Has anyone fitted a qi wireless receiver to the back of a Moto z and then placed the Moto shell on to cover it? Just wondering if it will work or do the magnetic connectors and qi receiver stop the shell from connecting to the phone?
    01-06-2017 05:33 PM
    I have not done this but I was disappointed Motorola dropped the QI charger from this phone by itself. I don't want to buy the battery mod must to get QI wireless charging. It won't fit in my case with a battery mod attached.
    01-12-2017 05:17 PM
    I have not done this but I was disappointed Motorola dropped the QI charger from this phone by itself. I don't want to buy the battery mod must to get QI wireless charging. It won't fit in my case with a battery mod attached.
    Dropped from a previous Moto Z?
    01-15-2017 06:36 PM
    No. I had a droid mini before the Z Play. Moto assist was also way better than Android Auto.
    01-15-2017 06:38 PM
    Sure, I did. But you must remove original back as it contains magnets. My solution was to buy QI charger combo "Micro USB Type C Qi Wireless Charging Receiver Module + Launch Charger Pad Base" on eBay and on Amazon: "Moto Z Play Case, Cimo [Matte] Premium Slim Protective Cover for Motorola Moto Z Play Droid (2016) - Black". Installation was trivial. Works just fine. Finally no connecting cables. Charging pad is very light and easy to carry on a trip. As Moto Z Play has very good battery utilization, I use chager daily, but every other day would be just enough. Total cost was $9 for charger and $5 for back cover. There are drawbacks, though. Slow charging only (no complants from me) and usb port permanently covered. So far I like it and yes, it should be standard feature, not $50 add-on.
    spwexler and mobrules like this.
    01-19-2017 06:51 PM
    Sure, I did. But you must remove original back as it contains magnets. My solution was to buy QI charger combo "Micro USB Type C Qi Wireless Charging Receiver Module + Launch Charger Pad Base" on eBay and on Amazon: "Moto Z Play Case, Cimo [Matte] Premium Slim Protective Cover for Motorola Moto Z Play Droid (2016) - Black". Installation was trivial. Works just fine. Finally no connecting cables. Charging pad is very light and easy to carry on a trip. As Moto Z Play has very good battery utilization, I use chager daily, but every other day would be just enough. Total cost was $9 for charger and $5 for back cover. There are drawbacks, though. Slow charging only (no complants from me) and usb port permanently covered. So far I like it and yes, it should be standard feature, not $50 add-on.
    Jerry any way you could post some photos? I would love to see it.
    01-19-2017 09:59 PM
    Here are images - should be self explanatory.
    Final look (back).
    QI wireless receiver and Moto shell-dscn3929.jpg
    Separate back + installed "antenna"
    QI wireless receiver and Moto shell-dscn3930.jpg
    Installed "antenna" - close-up
    QI wireless receiver and Moto shell-dscn3931.jpg
    Front view on USB port with antenna
    QI wireless receiver and Moto shell-dscn3932.jpg
    Front view on USB port with antenna + back installed
    QI wireless receiver and Moto shell-dscn3933.jpg
    mobrules and kbz1960 like this.
    01-21-2017 05:39 PM
    For those who wish Qi charging was built in, I'm curious how you would make that work, considering it would need to work with Mods that cover the entire back of the phone, and often add considerable depth.

I do wish they offered a thin style shell with Qi built in.
    01-22-2017 06:46 PM
    why isn't there such a mod?

Easy to make and selling like sliced breads, i guess.

you really don't need a battery pack with the Z play, I am a heavy user and. 1.5 days no problemo.

Just wireless charging
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-23-2017 05:01 PM
    why isn't there such a mod?

Easy to make and selling like sliced breads, i guess.

you really don't need a battery pack with the Z play, I am a heavy user and. 1.5 days no problemo.

Just wireless charging
    There can be.

Go develop one.
    01-24-2017 06:03 PM