clarification - I can see that my use of the word "unlocked" was incorrect.

Just out of curiosity, what would be the correct way to describe the circumstance? Perhaps "Motorola will not offer a Moto Z Play for the GSM networks that's not free of carrier software and control"?

It would be interesting to know the details of Moto's deal with Verizon and whether it's really a good deal for Moto. I know Moto is now Verizon's exclusive OEM for the "Droid" branded phones but I'm not sure that's really worth much.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

"CDMA phones never had SIM cards" isn't a true statement though.

Last edited:

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the clarification - I can see that my use of the word "unlocked" was incorrect.

Just out of curiosity, what would be the correct way to describe the circumstance? Perhaps "Motorola will not offer a Moto Z Play for the GSM networks that's not free of carrier software and control"?

It would be interesting to know the details of Moto's deal with Verizon and whether it's really a good deal for Moto. I know Moto is now Verizon's exclusive OEM for the "Droid" branded phones but I'm not sure that's really worth much.
Apparently last year's totally unlocked carrier free MXPE did not sell well or they likely would have done that again, along with supplying Droids for Verizon.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

You don't need a sim for cdma. But you do for lte and gsm. Since Verizon's network consists of both cdma and lte, it uses a sim card

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Most people in this & similar threads are meaning "non-Verizon/Droid branded, and without Verizon software added" when they're saying "unlocked".

Yep. Unlocked/carrier-free phones that work on Verizon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1