New Moto Z Play Owner Questions!

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I do think the notification volume is a little low. It's not a huge problem for me, I always have my Huawei watch on. It just depends what king of environment you you in most of the time. If you work in an office environment you'll be fine. If your working at construction sites all day you won't hear any notifications.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Same It seems like the unlocked version font have the proper widget.
Yeah. I'm realizing that. Watching videos of reviews and such and they all have that specific clock widget. But I noticed it's all the Verizon version and not the unlocked. Not by any means a killer but wish I had that widget because I do like that one showing the battery level color.

checkmate

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I had a Nexus 5. Was definitely time to upgrade lol. I absolutely love this phone. As for the sounds, I only noticed some notification sounds kind of low. But you know I had that issue on my Nexus 5 and you know what? It's actually part of the August Android security update. Google fixed it in the October update. So since the Moto play has the August update, I assume it's the same issue. I'm hoping once we all get Android 7 soon, we will get the October security update and it will be fixed.
Hi Allen, I'm currently on a Nexus 5 and thinking of replacing it soon (still love the Nexus but battery life is not great these days). Could you give a quick comparison of the benefits you've noticed after moving to the Z Play? And any downsides too? Thanks in advance.

Vickysagar

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
I have 2 stupid questions one is how to disable that OK SAY GOOGLE option from home screen and second how to set a song ringtone as I didn't find a option thanks...

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi Allen, I'm currently on a Nexus 5 and thinking of replacing it soon (still love the Nexus but battery life is not great these days). Could you give a quick comparison of the benefits you've noticed after moving to the Z Play? And any downsides too? Thanks in advance.
I'm google through and through and I'm so shocked on this phone. I'm now on day 4 with Only a 30 min charge yesterday before work. I'm so happy I got this phone because it handles everything and more that a flagship 820 chipset can do. You have 0 lag and slow downs and it's extremely fluent. The new Google Pixel just didn't cut it for me with prices so I jumped. And I'm so thankful I did. Definitely do it bro. You won't regret it. I got the unlocked GSM because I like going everywhere I want and also no bloatware from Verizon and such.

Eric Xu1

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I had the Nexus 5x. Better battery life, animation and performance are better, and better white balance and focus in the camera. Design and build quality is a huge improvement compared to the plastic of the Nexus. I don't see any downsides with my usage; but this phone is 5.5 inches; which is larger than the Nexus 5... if you like smaller phones.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm google through and through and I'm so shocked on this phone. I'm now on day 4 with Only a 30 min charge yesterday before work. I'm so happy I got this phone because it handles everything and more that a flagship 820 chipset can do. You have 0 lag and slow downs and it's extremely fluent. The new Google Pixel just didn't cut it for me with prices so I jumped. And I'm so thankful I did. Definitely do it bro. You won't regret it. I got the unlocked GSM because I like going everywhere I want and also no bloatware from Verizon and such.

I agree with everything you said. I have the play and the pixel. I really like the software on the pixel but the play will get n update soon. I took my play and pixel to the pumpkin patch with with family to test out pics. I thought the pics looked like crap on the play until I pulled them up on my computer and they looked much better. The play is not really any slower in day to day use. I don't game so I can t comment on that but opening apps and watching YouTube the play is right there. The only thing that is a big difference is the screen. I think the screen on the pixel is really good. Right there with the note 7. Is that worth $500 more, probably not.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah once the 7 update happens, the Play will definitely be better. And it's the same here with pictures. They are so good. I see the quality so much more once there posted online and such. I just absolutely love this phone. And like I said before, my main gripe was battery and this phone by far exceeds that and more. Plus I even have the Moto mod back charger thing but haven't even needed it. I love it.

checkmate

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. It will be unlocked GSM for me as I'm in the UK.

How does the phone feel in the hand compared to the Nexus 5? Size-wise and weight-wise?

Also I was considering the Incipio mod for the wireless charging - how does the phone feel with that attached?

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. It will be unlocked GSM for me as I'm in the UK.

How does the phone feel in the hand compared to the Nexus 5? Size-wise and weight-wise?

Also I was considering the Incipio mod for the wireless charging - how does the phone feel with that attached?

The Z Play is a lot bigger than the Nexus 5. It's not an easy phone to use with one hand. But that's the trade-off for a bigger screen.

If your goal is to get through a full day no matter what, you can do it with the Z Play without the battery mod. Easily. You couldn't kill this phone in a single day if you tried.

That said, to answer your question, the battery mod doesn't make the phone too big or thick, but it adds a lot of weight.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
If your goal is to get through a full day no matter what, you can do it with the Z Play without the battery mod. Easily. You couldn't kill this phone in a single day if you tried.

Sure you could. No way you could play Pokemon Go for 14 hours straight without recharge or battery mod.

But for more normal levels of "heavy" use, yeah, a day should be very doable. Very few people's use case wouldn't make it through a day.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Sure you could. No way you could play Pokemon Go for 14 hours straight without recharge or battery mod.

But for more normal levels of "heavy" use, yeah, a day should be very doable. Very few people's use case wouldn't make it through a day.

I suppose, though I don't know who could play Pokémon for 14 straight hours. The point was obviously that the battery mod isn't needed on the Z Play.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I suppose, though I don't know who could play Pokémon for 14 straight hours. The point was obviously that the battery mod isn't needed on the Z Play.
I totally agree. I have the mod and I absolutely see no point in using it yet. It will be for when I'm traveling on vacations lol. This phone is absolutely incredible and unbelievable on battery life. What I always wanted which I thought never existed, does in this phone. And here I thought I would never leave the Google Nexus/Pixel brand. Thank God for their high pricing this year which led me to do much research.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I suppose, though I don't know who could play Pokémon for 14 straight hours.

Someone trying to run down the battery, I guess. lol I was just responding to the "if you tried" part of what you said. If you try, you can, but you'd have to try hard! 😀

checkmate

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
The other reason I was considering the Incipio Mod was for the wireless charging. Anyone heard of any back plates with just QI charging but no battery?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01