09-30-2016 01:50 PM
27 12
tools
    For some reason, on the Motorola website, the Z line only shows using A-GPS and not GLONASS. Other sources show the other two phones having GLONASS, but not the Z Play. Can anyone confirm that the Z Play does have GLONASS? You can use GPS Test from the Play Store to check. Circles are GPS satellites and triangles are GLONASS.
    09-20-2016 12:33 AM
    For some reason, on the Motorola website, the Z line only shows using A-GPS and not GLONASS. Other sources show the other two phones having GLONASS, but not the Z Play. Can anyone confirm that the Z Play does have GLONASS? You can use GPS Test from the Play Store to check. Circles are GPS satellites and triangles are GLONASS.
    The Z Play DOES NOT have GLONASS only A-GPS
    09-20-2016 02:22 AM
    What's the difference?
    09-20-2016 07:27 AM
    What's the difference?
    Glonass is Russia's GPS

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GLONASS
    09-20-2016 08:03 AM
    What's your basis for saying that? Are you going by information on Motorola's site or have you tested it yourself?
    09-20-2016 10:34 AM
    What's your basis for saying that? Are you going by information on Motorola's site or have you tested it yourself?
    http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_z_play-8310.php

All phones are based on their in house testing.
    I would trust what they say.
    The Moto Z Play is also considered a MID RANGE device. Not high end. Which would be very typical to not include GLONASS GPS and only AGPS
    09-20-2016 10:14 PM
    Motorola Moto Z Play - Full phone specifications

All phones are based on their in house testing.
    I would trust what they say.
    The Moto Z Play is also considered a MID RANGE device. Not high end. Which would be very typical to not include GLONASS GPS and only AGPS
    That information is taken from other sources, not them tearing into the phone. They even have a disclaimer on the site that the info may be incorrect.

Also, there is a guy on XDA that posted a pic showing that the Z Play was picking up GLONASS. Thing is, he's in a different country, so it's not for certain that the phones are the same in different markets.
    09-21-2016 06:05 PM
    That information is taken from other sources, not them tearing into the phone. They even have a disclaimer on the site that the info may be incorrect.

Also, there is a guy on XDA that posted a pic showing that the Z Play was picking up GLONASS. Thing is, he's in a different country, so it's not for certain that the phones are the same in different markets.
    How can you tell? The GPS apps I installed don't show what you're connecting to.
    09-21-2016 06:21 PM

You either have it or you don't GLONASS doesn't just work in certain countries, it's GPS if the phone has it, it will use it. Typically mid range or low range phones don't have anything but AGPS.

If you aren't happy with the answers you are getting here, then maybe you should reach out to Motorola and ASK them
    09-21-2016 10:01 PM
    How can you tell? The GPS apps I installed don't show what you're connecting to.
    If you use GPS Test GLONASS satellites are represented by a triangle.
    09-22-2016 12:07 AM
    Does it matter if it doesn't have both?
    09-22-2016 01:47 AM
    Does it matter if it doesn't have both?
    It actually does. Having GLONASS adds to the amount of Satellites you connect to. More accurate, quicker response having GLONASS in addition to A-GPS

There are 4 Main types of GPS:

A-GPS - Assisted GPS (abbreviated generally as A-GPS and less commonly as aGPS) is a system that often significantly improves startup performance—i.e., time-to-first-fix (TTFF), of a GPS satellite-based positioning system. AKA CRAP!

GLONASS - GLONASS is an acronym, which stands for Globalnaya Navigazionnaya Sputnikovaya Sistema, or Global Navigation Satellite System. GLONASS is Russia’s version of GPS

BDS - The BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS ) is a Chinese satellite navigation system. It consists of two separate satellite constellations – a limited test system that has been operating since 2000, and a full-scale global navigation system that is currently under construction. Chinese Version of GPS

GALILEO - Galileo is the global navigation satellite system (GNSS) Europes version of GPS
    09-22-2016 02:27 AM
    If you use GPS Test GLONASS satellites are represented by a triangle.
    Does this help?

