US: Amazon/Best Buy Pre-Orders for the GSM Unlocked Moto Z Play

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Pre-order pages for the GSM Unlocked Motorola Moto Z Play are now live for both Best Buy. Both stores have the phone listed for $449.99 with a release/shipping date of October 20, 2016.

The Motorola Moto Z Play features the new Snapdragon 625 processor and Adreno 506 GPU, with 3GB of RAM and 32GB of internal storage with a microSD card slot for storage expansion. The front features a 5MP f/2.2 wide-angle camera with flash and the rear camera is a familiar 16MP f/2.0 (see Nexus 6, third gen Moto G) with phase-detect and laser autofocus. The 5.5" 1920x1080 screen coupled with a 3510 mAh battery brings phenomenal battery life - Motorola claims "50 hours". And when you need to charge, Motorola's TurboPower charging over USB-C can get you up to 9 hours of use in 15 minutes of charging.

With this being a Moto Z, Moto Mods are also supported. The same Style Shells, PowerPacks, projector, speaker, and camera mods that are available now for the other Moto Zs also work here with the Moto Z Play.

With a $450 price point, extreme battery life, decent camera, and Moto Mod expansion, the Moto Z Play makes a compelling base for "modularity". Will you be pre-ordering?

Note: Unlike last year's unlocked Moto X Pure Edition, the unlocked Moto Z Play only works with GSM-based carriers like AT&T and T-Mobile. The unlocked Moto Z Play does not work with Verizon, nor Sprint.

Sources:
Amazon: Moto Z Play - Lunar Grey - 32GB (U.S. Warranty)
Best Buy: Motorola Moto Z Play 4G LTE with 32GB Memory Cell Phone (Unlocked) Multi 01095NARTL - Best Buy

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Ry. Also, the Incipio off grid 2200mah battery is included in the Best Buy deal.

What gets me is that this version is $50 more than Verizons. No bump in memory, or added features, just compatible with GSM. That costs $50 more?

$399 was the excellent price point. Not that $50 puts it out of range, but I'm thinking about it a bit more.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Ry. Also, the Incipio off grid 2200mah battery is included in the Best Buy deal.

What gets me is that this version is $50 more than Verizons. No bump in memory, or added features, just compatible with GSM. That costs $50 more?

$399 was the excellent price point. Not that $50 puts it out of range, but I'm thinking about it a bit more.

Verizon's probably subsidizing some of the cost there.

They've done a similar thing with the Moto Z (Droid is $624 while the GSM unlocked is $699.99) and with the prepaid Moto E and Moto G.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm on the hunt for a daily driver for the next 1.5-2 years. Google's Pixel reveal will determine what device I roll with. I'm a big Moto fan as the original X, Moto X Pure (2015) have served me well. I'm confident that the Z play will more than suit my needs.

I'd like to see some more style mods before the end of the year. Rubberized and textured backs in a variety of colors is what I'm looking for.

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm on the hunt for a daily driver for the next 1.5-2 years. Google's Pixel reveal will determine what device I roll with. I'm a big Moto fan as the original X, Moto X Pure (2015) have served me well. I'm confident that the Z play will more than suit my needs.

I'd like to see some more style mods before the end of the year. Rubberized and textured backs in a variety of colors is what I'm looking for.
I feel like it's a chicken and egg problem. The more popular the phone is, the more mods that will be manufactured.

Coming from the MXPE, the play is so much better. I'm loving the battery life, lack of lag and the fingerprint sensor.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully this means we'll get some cases and screen protectors from accessory manufacturers.

Although I will probably have a Pixel pre-ordered by then :)

I really think the Moto Z Play is one of the all around best phones available right now. My complaints are I want to be able to adjust DPI and I wouldn't mind a slightly improved camera.

For phones I own/owned in 2016:

Note 7 - its freaking expensive. Amazing camera and feel in hand though.
G4 Plus - $100 overpriced in my opinion, but a good cheap phone
Nexus 5x - way too slow, camera is way too slow, horrible multitasking, 2.5 hour SOT
Nexus 6p - too big in the hand

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you on the Note 7...way too expensive for me.

Earlier this year my S6 active suffered water damage and I was ultimately refunded for all the issues I experienced.

During that time, I picked up a MXPE for $230 and even though I love the experience, 16gb ROM, and battery life is a downer. Those 2 can be fixed with a purchase for the Z play.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I think the Z Play will be pretty popular, which will help entice vendors to make more mods, or at least style shells. I hope so at least...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz