Moto Z Play Battery Life

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Used the phone a lot more tonight. Only Twitter, Reddit and Android Central, and the whole time on WiFi, but still pretty amazing.

Attachments

• 4580.jpg
    4580.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 54

equalizer88

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
You have 4 hours of screen time and 80% left? Do you have the battery mod attached?
If not, then with battery mod, battery could last a week with at least 6 hrs screen time.:)

huungryshark

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Went to bed with 99% and 9 hours later same 99℅ , loool

My Friends Can throw away their Samsung S7 and iPhone 7's now, Kindergarden against this beast of a phone :)

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
You have 4 hours of screen time and 80% left? Do you have the battery mod attached?
If not, then with battery mod, battery could last a week with at least 6 hrs screen time.:)

I'm as surprised as you. No battery mod and I don't do any gaming, but it's still pretty amazing.

Sailindawg

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Do you have location services on? Do you have location services set on the highest, most accurate setting?

Do you use Google Now/Moto Voice?

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Do you have location services on? Do you have location services set on the highest, most accurate setting?

Do you use Google Now/Moto Voice?

Not sure who you're asking, but I have everything turned on. High accuracy location, brightness at 75%, wifi and bluetooth on 24/7, moto voice always listening, etc etc.

On 'bad' days I trend to 8 hours of SOT. On good days its over 10. (I say "trend" because I've never been able to run the phone below 40% in a single day no matter what, so I'm extrapolating from the data when I finally plug my phone in at the end of the day).

I don't even plug my phone in when I'm navigating in the car anymore. I've done a few ~30-45 min trips with Google Maps navigating. I extrapolated out the battery loss with the screen on with Google Maps navigating from those trips and you could navigate for over 8 hours on a single charge with the screen never dimming or turning off. It's absolutely insane!

I'm flying to NYC later today for work. If I left my charger at home I wouldn't even bother looking for a store to buy a usb c charger. I am absolutely confident I would still have plenty of battery when I get home at midnight tomorrow.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
The Quad HD screen on the Force (535ppi) vs. the 1080p on the Play (403ppi) makes a huge difference. Not to mention the 625 processor vs. 820. The 820 is power hungry and needs to be to push all those pixels. I'm not sure what Qualcom did with the 625 but it's incredibly power efficient. At the end of the day it's a trade of but for me, I'll sacrifice less pixels and camera performance for battery life.

Just goes to show what a power drain the top-of-the-line Qualcomm chips are as well as the Quad HD screen.

1080 dpi is PLENTY resolution for a small screen. I just can't get folks fascination with "pixel" count on phones. The Apple guys got it right as they don't get all hung up on "spec wars" as they understand that overall battery life is they key combined with GREAT cameras.

If only the Apple guys weren't so hung up on "thinness" and put bigger batteries in their phones...

I wish more Android phones would come out with slightly lower processors, lower dpi screens, combined with BETTER CAMERAS.

I think I read somewhere that the new Pixel phones may have slightly less resolution...Looking forward to seeing what they are doing.

I have a Droid Turbo 2 currently. How does the Z Play camera in REAL WORLD USAGE compare to the Droid Turbo 2????

JoSam42

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
Just thought I'd post my battery story. Bought the phone last Wed. It came with 97% battery. Day 1 was heavy use setting it up then I'm more of a light user. The battery lasted me until SUNDAY 5PM - 101 hours! Strangely, I charged it full after it went completely dead and here I am 18 hours later and its quickly down to 82% already. I did accidentally leave my Sunday TIcket app on in the background with location turned on (which I never do).

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Just thought I'd post my battery story. Bought the phone last Wed. It came with 97% battery. Day 1 was heavy use setting it up then I'm more of a light user. The battery lasted me until SUNDAY 5PM - 101 hours! Strangely, I charged it full after it went completely dead and here I am 18 hours later and its quickly down to 82% already. I did accidentally leave my Sunday TIcket app on in the background with location turned on (which I never do).

I'd say that losing 18% battery over 18 hours of idling is still pretty darn good! One percent per hour is pretty typical of any phone, usually it's more in my experience.

So how about it Play owners? What is your battery loss in percent per hour when the phone is idling?

huungryshark

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I'd say that losing 18% battery over 18 hours of idling is still pretty darn good! One percent per hour is pretty typical of any phone, usually it's more in my experience.

So how about it Play owners? What is your battery loss in percent per hour when the phone is idling?

When idling nearly nothing went to bed with 99 and woke up after a long sleep with 98 ℅ :)

Start to think i won't need the battery Pack, going for the JBL soundboost mod instead. This phone is charging so fast also.

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the better battery is mostly from the lower screen resolution. I have a S7e and people with Grace UX on the Note 7 and S7e don't have that much better battery life after changing the screen resolution. I think it's the processor itself. The most I can get off of this S7e with a Snapdragon 820 is 7 1/2 hours of SOT on WiFi. Getting 10 hours of SOT with 2 days of use is crazy. Though I wouldn't switch my S7e if I had a chance to get this I would still like to have this to see what it could really do. You know full brightness, GPS on, gaming, etc.,. It would be a fun experiment to see what it could really do.

huungryshark

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
That's an interesting point about the screen resolution not being a major factor.

It's the great Snapdragon 625 ( was reading about it on qualcomms website) plus Moto knows how to make battery and that the 1080 res is more than enough for such a small 5.5 inch screen.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the better battery is mostly from the lower screen resolution. I have a S7e and people with Grace UX on the Note 7 and S7e don't have that much better battery life after changing the screen resolution. I think it's the processor itself. The most I can get off of this S7e with a Snapdragon 820 is 7 1/2 hours of SOT on WiFi. Getting 10 hours of SOT with 2 days of use is crazy. Though I wouldn't switch my S7e if I had a chance to get this I would still like to have this to see what it could really do. You know full brightness, GPS on, gaming, etc.,. It would be a fun experiment to see what it could really do.

There's a big difference in power savings between a screen that you can lower from QHD to 1080 and an actual 1080 screen.

Sailindawg

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Not sure who you're asking, but I have everything turned on. High accuracy location, brightness at 75%, wifi and bluetooth on 24/7, moto voice always listening, etc etc.

On 'bad' days I trend to 8 hours of SOT. On good days its over 10. (I say "trend" because I've never been able to run the phone below 40% in a single day no matter what, so I'm extrapolating from the data when I finally plug my phone in at the end of the day).

I don't even plug my phone in when I'm navigating in the car anymore. I've done a few ~30-45 min trips with Google Maps navigating. I extrapolated out the battery loss with the screen on with Google Maps navigating from those trips and you could navigate for over 8 hours on a single charge with the screen never dimming or turning off. It's absolutely insane!

I'm flying to NYC later today for work. If I left my charger at home I wouldn't even bother looking for a store to buy a usb c charger. I am absolutely confident I would still have plenty of battery when I get home at midnight tomorrow.
Glad to hear from someone that is using the phone as intended with all the bells & whistled turned on. You use the phone as i do. Highest location accuracy, wifi, Bluetooth on, always listening on. I'm very much impressed. Seems to be the phone I've been wanting for quite some time.

Do you have the battery mod on the phone or are you just the phone with a style back?

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Glad to hear from someone that is using the phone as intended with all the bells & whistled turned on. You use the phone as i do. Highest location accuracy, wifi, Bluetooth on, always listening on. I'm very much impressed. Seems to be the phone I've been wanting for quite some time.

Do you have the battery mod on the phone or are you just the phone with a style back?
Just the phone

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
There's a big difference in power savings between a screen that you can lower from QHD to 1080 and an actual 1080 screen.

I wouldn't think so would it? You can lower the screen resolution on the S7e to 720p if you want. I would think that would make a significant difference.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
It's still a 1440p screen.

I really think these screens are simply overkill given such a small device. I am more than happy with a 1080 HD screen on my 14 inch laptop. I also think these processors are overkill as well, as I don't need a top end I7 processor in my Windows laptop simply to browse the web, watch some Youtube and Netflix, read my favorite news app, run the Spotify app, etc.

At some some point someone is gonna figure this out with Android phones. The "spec war" is all marketing hype.

Android folks love to bash Apple as spec wise the Iphone loses the "spec war." However, folks overlook that Apple coaxes way more bang for the buck out of their smaller batteries.

Have to give credit where credit is due...

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
It's still a 1440p screen.

True but phones previously that had 3100 - 3300 mAh batteries didn't get 10 hours of SOT with a 1080p or 720p display. One guy said he had phones with 6000 mAh batteries in his phone and it didn't get as good battery life as this phone. That's crazy talk. Motorola is doing some voodoo with this phone.