09-22-2016 06:21 AM

It actually does. Having GLONASS adds to the amount of Satellites you connect to. More accurate, quicker response having GLONASS in addition to A-GPS

There are 4 Main types of GPS:

A-GPS - Assisted GPS (abbreviated generally as A-GPS and less commonly as aGPS) is a system that often significantly improves startup performance—i.e., time-to-first-fix (TTFF), of a GPS satellite-based positioning system. AKA CRAP!

GLONASS - GLONASS is an acronym, which stands for Globalnaya Navigazionnaya Sputnikovaya Sistema, or Global Navigation Satellite System. GLONASS is Russia’s version of GPS

BDS - The BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS ) is a Chinese satellite navigation system. It consists of two separate satellite constellations – a limited test system that has been operating since 2000, and a full-scale global navigation system that is currently under construction. Chinese Version of GPS

GALILEO - Galileo is the global navigation satellite system (GNSS) Europes version of GPS
    Maybe I should restate my question. If I'm in the US, does it matter if I can't connect to Russian or Chinese satellites? Honest question.
    09-22-2016 10:28 AM
    Maybe I should restate my question. If I'm in the US, does it matter if I can't connect to Russian or Chinese satellites? Honest question.
    If you're on earth it doesn't matter. GPS is, as the name implies, global.
    09-22-2016 10:48 AM
    Thanks dude. Looks like it can detect GLONASS satellites, but doesn't use them. That seems weird to me, but I have no idea how GPS systems work.
    09-22-2016 11:01 AM
    If you're on earth it doesn't matter. GPS is, as the name implies, global.
    So basically if I'm in the US, the Moto Z Play is going to be able to use GPS navigation as well as any other phone?
    09-22-2016 02:33 PM
    So basically if I'm in the US, the Moto Z Play is going to be able to use GPS navigation as well as any other phone?
    That's correct. I wouldn't give it another thought.
    benjamminh and Law2138 like this.
    09-22-2016 02:46 PM
    As another posted said, the more satellites you connect to, the more accurate your positioning will be. It's certainly not a deal breaker that GLONASS isn't supported, but it's always nice to have.
    09-22-2016 04:20 PM
    That's NOT correct, not at all. First, there is no reason that if your phone has GLONASS it wouldn't USE it!?
    I don't know any phone manufacture that would include the chipset for GLONASS and not utilize it.
    Second, NO your GPS will NOT work as well with just A-GPS vs having both A-GPS and GLONASS
    as JMZ768 stated, like I said before, the more the better, the more accurate.
    Phones that JUST have A-GPS connect to less Satellites, take longer to connect, and are far less accurate.
    That's a fact.
    09-23-2016 11:07 PM
    If triangles are Glonass it looks like it uses those too

Also this thing locks damn near instantly.

09-24-2016 11:31 AM
    If triangles are Glonass it looks like it uses those too

Also this thing locks damn near instantly.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...dcbe688e9c.jpg
    I'm confused as to why your first image shows the triangles not highlighted, but the second one does. Did you have to change a setting, or does it only sometimes connect to the GLONASS satellites?
    09-25-2016 09:54 PM
    I'm confused as to why your first image shows the triangles not highlighted, but the second one does. Did you have to change a setting, or does it only sometimes connect to the GLONASS satellites?
    I didn't change anything. Maybe it just grabs whatever is strongest. Just loaded it up again, 3 triangles and 8 circles locked in 3 seconds.
    09-25-2016 09:56 PM
    I didn't change anything. Maybe it just grabs whatever is strongest. Just loaded it up again, 3 triangles and 8 circles locked in 3 seconds.
    Interesting, thanks for the clarification.
    09-25-2016 11:33 PM
    Weird, looks like the Z Play isn't advertised as having GLONASS but various people with GPS apps say that it does and Clocks says the phone locks instantly.

So, the verdict? Does this thing have GLONASS or not?
    09-29-2016 12:23 PM
27 12