Hi all. Somebody on the Lenovo forum has emailed some of the Lenovo head honcho's regarding the low notification issue not being addressed, and not long after received a call from a Lenovo representative. He was told that this was a deliberate feature introduced to stop people's hearing getting damaged due to the earpiece/speaker combo design that the phone has. They claimed that they MAYBE will look at doing something about it. I don't think anyone should hold their breath. Looks like all Moto Z owners are sh*t out of luck then, apart from using one of the suggested workarounds. Thanks Lenovo...
    12-06-2016 06:50 PM
    This post/thread specifically: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-Z-.../3501648#M2531
    12-06-2016 07:14 PM
    mine is july patch level :-)
    12-07-2016 12:06 PM
    mine is july patch level :-)
    Mine too. The unfortunate people that updated without knowing about the problem have been left in the lurch by Lenovo it would seem. There are ways to get around it, but it's crap that the people that updated have been left in this situation. It's also crap that the people who were aware of the problem and didn't update, now feel that they can never update their phone because they will then inherit the problem too. Lenovo made a great phone, but have still managed to find a way to leave a sour taste in people's mouths. Shame.
    12-08-2016 08:23 AM
    I don't see what the problem is here. If I were suffering this issue on my Z Play (which I'm not for some reason) I'd just create a custom notification tone. It'd be quiet for the first half a second to get rid of the delay before raising the volume, and then it would play the actual tone after that.
    12-08-2016 03:51 PM
    I don't see what the problem is here. If I were suffering this issue on my Z Play (which I'm not for some reason) I'd just create a custom notification tone. It'd be quiet for the first half a second to get rid of the delay before raising the volume, and then it would play the actual tone after that.
    Its notifications aswell, which tend to be short and so the whole sound is very quiet. But like i said, there's a few ways to get around the problem, it's not unassailable, so I get what you're saying.

The thing is, for me anyways, the utter contempt that Lenovo has shown it's customers regarding this issue. There's many people out there that, for whatever reason, haven't been able to, or don't have the knowledge of how to, get around the issue. They have been left with a phone that doesn't alert them to notifications for months and months now, and there has never been any official acknowledgement that the problem even exists, they've just been fobbed off or ignored. It's only now that somebody somewhere has FINALLY at least got someone from Lenovo/Motorola to actually admit in a private phone call that it exists and that it's actually DELIBERATE - that admission only happened because he emailed the CEO or whoever it was. That complete lack of support and lack of customer care is what gets me. People that don't know how to get around the problem have spent the last few months tearing their hair out, returning their phones, wondering when/if the problem will ever be patched etc. (doesn't look like it will be now). You, me, and a whole load of other phone geeks like us can solve this problem within five minutes, but it's the people that aren't able to do it that I feel sorry for because it's not their fault that they've been left with a phone that is severely handicapped, hence me posting this topic, because for those people this is very bad news. If you read the massive Lenovo forum topic regarding this issue you will see the evidence of the frustration from lots and lots of people.
    12-08-2016 06:35 PM
    Using the earpiece speaker as the ringer and speakerphone speaker is just wrong, and stupid design. It's my least favorite thing about my Moto Z Play.
    12-14-2016 02:13 PM
    A Motorola representative on the Lenovo forums has just announced that the low notification problem will be fixed with an update soon. I have to admit that I never thought that this would happen. For 4 months people have been complaining about this problem on the forum and nothing has been done. In the last 2 weeks people have started to email the Lenovo CEO's to complain, and now all of a sudden a fix is here. Just a coincidence? Hmmm. Anyways, it's being fixed so that's the main thing.
    12-19-2016 09:26 AM
    This is great to hear! Thank you for the post!
    12-19-2016 10:02 AM
    Here's the exact post: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-Z-.../3514410#M2795
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-19-2016 12:39 PM
    Nice!

Really thought I could never update my device again, staying on july security patch until next generation of devices comes out.

Disable Moto Update Services and wait with update , checking forum first about bugs , is the way to go!!

If you update always immediately your device could be screwed and you can't go back to previous security patch version, living with the bug until a fix comes out. If ever..
    12-20-2016 03:38 AM
    Nice!

Really thought I could never update my device again, staying on july security patch until next generation of devices comes out.

Disable Moto Update Services and wait with update , checking forum first about bugs , is the way to go!!

If you update always immediately your device could be screwed and you can't go back to previous security patch version, living with the bug until a fix comes out. If ever..
    I have the August update and don't have this issue, so it's wrong to say don't update. There are also people on July update with the issue.

But I've yet to see anyone affected answer that ALL 3 volume settings are set high.
    12-20-2016 02:03 PM