Sudden High Battery Drain

Bitterman

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
My wife got the Z Play just over a month ago. Battery life has been awesome until about 3 days ago. This morning she went from 100% to 87% in just two hours with barely any use. She doesn't have a lot of apps installed and didn't install anything recently. We just did the latest security update last night but the problem started before then.

I installed GSam this morning so I'll see what it says tonight. Will try clearing the cache partition again tonight as well.

Odd thing is my Turbo started acting sluggish and using more battery right about when her phone started acting up. I wonder if Google put out a bad update?

Anybody else seeing a sudden change in battery life?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Sometimes it's quite difficult being sure what's causing the drain. If you can't see anything unusual on your battery stats you could try this. Go to settings - accounts - Google - select account and see if there's something wrong there. Sometimes some sync processes can get stuck (arrows on a circle). Repeat this process for the different accounts/apps. If you find something unusual disable the sync temporarily for that process and see if the drain stops.

Recently I had a similar weird drain and the problem was the Calendar sync.

Bitterman

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Update - got home and checked GSam on the wife's phone. 73% of the battery was used on "wifi active". Sure enough data was flowing constantly. Checked data usage and found a system app "DT Ignite" had downloaded 136 gigs of God knows what over the last couple days. Disabled the app and data stopped flowing instantly. Seems the app is used to download bloat among other things, and I read that it caused problems on the S7 and some HTC phones too.

Just something to be aware of in case you see high battery drain or crazy data usage.

Last edited:

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
My issue is with WiFi always being ahead of the screen in battery drain in the battery stats. However, my battery life is still stellar. Anybody else have this problem?

NX1977

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
Seems it's Verizon loading on their handsets.

Not as stock as you think ;-)

We don't have them in the UK, but I don't read good things about them regularly on forums

heath patrick

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
My issue is with WiFi always being ahead of the screen in battery drain in the battery stats. However, my battery life is still stellar. Anybody else have this problem?

Go into your settings then go to location tap the 3 dots in the upper right corner then tap on scanning and turn off the 2 choices.

Droid7

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I believe this may be the Android 6 wakelock bug. The phone simply never sleeps and never goes into Doze mode. I had the Z Play just about a week and it it always drained about 30% of the battery overnight. I did alot of diagnotistics but could not find any apps that were draining the battery. Verizon said it was my setup and there is nothing wrong with the battery and I am getting normal life out of it. I went through alot with VZ to get them to exchange the phone under their 14 day worry free return policy because they said the phone was not defective. I was finally able to get them to exchange the phone for a new one. I am happy to report the phone lost just 1% of battery overnight instead of the 30% from the previous model. I whiped the cache, disabled backups, and did 3 factory resets, etc... nothing fixes this bug that I can tell and what I read. The battery drain is not normal and if you can't exchange the phone, then perhaps when Nougat comes the phone will behave properly.

Bitterman

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
In our case the wife's phone seems back to normal after disabling DT Ignite. She came home from work yesterday with about 73% battery left, which is about what she had been getting.

Poppy59

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
I noticed an adnormal drain today, according to GSam it was antutu, even though I haven't used the app for ages!
I have now de installed antutu, and all is well again... thank God for gsam 👍

NX1977

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
I noticed an adnormal drain today, according to GSam it was antutu, even though I haven't used the app for ages!
I have now de installed antutu, and all is well again... thank God for gsam 👍

It is a godsend. It seems to show different results to Android helping identify the real battery drain culprits.

Why are the stock android battery results so far out?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie