08-01-2017 09:01 AM
194 12345 ...
tools
    I don't think the better battery is mostly from the lower screen resolution. I have a S7e and people with Grace UX on the Note 7 and S7e don't have that much better battery life after changing the screen resolution. I think it's the processor itself. The most I can get off of this S7e with a Snapdragon 820 is 7 1/2 hours of SOT on WiFi. Getting 10 hours of SOT with 2 days of use is crazy. Though I wouldn't switch my S7e if I had a chance to get this I would still like to have this to see what it could really do. You know full brightness, GPS on, gaming, etc.,. It would be a fun experiment to see what it could really do.
    09-26-2016 10:22 PM
    That's an interesting point about the screen resolution not being a major factor.
    09-26-2016 11:11 PM
    That's an interesting point about the screen resolution not being a major factor.
    It's the great Snapdragon 625 ( was reading about it on qualcomms website) plus Moto knows how to make battery and that the 1080 res is more than enough for such a small 5.5 inch screen.
    09-27-2016 06:24 AM
    I don't think the better battery is mostly from the lower screen resolution. I have a S7e and people with Grace UX on the Note 7 and S7e don't have that much better battery life after changing the screen resolution. I think it's the processor itself. The most I can get off of this S7e with a Snapdragon 820 is 7 1/2 hours of SOT on WiFi. Getting 10 hours of SOT with 2 days of use is crazy. Though I wouldn't switch my S7e if I had a chance to get this I would still like to have this to see what it could really do. You know full brightness, GPS on, gaming, etc.,. It would be a fun experiment to see what it could really do.
    There's a big difference in power savings between a screen that you can lower from QHD to 1080 and an actual 1080 screen.
    PowrDroid likes this.
    09-27-2016 07:17 AM
    Not sure who you're asking, but I have everything turned on. High accuracy location, brightness at 75%, wifi and bluetooth on 24/7, moto voice always listening, etc etc.

On 'bad' days I trend to 8 hours of SOT. On good days its over 10. (I say "trend" because I've never been able to run the phone below 40% in a single day no matter what, so I'm extrapolating from the data when I finally plug my phone in at the end of the day).

I don't even plug my phone in when I'm navigating in the car anymore. I've done a few ~30-45 min trips with Google Maps navigating. I extrapolated out the battery loss with the screen on with Google Maps navigating from those trips and you could navigate for over 8 hours on a single charge with the screen never dimming or turning off. It's absolutely insane!

I'm flying to NYC later today for work. If I left my charger at home I wouldn't even bother looking for a store to buy a usb c charger. I am absolutely confident I would still have plenty of battery when I get home at midnight tomorrow.
    Glad to hear from someone that is using the phone as intended with all the bells & whistled turned on. You use the phone as i do. Highest location accuracy, wifi, Bluetooth on, always listening on. I'm very much impressed. Seems to be the phone I've been wanting for quite some time.

Do you have the battery mod on the phone or are you just the phone with a style back?
    09-27-2016 07:18 AM
    Glad to hear from someone that is using the phone as intended with all the bells & whistled turned on. You use the phone as i do. Highest location accuracy, wifi, Bluetooth on, always listening on. I'm very much impressed. Seems to be the phone I've been wanting for quite some time.

Do you have the battery mod on the phone or are you just the phone with a style back?
    Just the phone
    09-27-2016 07:31 AM
    There's a big difference in power savings between a screen that you can lower from QHD to 1080 and an actual 1080 screen.
    I wouldn't think so would it? You can lower the screen resolution on the S7e to 720p if you want. I would think that would make a significant difference.
    09-27-2016 08:11 AM
    I wouldn't think so would it? You can lower the screen resolution on the S7e to 720p if you want. I would think that would make a significant difference.
    It's still a 1440p screen.
    09-27-2016 08:46 AM
    I really think these screens are simply overkill given such a small device. I am more than happy with a 1080 HD screen on my 14 inch laptop. I also think these processors are overkill as well, as I don't need a top end I7 processor in my Windows laptop simply to browse the web, watch some Youtube and Netflix, read my favorite news app, run the Spotify app, etc.

At some some point someone is gonna figure this out with Android phones. The "spec war" is all marketing hype.

Android folks love to bash Apple as spec wise the Iphone loses the "spec war." However, folks overlook that Apple coaxes way more bang for the buck out of their smaller batteries.

Have to give credit where credit is due...
    09-27-2016 08:59 AM
    True but phones previously that had 3100 - 3300 mAh batteries didn't get 10 hours of SOT with a 1080p or 720p display. One guy said he had phones with 6000 mAh batteries in his phone and it didn't get as good battery life as this phone. That's crazy talk. Motorola is doing some voodoo with this phone.
    1901Madison likes this.
    09-27-2016 12:36 PM
    Very nice feeling not have to worry about the battery anymore
    09-27-2016 03:02 PM
    True but phones previously that had 3100 - 3300 mAh batteries didn't get 10 hours of SOT with a 1080p or 720p display. One guy said he had phones with 6000 mAh batteries in his phone and it didn't get as good battery life as this phone. That's crazy talk. Motorola is doing some voodoo with this phone.
    This is so true. How does the Z Play get as good of battery life as phones with a 5000mah battery?
    09-27-2016 03:10 PM
    This is so true. How does the Z Play get as good of battery life as phones with a 5000mah battery?
    The Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 625 processor uses leading-edge 14 nm technology to power premium experiences in high-tier smartphones without draining the battery. With features like support for full HD (1080p), integrated X9 LTE, and Qualcomm® Adreno™ 506 PC-class graphics, the Snapdragon 625 is designed to provide fast connectivity, vibrant displays, and performance that's both powerful and efficient.

low-power Cortex A53 processor and efficiency-boosting features like universal bandwidth compression etc
    Sailindawg likes this.
    09-27-2016 04:57 PM
    I think it calls for a Blues Clues episode.
    09-27-2016 05:24 PM
    I'll have to wait till 20 October to find out! That's when Best Buy is scheduled to ship. Once I get the phone, i can mate that Incipio battery mod to the phone & see what I've got! Looks very promising so far!
    blessedred likes this.
    09-28-2016 02:47 PM
    I really think that it is the soc. My moto g4 plus is similarly specd other than the soc and gets at max 6 hours SOT.
    Sailindawg likes this.
    09-28-2016 02:49 PM
    I really think that it is the soc. My moto g4 plus is similarly specd other than the soc and gets at max 6 hours SOT.
    I agree.
    09-28-2016 04:12 PM
    I agree.
    Whatever it is, the Moto Z Play is giving me battery life similar to what I used to get with my Samsung S5 using the 5800mah Gorilla Gadgets extended battery. And this is without the battery mod.
    benjamminh likes this.
    09-28-2016 04:26 PM
    OK, so how does the camera rate with other phones??? I would imagine that some of you have owned Iphones, Samsung Galaxy, and other flagship phones...

Can anyone compare it to the Droid Turbo 2 which is what I currently own???

I'm not talking about spec wise as it has been my experience that megapixel and other spec measurements mean little....
    09-28-2016 11:04 PM
    Do you like the Droid Turbo 2 camera? The Z Play camera isn't considered as good as the Z Force, but might be comparable to the T2 overall.
    09-28-2016 11:33 PM
    OK, so how does the camera rate with other phones??? I would imagine that some of you have owned Iphones, Samsung Galaxy, and other flagship phones...

Can anyone compare it to the Droid Turbo 2 which is what I currently own???

I'm not talking about spec wise as it has been my experience that megapixel and other spec measurements mean little....
    I own an S7e but from what I've heard its pretty solid. Outdoor shots in the day have good color representation, contrast, and white balance but the exposure can be off at times like the HTC 10. Sometimes it blows out the highlights. In lowlight it's about average. Pretty much every camera on a phone this year is serviceable for the average person.
    benjamminh likes this.
    09-28-2016 11:34 PM
    The camera quality isn't very good compared to the flagships, but it is probably good enough for the average person.
    09-29-2016 01:09 AM
    Hey guys, I live in the Netherlands and registered here with my G+ account to comment here.

I got the Moto Z Play 2 days now, Before this I had the nexus 6p and before that the Moto X Play which had the 615 and a 3630 battery.

I can tell you now I am happy to have sold my 6P for the Z Play. The fingerprintscanner is very fast, faster than the 6P and better placed too. Battery life is so much better, about or above the same numbers I got from the Moto X Play, which was it's predecessor.

Difference is the 625 seems to blow the 615 out of the water, with that 1 gig of ram extra and the design + scanner it is an incredible package. I am getting the battery mod too so I can feel more secure when going out.

I got the dual sim version, I also got a free Style mod in the package, black threaded pattern, cloth like yet hard, feels great. The bootloader I unlocked already via the normal process, waiting for root capabilities.

To give an example, everything but wifi turned off in the dark, lowest brightness gave me 1:30 hour SoT until I got to 90%-92% more or less, amazingly well done phone.

It has no lagg to speak of and the camera is perfectly serviceable. Keeping this phone for a while for sure.
    09-29-2016 04:21 AM
    Do you like the Droid Turbo 2 camera? The Z Play camera isn't considered as good as the Z Force, but might be comparable to the T2 overall.
    The Droid Turbo 2 camera is OK -- certainly NOT flagship caliber. My number one complaint about the T2 is the camera. Before my T2 I owned an Iphone 5 which was the only smartphone I had ever owned. And I do think the Iphone 5 had a better camera.

Just curious if the Z Play camera is on par with the T2. I'm guessing that it isn't.

Hard to understand why in the past Moto's flagship phone cameras have lagged the competition. And I'm not interested in adding a camera mod.
    09-29-2016 10:20 AM
    The Droid Turbo 2 camera is OK -- certainly NOT flagship caliber. My number one complaint about the T2 is the camera. Before my T2 I owned an Iphone 5 which was the only smartphone I had ever owned. And I do think the Iphone 5 had a better camera.

Just curious if the Z Play camera is on par with the T2. I'm guessing that it isn't.

Hard to understand why in the past Moto's flagship phone cameras have lagged the competition. And I'm not interested in adding a camera mod.
    Agreed. I'm curious about the Z Play camera too? I also own a T2 and while its camera is pretty good under good lighting, it falls apart in the dark. There's no OIS and manual mode (or Hasselblad mod) to help either.

But back to battery. I can eke out 4.5-5 hrs of SOT in a day's use, but judging from this forum this Z Play seems to be able to double that and then some which is really impressive
    09-29-2016 12:19 PM
194 12345 ...