01-30-2017 05:56 PM
38 12
tools
    How about a "bottom line" for those of us that don't know these applications by name? For example:

1. With the Z Play will I be able to see photos stored on my phone on my smart TV?

2. Will I be able to control YouTube with my phone and see the content on my smart TV?

Put another way, specifically what functionality is lost on the Z Play with the removal of Miracast? What were you doing with your previous phone that you can no longer do with Z Play?
    The answer to both of those questions depends on your smart TV. Smart TVs are another fragmented area of tech. Some early ones (from Sony IIRC) are having their YouTube apps disabled, because their hardware can't run the latest versions, so the functionality is breaking. This is part of why it's unwise to spend much (if any) extra on "smart" features in a TV. Better to invest in & use a good system that plugs in, like Chromecast, or XBox One / PS4, or Android TV, or Roku, etc. They too will become outdated, but they're easier & cheaper to replace than a whole smart tv.

So, you may be able to do both 1 and 2 with your tv, depending on what model it is and features it has. If not, it's not hard or terribly expensive to add a Chromecast or other device that will allow both with the Z Play.

Miracast was a screen mirroring protocol. So whatever you did on your device, it showed on the screen. It's handy for some things, and I can understand where some people might use it a lot and really be frustrated not to have it. Largely the same function can be had via Chromecast, but I believe it gives Google & developers more control over blocking the casting certain apps, which have licensing issues with being projected on a large screen. My assumption is that Miracast function has been dropped/blocked due to these licensing issues.
    Ry, Sailindawg, benjamminh and 1 others like this.
    10-06-2016 02:05 PM
    Miracast was a standard that never got support. Samsung kind of used it, but it was laggy. Google came out with Chromecast & its a much better device / standard than Miracast. Is CC perfect, no but it does what it does real well.
    I have nothing against CC. However Mirrorcast is easy better. Mirrorcast worked flawlessly for me. I have a Sharp Aquos Smart TV. Mirrorcast was the easiest way to send movies/pictures or anything else from my phone directly to my HDTV in a split second. No changing inputs, or buying adapters or chrome sticks. It also worked with my Roku. This is a MAJOR step backwards. I will be disposing of this Moto Z and getting an HTC 10 or an LG G5. It's too bad OnePlus doesn't make CDMA/Verizon phones.
    01-28-2017 09:24 PM
    I have nothing against CC. However Mirrorcast is easy better. Mirrorcast worked flawlessly for me. I have a Sharp Aquos Smart TV. Mirrorcast was the easiest way to send movies/pictures or anything else from my phone directly to my HDTV in a split second. No changing inputs, or buying adapters or chrome sticks. It also worked with my Roku. This is a MAJOR step backwards. I will be disposing of this Moto Z and getting an HTC 10 or an LG G5. It's too bad OnePlus doesn't make CDMA/Verizon phones.
    Did you buy a Moto Z Play or Moto Z Play Droid because this feature was advertised?
    01-28-2017 09:56 PM
    Oh I see people waking up, missing that lovely Feature.

I use my old LG Flex 2 to stream content flawlessly to my TVs.

It's technically miles ahead of my z play, even has IR Blaster and FM Radio lol
    01-29-2017 04:38 AM
    Chromecast is using data , mirror my screen just on my TV , no data needed
    01-29-2017 04:40 AM
    Oh I see people waking up, missing that lovely Feature.

I use my old LG Flex 2 to stream content flawlessly to my TVs.

It's technically miles ahead of my z play, even has IR Blaster and FM Radio lol
    Might as well return the Moto Z Play.
    01-29-2017 10:40 AM
    Did you buy a Moto Z Play or Moto Z Play Droid because this feature was advertised?
    01-29-2017 10:40 AM
    This really isn't accurate. Chromecast is a much better protocol than Miracast. All that Miracast does is mirror your phone to your television. My experience is that it doesn't do this very well with the audio often out of sync with the video and buffering is a common problem. Chromecast works like Apple Air-Play where the video transfers from your phone and plays directly on your television. Because you are not using mirroring the quality is excellent and you can do other things on your phone while watching the video. This process also uses very little battery life. You can actually put your phone in sleep mode while you are watching the video as long as your not streaming a video that is on your phone. You also have the option to use mirroring like with Miracast for programs that don't support Chromecast directly.

For people that don't own a Chromecast device I understand their frustration and anger about the non-support of Miracast. There is no reason the MOTO Z can't support both protocols. Even if the MOTO Z supported Miracast, I still think it is worth the $25-$35 investment to buy a Chromecast because of its superior picture quality.
    01-29-2017 11:36 AM
    why me buy Chromecast?

Moto should send me one, I was buying this device because their advertising as miracast able , did even read the manual before buying.
    01-29-2017 05:17 PM
    If you root the device apparently it is extremely easy to enable Miracast by editing the build.prop file. I bet the decision has something to do with Motorola having to pay a licensing fee to use it.
    01-29-2017 08:57 PM
    why me buy Chromecast?

Moto should send me one, I was buying this device because their advertising as miracast able , did even read the manual before buying.
    Return it and tell them lack of Miracast is why you are returning it.
    jdfry15 likes this.
    01-29-2017 11:53 PM
    I'd love to see this advertising that heralded Miracast as an important feature. I do agree they shouldn't have it in the manual. How many current phones, put out in the last year, support it? Sounds like that's the phones they should be looking for.
    01-30-2017 07:16 AM
    Return it and tell them lack of Miracast is why you are returning it.
    Nope because pros outweigh cons.

No phone is perfect, but the play is close, very close.
    01-30-2017 05:56 PM
38 12