Is Oct. 20th too late for Unlocked GSM?

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Maybe its just me getting anxious for this device, but I'm thinking that Oct. 20th is a bit late for the Z Play. It IS definitely the $400-$450 phone of the year IMO. I feel that the Z and Z Force exclusivity has held back the Z for 3 months only for the unlocked models to be overshadowed by the iPhone 7 and Pixel launch. Especially, when those devices are in the same bracket for pricing.

Thinking forward to the holiday season, a $400 phone bundled with a few mods is a more attractive gift than a $700 device. I'm really hoping that Lenovo really advertises the Z play because of its tremendous value.

Sold out style mods isn't going to fly either. The style shells on the site launched with the Z Droid 3 months ago and all 6 colors are sold out. With the unlocked variants hitting the shelves, I'd expect the style mods to reflect the variety we had with moto maker.

I just feel, had Lenovo just been allowed to hit the market with the unlocked Z simultaneously as the Moto Z Droid and Z Force Droid, and then the Play versions in early August, they'd be the talk of the town.

In order for the Moto Zs to remain relevant over the next 4-5 months, I think we'll need to see 1 or 2 more mods and some cool styles that make people want to invest in the phone.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Maybe its just me getting anxious for this device, but I'm thinking that Oct. 20th is a bit late for the Z Play. It IS definitely the $400-$450 phone of the year IMO. I feel that the Z and Z Force exclusivity has held back the Z for 3 months only for the unlocked models to be overshadowed by the iPhone 7 and Pixel launch. Especially, when those devices are in the same bracket for pricing.

Thinking forward to the holiday season, a $400 phone bundled with a few mods is a more attractive gift than a $700 device. I'm really hoping that Lenovo really advertises the Z play because of its tremendous value.

Sold out style mods isn't going to fly either. The style shells on the site launched with the Z Droid 3 months ago and all 6 colors are sold out. With the unlocked variants hitting the shelves, I'd expect the style mods to reflect the variety we had with moto maker.

I just feel, had Lenovo just been allowed to hit the market with the unlocked Z simultaneously as the Moto Z Droid and Z Force Droid, and then the Play versions in early August, they'd be the talk of the town.

In order for the Moto Zs to remain relevant over the next 4-5 months, I think we'll need to see 1 or 2 more mods and some cool styles that make people want to invest in the phone.

Well that's what happens when you sign a pact with the red devil....Verizon will get the exclusive for a bit.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Not for me. I was going to get another Nexus(Pixel XL) which is coming out in October so it's not a biggie for me. Upgrading my Nexus 5 to this amazing battery saver of a phone Moto Z Play. I'm so ready for this phone.

Sailindawg

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I kind of don't get Moto marketing. Last year they have the middle finger to all carriers and simply made the phone & sold it in their website & best buy. They later fulfilled Verizon.

This the year the complete opposite. What I don't get is that they develop "shattershield", which is long over due in the cellphone market and it's a Verizon exclusive!? WTF!?

The Play seems to fit my needs, but it is aphone that is unusual which means no case and no way to provide extra protection for the screen. I would feel great to have the phone naked if it has shattershield. But no, its a Verizon exclusive. I simply don't understand their marketing strategy ir lack of it. Moto is the company that pioneered cell phones.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I kind of don't get Moto marketing. Last year they have the middle finger to all carriers and simply made the phone & sold it in their website & best buy. They later fulfilled Verizon.

This the year the complete opposite. What I don't get is that they develop "shattershield", which is long over due in the cellphone market and it's a Verizon exclusive!? WTF!?

The Play seems to fit my needs, but it is aphone that is unusual which means no case and no way to provide extra protection for the screen. I would feel great to have the phone naked if it has shattershield. But no, its a Verizon exclusive. I simply don't understand their marketing strategy ir lack of it. Moto is the company that pioneered cell phones.

The quest for the perfect phone continues. And maybe I'll never find one, but the Play comes very close to what I'm looking for in a phone right now. Smooth software, great battery life, good display.
If they just went ahead and included shattershield with a better camera on the Z play, and released this months ago...it would have been a slam dunk. Heck, I would pay $550 for the extra protection and camera quality.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
The quest continues... indeed! While I'm waiting on the Pixel to emerge, you guys have piqued my interest in the $400 mid-tier phones, especially since none of the Android flagships released thus far attract me.

So yeah, I've now looked at the Moto Z Play, the 1P3, and now the Xiaomi Mi 5s Plus (which actually sounds killer - SD821/6GB/5.7 in display - and under $400.. but will it be available in the USA?).
Xiaomi Mi 5s Plus - Full phone specifications

All these available choices (notably the Moto Z Play coming 10/20 and the currently available iP3) have strong pluses and minuses.

Considering the Moto.. does the news that Motorola just laid off a bunch of employees give any concern for the future of Motorola and support going forward?
http://www.droid-life.com/2016/09/26/motorola-goes-yet-another-massive-layoff/

Or the OnePlus 3... merging Oxygen and Hydrogen (because of an exodus of developers) give any pause for thought for the future as well as support?
OnePlus developer exodus forced merger of OxygenOS and HydrogenOS | Android Central

All I can say is hurry up Pixel. I gotta know my choices so I can just buy something already!

And pertinent to the title of this thread, yes, I think the late release of the Moto Z Play is a huge mistake on the part of Motorola... as is the VZW exclusive to this point. As will be the Pixel exclusive (else buy from Google) too. There are too many phones to consider to release a current phone to the GSM market this late in the game. Exclusives make no sense in the world of CDMA and GSM.

