10-21-2016 10:22 AM
31 12
tools
    It is kind of dumb that the phones do not come with a Type-C cable.

Where do you guys buy yours? ebay? amazon?

Not a fan of the dedicated cable to the charger.
    spwexler and pkguy323 like this.
    10-15-2016 09:59 PM
    i had usb c cable. mine is from amazon.
    10-15-2016 10:06 PM
    It is kind of dumb that the phones do not come with a Type-C cable.

Where do you guys buy yours? ebay? amazon?

Not a fan of the dedicated cable to the charger.
    I have these:

CHOETECH USB-C to USB-C Cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017W2RWEK...cUvbUpU5496292

USB C Cable, CHOETECH 3.3ft(1m) Hi-speed USB Type C Cable (USB-C to USB-A) with 56k Resistor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0176BSAWU...cUvbUpU5496292

I don't mind that there's no USB cable in the box. I have no need to plug this phone into a computer.
    marcus.plans likes this.
    10-15-2016 10:07 PM
    I'd go amazon, and check reviews first.

I'm also not a fan of the built-in cable with the charger, but I suspect it's because the included chargers put out more than standard current, so regular USB-C cables might not be able to handle it, which could result in damaged cables or devices. I haven't looked at the Z Play or regular Z chargers, but my Z Force charger puts out 5V/5+A, while the highest aftermarket charger I've found puts out 5V/3A.
    10-15-2016 11:38 PM
    I'd go amazon, and check reviews first.

I'm also not a fan of the built-in cable with the charger, but I suspect it's because the included chargers put out more than standard current, so regular USB-C cables might not be able to handle it, which could result in damaged cables or devices. I haven't looked at the Z Play or regular Z chargers, but my Z Force charger puts out 5V/5+A, while the highest aftermarket charger I've found puts out 5V/3A.
    My wife just got the Z Play and I too was not a fan of the built in charger cable but I think you are exactly right. Motorola doesn't want you to use some wimpy cable that can't handle the current.

I just got this quick car charger for her Z Play and the Type C cable that came with it is monstrous!

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Quick-Charge-3...158?nav=SEARCH
    10-16-2016 06:02 AM
    Don't skimp on getting a proper branded cable. Unlike previous USB cables, with USB-C it's very easy to fry your device.

Watch Out: How to Buy a USB Type-C Cable That Won’t Damage Your Devices

Benson Leung has tested a host of cables and identified 'safe' ones - even blowing up his Chromebook so that we don't make the same mistake!

There's a good video by Nathan K on his channel which explains it better.
    10-16-2016 06:39 AM
    Don't skimp on getting a proper branded cable. Unlike previous USB cables, with USB-C it's very easy to fry your device.

Watch Out: How to Buy a USB Type-C Cable That Won’t Damage Your Devices

Benson Leung has tested a host of cables and identified 'safe' ones - even blowing up his Chromebook so that we don't make the same mistake!

There's a good video by Nathan K on his channel which explains it better.
    Great info. And the car charger I got the wife is a Tronsmart too. :-)
    NX1977 likes this.
    10-16-2016 08:30 AM
    It's the biggest scary thing about Type C for me.

Sadly in the UK most of the cables tested by Benson aren't available. So I've stuck with Belkin. His experience with that Anker cable has put me off them.

Also hearing mixed advice on micro USB adaptors. Benson tested the Anker one as safe, but I've read a few horror stories of using any adaptor can lead to either your device being given too much power, or trying to pull too much power from the source frying your charger/computer port etc.

OTG cables don't seem to work through an adaptor, which means needing to buy a new type C OTG cable.
    10-16-2016 08:53 AM

I don't mind that there's no USB cable in the box. I have no need to plug this phone into a computer.
    The point isn't to plug it into a computer. It's so that you can use other chargers.
    10-16-2016 01:15 PM
    The point isn't to plug it into a computer. It's so that you can use other chargers.
    With Benson Lueng and Nathan K. needing to tell us which cables to use right now, I'm not a fan of mixing and matching USB-C power adapters and cables.
    10-16-2016 02:34 PM
    no, only use original cable.

just in case i'm losing it:

which one is 100℅ safe for Z Play?
    10-16-2016 04:27 PM
    Wait so does the Moto Z Play come with its own USB type-C cable in the box?
    10-17-2016 06:56 PM
    Wait so does the Moto Z Play come with its own USB type-C cable in the box?
    No. The charger is one piece.
    benjamminh likes this.
    10-17-2016 08:32 PM
    Crap. That sucks. Does moto have an official charger for their phones we can buy then or I have to now choose one from that list provided above? How stupid that they don't include a charger for this phone.
    10-17-2016 09:38 PM
    Crap. That sucks. Does moto have an official charger for their phones we can buy then or I have to now choose one from that list provided above? How stupid that they don't include a charger for this phone.
    The Verizon version comes with a charger. I would think they all would.
    10-17-2016 09:47 PM
    It comes with a charger.

It doesn't come with a separate USB cable.
    10-17-2016 09:50 PM
    Ooooh okay. I was a little worried lmfao. appreciate it.

Yeah I will just buy a c to regular USB cord for my laptop in case I ever need to do anything with that.

Now for car charger, I see Moto has 2 official ones listed on their site. One is 15 VPA and the other is 25 VPA. Which is the best for Moto Z Play? I know these aren't on that safe list listed above but figured there good anyway because there for the Moto's.
    10-17-2016 09:57 PM
    Ooooh okay. I was a little worried lmfao. appreciate it.

Yeah I will just buy a c to regular USB cord for my laptop in case I ever need to do anything with that.

Now for car charger, I see Moto has 2 official ones listed on their site. One is 15 VPA and the other is 25 VPA. Which is the best for Moto Z Play? I know these aren't on that safe list listed above but figured there good anyway because there for the Moto's.
    I think those are USB A chargers. The Moto Zs don't use Qualcomm Quick Charge, which is what the older Moto Xs used for TurboPower Charging.

For the Moto Zs, you'll need a minimum 5V/3A charger using C to C to trigger TurboPower Charging.
    10-17-2016 10:09 PM
    I'm coming from a MXPE, and had several quick chargers. Initially purchases aukey micro USB to USB type c adapters, but no quick charging. Bought aukey USB type c cables that are supposed to support quick charging, but don't. I also had a moto quick charging adapter for my vehicle, but also won't quick charge with USB type c cables that are supposed to support quick charging. If anyone has successfully used USB type c cables that will quick charge properly, please provide a link. Thanks
    10-19-2016 02:07 PM
    I'm coming from a MXPE, and had several quick chargers. Initially purchases aukey micro USB to USB type c adapters, but no quick charging. Bought aukey USB type c cables that are supposed to support quick charging, but don't. I also had a moto quick charging adapter for my vehicle, but also won't quick charge with USB type c cables that are supposed to support quick charging. If anyone has successfully used USB type c cables that will quick charge properly, please provide a link. Thanks
    You need more than just a cable for Turbo Charging.

You need a 5V/3A charger minimum for the Moto Z. And you can only get this with USB-C.
    10-19-2016 02:12 PM
    I have the quick charging ac plugs and used them successfully with my MXPE.
    10-19-2016 02:19 PM
    I have the quick charging ac plugs and used them successfully with my MXPE.
    But the Moto Z doesn't use Qualcomm Quick Charge.
    10-19-2016 02:25 PM
    What does it use?
    10-19-2016 02:41 PM
    What does it use?
    Like already said, it uses TURBO CHARGE not quick charge.
    10-19-2016 02:43 PM
    Well, when I search for turbo chargers on Amazon what comes up is Qualcomm quick charging adapters and chargers. If you have a link to a product usb type c cable and the associated car or home turbo charger, I'd appreciate it.
    10-19-2016 02:57 PM
31 12