01-30-2017 05:56 PM
38 12
tools
    * Miracast / INTEL Wireless Display

I don't understand, people don't share their screens on TV's ?

i do regularly, I'm missing that standard android feature so much on my Z
    Tommy5725 likes this.
    10-05-2016 12:01 AM
    I know you're disappointed, but you've complained about this in several Z Play threads here now. We get it. But there's nothing we can do. If it's bothering you so much, you can always hop to another phone.

Prior to seeing your posts though, I've never heard of Miracast.
    Ry and azdmelani like this.
    10-05-2016 09:01 AM
    * Miracast / INTEL Wireless Display

i do regularly, I'm missing that standard android feature so much on my Z
    I sometimes use my phone to mirror YouTube videos to my Smart TV's YouTube app. It's easier to search for videos using my phone. And it's easier to fast forward and rewind with my phone than it is with the app on my TV. Can you confirm if this will work with the Play Z?

I'm thinking it might work since YouTube is owned by Google.
    10-05-2016 11:12 AM
    I sometimes use my phone to mirror YouTube videos to my Smart TV's YouTube app. It's easier to search for videos using my phone. And it's easier to fast forward and rewind with my phone than it is with the app on my TV. Can you confirm if this will work with the Play Z?

I'm thinking it might work since YouTube is owned by Google.
    Maybe you mean the Cast option? That is present.
    10-05-2016 11:13 AM
    Maybe you mean the Cast option? That is present.
    Isn't that what is being discussed? Or is there a Miracast function AND a Cast function? still no uproar bec Moto removed Mircast-dunno-smiley-face.gif
    10-05-2016 11:27 AM
    Isn't that what is being discussed? Or is there a Miracast function AND a Cast function? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dunno-smiley-face.gif 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.1 KB 
ID:	241515
    Not sure but Miracast is something else I would wager.
    10-05-2016 11:29 AM
    Miracast was a standard that never got support. Samsung kind of used it, but it was laggy. Google came out with Chromecast & its a much better device / standard than Miracast. Is CC perfect, no but it does what it does real well. The TV manufacturers didn't help Miracast by coming out work their versions that didn't work as well either.

Forget Miracast, get a chromecast. CC is still supported.
    10-05-2016 11:55 AM
    Miracast is the the facto standard for full screensharing with audio and baked into the android OS since early Android ICS days.

it's definatly not working

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-Z-...g/td-p/3385031

https://m.reddit.com/r/Moto_Z/commen...g_not_working/
    10-05-2016 12:22 PM
    I don't use it so no uproar from me. Good luck. Maybe this isn't the phone for you.
    azdmelani and On2Vegas like this.
    10-05-2016 12:25 PM
    Nope.
    10-05-2016 12:37 PM
    Nope.
    They do, but mostly with Chromecast.
    Sailindawg and On2Vegas like this.
    10-05-2016 12:48 PM
    They do, but mostly with Chromecast.
    I don't share my screen. I use Google Cast to cast content.
    10-05-2016 12:49 PM
    chromecast is not the same.

Miracast doesn't use any data, it's simply (full-) screensharing with audio.

Moto should not advertise miracast in their Z manuals, when it's not available.
    10-05-2016 02:04 PM
    chromecast is not the same.

Miracast doesn't use any data, it's simply (full-) screensharing with audio.

Moto should not advertise miracast in their Z manuals, when it's not available.
    Yup. They should recall the manual.
    10-05-2016 02:07 PM
    Yup. They should recall the manual.
    or just re-activate miracast in next OS update.
    10-05-2016 04:33 PM
    or just re-activate miracast in next OS update.
    Updating the manual is way easier.
    10-05-2016 05:15 PM
    Guys, the days of ICS are over. Yes, Miracast was part of ICS, but we are up to android OS 7. I think one can say that Miracast is no longer supported by Google & is effectively dead. There are far more efficient ways of streaming content to a TV.

MHL seemed to be another standard that few phones support. I don't think there is a single new phone that supports MHL.

I have been trying to find a non-network way of streaming content from 2014 Moto X and Samsung Active 6 to a TV and found the only standard supported is a network method called Chromecast. Stinks if there is no cable Internet or mobile data because Chromecast won't work until it checks in with Google.
    Soundtallica likes this.
    10-06-2016 06:30 AM
    Read here.

No USB C to HDMI support either. They want you to buy the projector mod. Nice, i guess, but the direct connection standards for cell phones used in the recent past have been outside of the HDCP standard for devices. It seems it all comes down to DRM. I can't think of a single cell phone that complied with the HDCP standard for streaming content.
    10-06-2016 06:49 AM
    Another good read here regarding the failure of Miracast as a standard. This article was written in 2013.
    10-06-2016 07:15 AM
    yeah they want you to sell the projector, I get that, but is mlb, nhl, nfl, sky go streaming even working with it?

don't think so, maybe blocked " licence problems" and then?
    10-06-2016 08:04 AM
    and I don't think it's dead , new smartphone offerings from LG etc still support screen sharing perfectly fine , same nearly all new TV's.

Even Levono Moto advertise it for their current Flagship.

It's in their manual, it's inside the settings of the phone, but it's without any function.

And that's a No-Go, you can't fool your customers like that.
    10-06-2016 08:11 AM
    It seems that Google has moved "cast your device" to inside the Chromecast app (now called Google Cast, soon to be simply Home, go figure). I missed that one, but i use CC mostly on my home network. I have a cottage that has no cable internet. With the cast feature of the CC app, one can supposedly stream saved content from your device directly to the tv through the CC stick without an Internet connection. Google seems to moved the cast your device feature to inside the CC app sometime ago. I have yet to try it.

So, no need for moto to support Miracast or any other standard when Google has it covered with the CC stick & their supporting app.
    10-06-2016 08:19 AM
    and I don't think it's dead , new smartphone offerings from LG etc still support screen sharing perfectly fine , same nearly all new TV's.

It's in their manual, it's inside the settings of the phone, but it's without any function.

It shows how fragmented Miracast support is. It's not even called Miracast by these companies that "implement" it. Read the articles in my earlier posts.

That is one problem with Android, fragmentation. Also, Google drops support of initiatives all the time. Sometimes they replace it with something good. They went from Google TV devices to Chromecast. I think CC is a better solution that seems to be more widely accepted.
    10-06-2016 08:21 AM
    How about a "bottom line" for those of us that don't know these applications by name? For example:

1. With the Z Play will I be able to see photos stored on my phone on my smart TV?

2. Will I be able to control YouTube with my phone and see the content on my smart TV?

Put another way, specifically what functionality is lost on the Z Play with the removal of Miracast? What were you doing with your previous phone that you can no longer do with Z Play?
    10-06-2016 08:41 AM

Is there ad copy that calls Miracast out or is just the user manual?
    10-06-2016 11:17 AM
38 12