I may have to stop by a VZW store just to take a look at the Moto Z Play. But I have no interest in moving from AT&T to VZW at this time. I wish BestBuy carried phones like the OnePlus 3.

Edit: BTW, I read that the shattershield displays scratch easily. Sounds like they had to soften the glass to make it shatterproof. So I'm not sure I'm a fan of those displays personally.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Its the year of the mid-range phone, without a doubt.

There was some report that suggested that smartphone ownership is leveling out, meaning that the markets are saturated with all sorts of phones that meet a variety of needs/wants. What these companies have shown us is that, we can get decent cameras, adequate batteries, attractive screens and designs and a current OS for around $300-$400.

The iPhone is what it is. There's so substitute and if people want iOS they'll purchase one of the few iPhones offered. Even now, people don't have to spend $700 on an iPhone 7 to get the latest iOS. Less features sure, but people in general still use their phones for calls,texting, browsing, social media, pictures, music and videos.

The Android market is super competitive. Manufacturers offer their take on what works best for consumers and toss in a variety of specs, cameras, apps and services to make theirs seem better. When comparing most of the phones today, there's always a trade off and not 1 android has it all. IMO, they've reached a point where gimmicks are a selling point, (ie iris scanners). There is a need to make next year's model better specwise to justify a slightly higher asking price.

Over this past year I've come to realize. While I enjoy playing with the latest and greatest tech, discussing it here on the forums and reading reviews, its not practical for me to own a $700+ flagship device. Sure, I could survive using a $100 smartphone, but I fall somewhere in the middle. I enjoy taking a nice picture occasionally, watching videos, browsing and streaming music, texting and making the occasional phone call but that's about it. A mid-range device does exactly that. For $400, the Z Play is a great mid-ranger and all those phones mentioned above suit alot of people needs without emptying the bank.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Its the year of the mid-range phone, without a doubt.

There was some report that suggested that smartphone ownership is leveling out, meaning that the markets are saturated with all sorts of phones that meet a variety of needs/wants. What these companies have shown us is that, we can get decent cameras, adequate batteries, attractive screens and designs and a current OS for around $300-$400.

The iPhone is what it is. There's so substitute and if people want iOS they'll purchase one of the few iPhones offered. Even now, people don't have to spend $700 on an iPhone 7 to get the latest iOS. Less features sure, but people in general still use their phones for calls,texting, browsing, social media, pictures, music and videos.

The Android market is super competitive. Manufacturers offer their take on what works best for consumers and toss in a variety of specs, cameras, apps and services to make theirs seem better. When comparing most of the phones today, there's always a trade off and not 1 android has it all. IMO, they've reached a point where gimmicks are a selling point, (ie iris scanners). There is a need to make next year's model better specwise to justify a slightly higher asking price.

Over this past year I've come to realize. While I enjoy playing with the latest and greatest tech, discussing it here on the forums and reading reviews, its not practical for me to own a $700+ flagship device. Sure, I could survive using a $100 smartphone, but I fall somewhere in the middle. I enjoy taking a nice picture occasionally, watching videos, browsing and streaming music, texting and making the occasional phone call but that's about it. A mid-range device does exactly that. For $400, the Z Play is a great mid-ranger and all those phones mentioned above suit alot of people needs without emptying the bank.
I agree with you whole heartily. I was always about the latest and greatest but it just doesn't always work like that anymore. These mid range phones are almost better in my mind for my needs than these so called flagship phones. I'm done spending over $700 for a f'n phone when I can spend around $400 and get a great f'n phone with amazing battery life.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I think you guys may be right about the $400 phones. It may make more sense to buy $400 phones every 2 years than buying an $800 phone every 4 years.

I'm still waiting to see the Pixel XL, but am kinda leaning to the OP3 or maybe the Moto Z Play when it releases on 10/20.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Edit: BTW, I read that the shattershield displays scratch easily. Sounds like they had to soften the glass to make it shatterproof. So I'm not sure I'm a fan of those displays personally.

Yup, many Z Force users (like myself) are putting a screen protector on immediately. I'm quite happy with mine - the feel of glass (tempered glass protector) and the assurance that if something happens, I only need to replace an inexpensive screen protector.

BTW, they didn't soften the glass... there is no glass. It uses hard plastic screen lenses throughout. The plastic will never shatter. Generally the first thing that'll take damage (aside from scratches on the replaceable top lens) is the digitizer connections, which they've doubled up on for extra durability. I saw one review where they dropped the phone from 5+ ft, and after around 5 drops from that height, the digitizer stopped working. Many people have reported dozens of drops without any issue though. It's not indestructible, but it is very durable, and will never shatter.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I stopped by BestBuy for a few minutes today to check out their unlocked phones. They had a sign out for the Moto Z Play, but no phone in sight. There was some kind of Samsung in its place.

I did see some $399 Huawei Honor 8 phones in black and white running MM. Very nice in appearance, although on the smallish side for me. But right next to them was a Huawei 6p that was running Nougat 7.0. Very nice. I was suitably impressed. I could almost be persuaded to go for a 64/128 GB 6p except for they're still going for $549 for the 64GB version. I don't know how much the 128GB version is. But with a OP3 going for $399, I couldn't justify spending that much on a year old phone now. But I did like what little I saw of Nougat.

I really stopped by to see the ZTE Axon 7, but none were in sight. And of course all the CSRs were tied up with other customers.

But I keep coming back to that 6p. I really liked it a lot. And I liked the size too. Were it this time last year, I would have bought it on the spot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy