Moto Z Play Battery Life

Wobblin30

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Going on day four with the phone and the battery seems to be settling in nicely. I'm impressed so far.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160914-095137.jpg
    Screenshot_20160914-095137.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 288

vtpmt81

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
It seems like Moto made a lot of good decisions with this phone. The only thing I think is an issue is the price - I think it is just a touch too expensive (the unlocked version at $449 when it comes out).

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
It seems like Moto made a lot of good decisions with this phone. The only thing I think is an issue is the price - I think it is just a touch too expensive (the unlocked version at $449 when it comes out).
Why do you feel it is too expensive? I think that's pretty awesome compared to the full price of the z or z force.

vtpmt81

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Why do you feel it is too expensive? I think that's pretty awesome compared to the full price of the z or z force.

This phone performs well but the Moto Z and Z Force are some of the fastest phones that exist (only the iPhone 7 and One Plus Three are faster).

The Moto Z Play is a mid range phone and the Axon 7, Honor 8, One Plus 3, and Idol 4s all cost less and have better CPU/GPU performance and take better pictures. The Moto Z Play is banking on battery life, Moto software, and access to Moto mods to sell this phone. Moto's software is compelling (I owned the Moto X 2013 and 2014) but Moto under Lenovo doesn't update their phones or care about security. The Moto mods are cool but aren't cheap.

Now if you are on Verizon - this is a different story. The only other mid range Android competitors are the Moto G4 Plus and the Nexus 5x (I am not sure if the Axon 7 works on Verizon as of today). I would pick this phone over both over both of those if I was looking at the mid range.

Bosgarage57

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
That's amazing battery life. I think in the coming weeks if they would throw in a free mod (jbl speaker or a battery) than this phones price point would be perfect.

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
This phone performs well but the Moto Z and Z Force are some of the fastest phones that exist (only the iPhone 7 and One Plus Three are faster).

The Moto Z Play is a mid range phone and the Axon 7, Honor 8, One Plus 3, and Idol 4s all cost less and have better CPU/GPU performance and take better pictures. The Moto Z Play is banking on battery life, Moto software, and access to Moto mods to sell this phone. Moto's software is compelling (I owned the Moto X 2013 and 2014) but Moto under Lenovo doesn't update their phones or care about security. The Moto mods are cool but aren't cheap.

Now if you are on Verizon - this is a different story. The only other mid range Android competitors are the Moto G4 Plus and the Nexus 5x (I am not sure if the Axon 7 works on Verizon as of today). I would pick this phone over both over both of those if I was looking at the mid range.
Appreciate your explanation. I'm on Verizon so I like this as an upgrade from my MXPE

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Screenshot_20160913-185505~01.jpgScreenshot_20160914-075809~01.jpgScreenshot_20160914-145846~01.jpg

I have both the Moto Z Force and the Moto Z Play. The Force is my work phone and the Play is my personal phone. Both phones have great battery life, but the Play seems to do significantly better in that department. The attached screenshots were all taken since my last charge with the Z Play. 62% remaining after 5 hours of SOT and 32 hours off the charger? That's just crazy good!

But I am trying to figure out why the Z Play so vastly outperforms the Z Force in the battery life department. Yes, I understand that the Z Play toned down the screen and the processor, but should those changes alone account for such a major discrepancy? After all, both phones have approximately the same size battery. Then I started to look back through my GSAM readings and I realized that my "phone radio" used far more battery on the Force than on the Play, even when I am connected to wifi almost all day.

So I am wondering, is there a glitch or something with the Force where it still pulls cell data even when the phone is on wifi, whereas the Play is able to rely exclusively on wifi and not pull cell signal? I was seeing Phone Radio as taking up well over 20% on the Force, but around 12% on the Play.

Thoughts?

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I took my phone off the charger at about 7:30AM. 9 hours later it's at 44%. I've been using it pretty often, and listening to Spotify.

This is all over Verizon's network, no wifi. #impressed

ASD Dad

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Those numbers are all crazy good. My Moto MXPE barely makes it a work day now before I need to hit the charger in the car. My 5x is better with Nougat but its nowhere near these numbers. I average about 3-4 hours SOT and I am down into the 30% or less range.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Almost 14 hours later: 22%. 😸

I've never had an Android phone with battery life this good. And that includes an LG G4 with a 6200mah extended battery and a Samsung Galaxy S5 with a 5800mah extended battery. That's how incredible this is. And somehow Moto found a way to do it with a 3510mah battery.

Attachments

• 3375.jpg
    3375.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 137

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Is it possible there is something about the Z Force that keeps it awake more than the Z Play? I have both phones set up exactly the same way, yet the Force shows a much higher "held awake" time. This wasn't a one time thing either. This was a consistent pattern.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible there is something about the Z Force that keeps it awake more than the Z Play? I have both phones set up exactly the same way, yet the Force shows a much higher "held awake" time. This wasn't a one time thing either. This was a consistent pattern.
Hopefully if that's the case there's something that can be done to improve that. The Play should have better battery life, but the gap shouldn't be this large.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Finally plugged in this morning after more than 2 days off the charger. I couldn't be more impressed.

Attachments

• 3387.jpg
    3387.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 113

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

Maybe try turning off the motion sensors on the face that do the "wave" feature?

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Almost 8 1/2 hours of screen on time and you still have 37% battery remaining? That's filthy good!

Seriously! And that's over 2 days off the charger. If I had pushed it, probably could have gotten 3 days and 12+ hours SOT. I've never seen anything like it in 5 years of owning Android phones. And I wasn't doing anything in particular to conserve battery either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci