Moto Voice on Z play vs X (2014)

Free_Sparrow

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi,
I just swapped from my Moto X 2nd Gen to the Moto Z Play and I already love this phone even looking back to my great Moto X.
One thing I don't get yet, is Moto Voice on the Z different from the X?
When I called my Moto X, Moto Voice always came up with a blue coloured background and directly answered my questions, made a call, took a photo, etc.
Now on the Z Play, it just starts Google, if I make a call, it does call the person, but I have manually switch the external speaker on.
If the phone is locked, I have to unlock it by hand, on the Moto X I was able to speak the unlock code to unlock it.
Is this Moto Voice on the Z Play a "light version"?
I already switched off "OK Google" because then it didn't work correctly.

Thanks,
Mike

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
I just swapped from my Moto X 2nd Gen to the Moto Z Play and I already love this phone even looking back to my great Moto X.
One thing I don't get yet, is Moto Voice on the Z different from the X?
When I called my Moto X, Moto Voice always came up with a blue coloured background and directly answered my questions, made a call, took a photo, etc.
Now on the Z Play, it just starts Google, if I make a call, it does call the person, but I have manually switch the external speaker on.
If the phone is locked, I have to unlock it by hand, on the Moto X I was able to speak the unlock code to unlock it.
Is this Moto Voice on the Z Play a "light version"?
I already switched off "OK Google" because then it didn't work correctly.

Thanks,
Mike

As Google Voice Search gained more features, Moto Voice "lost" features.

Free_Sparrow

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
I honestly doubt that. Google Assistant (via Voice) feels like it will be exclusive to the Pixel.

For now, I agree (for the sake of having a reason for the Pixel price or whatever) but I really can't imagine Google will make this essential function Pixel only. I can imagine, Google willpropably give certain restrictions, as it has to be pure Google and not Samsoogle Assistant. On the Moto Z Play side, what an amazing device, faster than my Moto X and the battery (!) after 10 hours working day still at 82% :)

Edit: Anybody knows how to activate speaker automatically when making a call over Moto Voice? (Driving mode)