Hi, I've found that the headphone output of this phone, while good for some headphones, has too much noise for sensitive IEMs and not enough power for some less efficient headphones, so I'm looking into a portable DAC/Amp. I tried this one with a USB-C adapter:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FJSEAZ4

But it didn't work. I know the USB-C adapter works, as I've used it with a thumb drive, and I know the DAC works on other Android devices, but apparently compatibility isn't universal. So has anyone successfully tried a portable DAC with this phone?
    11-10-2016 09:39 AM
    No dice with the B u.O hi-fi DAC amp (G5)
    11-11-2016 06:17 AM
    I can confirm that the Fiio E18 works as long as you use USB Audio Play Pro for playback (did not work with Poweramp)
    11-15-2016 07:30 AM
    So I picked up a Pixel XL and boy, has it messed up my DAC setup.

For reference, I have both the Encore mDAC and mDSD.

My usual player of choice is Hiby, but I also have used UAPP. Hiby + mDSD + Billie Jean DSF file plays with no hiccups, but the UAPP driver with the mDSD has issues. According to the software dev, UAPP + iFi iDSD Micro + same DSF file has no issues. Anyway, I digress.

My previous phone of choice was the Nexus 5, running latest Kitkat, Lollipop and Marshmallow at different points in time. Excluding Kitkat, the mDAC played well with Android USB System Audio and UAPP, but not with Hiby. The mDSD played will with all 3. For Kitkat, there is no USB System Audio, but everything else holds true.

Jump to the Pixel and Nougat. Hiby no longer recognizes the mDSD or the mDAC. There is no popup screen. ES File Explorer still shows a USB device connected, but there's no familiar Hiby connection popup. The mDSD still works with Android USB System Audio, but that means no native DSD or DoP playback. The mDAC, surprisingly, doesn't even interface with Android USB System Audio. Go figure. Both still work with UAPP however, with the traditional UAPP popup, upon connection.

I hope Hiby fixes their USB DAC connection notifier for Nougat, otherwise, I'll have to deal with UAPP's DSD issues on certain tracks with my mDSD.
    12-05-2016 11:13 PM