Bands on GSM unlocked version?

ratpakk2

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I was thinking about using this phone on ATT go phone and was wondering if it had support for bands 29 and 30? Can't seem to find a clear answer online.

ratpakk2

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
It also has no band 12 support. That means no 700 mhz for either GSM carrier. Band 17 is the main lte band for att( this is what my phone at home connects to). The GSM unlocked version should not be recommended to any USA consumer. The review really should have mentioned this. I was very close to buying this phone until I looked into the bands.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
It also has no band 12 support. That means no 700 mhz for either GSM carrier. Band 17 is the main lte band for att( this is what my phone at home connects to). The GSM unlocked version should not be recommended to any USA consumer. The review really should have mentioned this. I was very close to buying this phone until I looked into the bands.
I just bought it and I'm on metro right now. Now I'm worried, will I not be able to use this phone to its full potential? What carriers am I screwed with now?

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...m%2Fus%2Fcarrier-compatibility&token=GB4ZqX-B

So I checked and thank god I'm good. But definitely disappointed for a unlocked phone to not be supported on some other carriers because of there bands. I never even thought to check that out as reviews never even mention it. Definitely will be more cautious on my next phone purchase in a few years depending on which carrier I am on at that time.

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm hearing conflicting reports. A T-Mobile website said they got confirmation from Moto that the Z Play had band 12 support, motos website doesn't specify which bands. All very confusing. On frequency checker they have 3 models, one being the CDMA, second being dual sim with very limited US bands, and a third that has most all the bands for US bands except band 30 for Att.

I was really excited for this phone and if I can't get an unlocked version working on Att as good as my old phone I'll be pissed. Makes no sense to sell a unlocked phone in the US that only really works on Tmo.

ratpakk2

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I really hope this is the case. Moto's website doesn't list band 12 or 17 (you have to click a little + symbol in the product descripton to view full specs). I have never heard of a gsm phone not having band 17, so I really hope it is just a typo on Moto's part.

From Moto website:

Network Bands (by model)
CDMA (850, 1900MHz)
GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+ (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
4G LTE (B2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 13)

vbsoulpole

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
It has been confirmed both by T-Mobile and a Motorola rep in their forums that the phone has band 12 and will be certified for VoLTE. No wifi calling though(which means no free texting/messaging in flight).

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
It has been confirmed both by T-Mobile and a Motorola rep in their forums that the phone has band 12 and will be certified for VoLTE. No wifi calling though(which means no free texting/messaging in flight).
I doubt it. Here is the support chat I just had at Moto's site.

ba0c747ea035b55b1eab44d72d39667f.jpg

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I really hope this is the case. Moto's website doesn't list band 12 or 17 (you have to click a little + symbol in the product descripton to view full specs). I have never heard of a gsm phone not having band 17, so I really hope it is just a typo on Moto's part.

From Moto website:

Network Bands (by model)
CDMA (850, 1900MHz)
GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+ (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
4G LTE (B2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 13)

I think that they didn't update the website for the unlocked one... Those specs are for the Verizon one

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I think that they didn't update the website for the unlocked one... Those specs are for the Verizon one
But I asked the lady and told her it's for the unlocked one, not Verizon but I hope you're right. Even the GSMArena has those same specs but like you said, maybe it's Verizon

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Okay so I checked the Verizon website and BOOM, it IS those

"Network
CDMA: 850, 1900MHzGSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)UMTS/HSPA+ (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)4G LTE (B2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 13)"

So maybe all these sites just haven't listed the new network bands for the unlocked and just using the info for Verizon...

vbsoulpole

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, all that dude did was go to the product page and copy/paste. TMoNews reached out to Moto directly and were told that both the Z and Z Play GSM would have Band 12. If you go into the Motoroloa forums, a Moto employee says he believes the product page is wrong and that Band 12 is supported (and VoLTE). Though we'll have to get lucky and hope T-Mobile certifies it for WiFi calling.

Also FrequencyCheck.com will show Band 12 on the device. I would trust all 3 sources over random chat rep 99 times out of 100.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, all that dude did was go to the product page and copy/paste. TMoNews reached out to Moto directly and were told that both the Z and Z Play GSM would have Band 12. If you go into the Motoroloa forums, a Moto employee says he believes the product page is wrong and that Band 12 is supported (and VoLTE). Though we'll have to get lucky and hope T-Mobile certifies it for WiFi calling.

Also FrequencyCheck.com will show Band 12 on the device. I would trust all 3 sources over random chat rep 99 times out of 100.
You're so right. I think they just haven't listed the unlocked version specs. Just using the Verizon ones cause it's easier.

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Okay so I checked the Verizon website and BOOM, it IS those

"Network
CDMA: 850, 1900MHzGSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)UMTS/HSPA+ (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)4G LTE (B2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 13)"

So maybe all these sites just haven't listed the new network bands for the unlocked and just using the info for Verizon...

Yeah, those are definitely the bands for Verizon editions. A few other Verizon exclusive phones have those exact same bands. Definitely a typo in the website.

ratpakk2

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
When someone actually gets their hand on the unlocked GSM phone can they take a picture of the box to confirm? Best buy is now listing band 12, but Moto website still isnt.

dby2011

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
You have to wonder if those bands are present on the Verizon phones too and are purposely ommitted. Verizon probably doesn't want you to know they support them, especially band 12 which makes T-mobile a lot more competitive to Verizon.

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
You have to wonder if those bands are present on the Verizon phones too and are purposely ommitted. Verizon probably doesn't want you to know they support them, especially band 12 which makes T-mobile a lot more competitive to Verizon.

The missing bands are definitely there but disabled. The Verizon version and unlocked version have the exact same hardware, exact same SOC (which governs the available bands) except for the software.

I'd normally be pissed about this, but I pieced together two deals that enabled me to get mine for free from Verizon and you can't beat free. Also it still has most of T-Mobile's and AT&T's bands so it'll at least work 90% to hold me over temporarily if I decide to switch carriers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret