Nougat please...

svknet

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
Its been couple of months now when I got Moto Z Play in India (unlocked).
But phone has never received any update (system or security) till now. My Phone displays 6.0.1 with August 2016 Patch.
I was hoping to see Nougat updated this month (Dec 2016).

huungryshark

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
You must spend more , for the Z , to get faster OS updates.

It's Levono Moto's flagship model.

Let them work out the M bugs first for the Play before switching to N.

Until we play owners get N , they worked out the bugs on the Z for us, it's not bad to be one step behind :)

I'm on July patch and won't update until I get a major official "Go".

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You must spend more , for the Z , to get faster OS updates.

It's Levono Moto's flagship model.

Let them work out the M bugs first for the Play before switching to N.

Until we play owners get N , they worked out the bugs on the Z for us, it's not bad to be one step behind :)

I'm on July patch and won't update until I get a major official "Go".

I'd expect a delay on a Z Play update if Motorola is going to address the Low Notification issue on Moto Z Droid and Moto Z Force Droid that some people are experiencing off-cycle.

Also - I'd expect the Moto Z Play Droid to be ahead of the US unlocked GSM Moto Z Play and other international variants of the Play.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
As far as I'm aware, yes. Same as international unlocked G4 variants are currently getting it 1st

The Moto Z Droid and Moto Z Force Droid got their Nougat updates in November (around November 21st).

The US unlocked GSM Moto Z still doesn't have the Nougat update. Canadian Moto Zs just started their rollout.

Looks like the Moto G4 recently got the Nougat updates in India (week of December 13th).

I don't think the US unlocked all-carrier G4s have it yet.

Just because it's an unlocked or international/non-US model doesn't guarantee that it will get updates first. It's what the OEM decides to work on.

marc3565

Dec 9, 2016
Visit site
The Moto Z Droid and Moto Z Force Droid got their Nougat updates in November (around November 21st).

The US unlocked GSM Moto Z still doesn't have the Nougat update. Canadian Moto Zs just started their rollout.

Looks like the Moto G4 recently got the Nougat updates in India (week of December 13th).

I don't think the US unlocked all-carrier G4s have it yet.

Just because it's an unlocked or international/non-US model doesn't guarantee that it will get updates first. It's what the OEM decides to work on.

I have the Moto Z Droid from Verizon and it's not on Nougat. It says the system is up to date..

brinox

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Also - I'd expect the Moto Z Play Droid to be ahead of the US unlocked GSM Moto Z Play and other international variants of the Play.

Tell that to all the original Droid Turbo 1 owners who just got Marshmallow in the beginning of December, while the Moto Maxx (international version) got it nearly 6 months prior. the Retail market/unlocked Moto Z models are simply in a different update path versus carrier-bound and RFP'ed models. Verizon is neck-deep in evaluating and deploying the OS updates in-tandem with Motorola/Lenovo software engineers, regardless of what the retail unlocked version is doing.

If you ask me, it seems Motorola directs its resources at what brings them the most revenue after Google announces or releases an updated Android version. This shouldn't surprise anyone though.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Tell that to all the original Droid Turbo 1 owners who just got Marshmallow in the beginning of December, while the Moto Maxx (international version) got it nearly 6 months prior. the Retail market/unlocked Moto Z models are simply in a different update path versus carrier-bound and RFP'ed models. Verizon is neck-deep in evaluating and deploying the OS updates in-tandem with Motorola/Lenovo software engineers, regardless of what the retail unlocked version is doing.

If you ask me, it seems Motorola directs its resources at what brings them the most revenue after Google announces or releases an updated Android version. This shouldn't surprise anyone though.

Gladly.

Moto Xs of that generation we're already ahead on the list when it came out. Verizon didn't push for them to get updated. The following year, that year's Moto X and the DROID TURBO 2 added to the list in terms of priority and again Verizon didn't push for them to get updates.

Still doesn't change the fact that the Verizon Moto Zs got updated before unlocked Moto Zs.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
No idea, regretting moving away from Necus/Pixel now. Well until I saw all the hardware bootloops they're suffering.
It's all the LG lol. I don't regret it at all. I f'n love my 4 days lasting battery life and just all around quick phone. I know this isn't going to update like the Pixel line but I know Motorola said we would get the update first usually before any other brands and I haven't seen anything yet.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
The Z Force came out in late-July. The Z Play was released around September 7 - approximately 6 weeks later. My Z Force got Nougat on November 22. If the Play gets it 6 weeks later, that would be sometime in early-January. Not saying I know anything, just a theory on when we can expect the update assuming no hiccups.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Everyone wanting 7.0. Just curious is most of you are on limited data plans or unlimited?

I have the Force and Play. Mainly use the Force but activate the Play for a few things here and there. My wife hated the play so she took an old phone I had sitting around.

Thoughts?

NX1977

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
Read something yesterday that Moto devices which do not get 7.0 by end of December will go straight to the 7.1.1 update instead.

Those already on 7.0 will then have to wait for the 7.1.1 update to come around.

So perhaps it's a blessing in disguise if we do not get 7.0

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm of the opinion that updates are delayed because Motorola is going to address the low notification issue some people are having with all Moto Zs.