PLEASE EXCUSE TITLE, IT SHOULD READ MZP + AT&T LTE SERVICE

I have written numerous posts on this. I purchased an unlocked GSM MZP from Best Buy. I swapped my old AT&T sim from my LTE enabled 2014 Moto X to my new MZP, I had full LTE service for 3 weeks, then suddenly the LTE wireless service stopped, then it was degraded to H+ service.

Actions taken:

- new sim / phone reprovisioned - still no change

- called 2nd tier support, despite "actions" on their side, still only H+

- heard repeatedly from AT&T, well you didn't buy phone from us, there's no guarantee we will let it run at full speed

- Internet searches that show this problem, a pseudo solution is to have AT&T change IMEI on their side to the last working LTE device IMEI. Did that, only H+

- phone updated to Android 7.0, LTE service started again, only lasting 1 week.

- out of frustration, fired up 2014 moto x, put sim in to see LTE, hot swapped back to MZP, finally had LTE service again. Lasted about a week and a half. I had to reboot phone last night, after reboot, lost LTE & back on H+

I'm pretty steamed about this. Looking on AT&T's site, they now only sell iPhones or Samsung phones. Not like years past. I have no interest in either phone they sell.

How many people with this phone are seeing the same thing? If you are in US on AT&T, are you actually getting LTE service or H+.

I have used LTE Discovery app when I was on AT&T's LTE service and was using LTE bands 2, 5, 7 & 12. BTW, I'm in the Boston area.

This situation is pretty well documented on various Internet threads with previous Moto phones and other brands as well.

In speaking with AT&T second tier, they tell me that they see this device as LTE enabled & its shows in their logs as LTE enabled.

If you are on AT&T with unlocked MZP, let me know the following:

- on your AT&T account, how does the phone show up?

- what is your APN?

- did you have AT&T previously, what phone & did you reuse sim card

- if you had to intervene with AT&T, how did you solve this?
    04-06-2017 10:20 AM
    Sounds like you've done all the logical things you can do.

You can also try using the APN for LTE enabled tablets on ATT. It works just fine for phones, though im not sure doing so will solve your problem.

Additionally you could try switching between some of the different radio bands to see if one works better than the other (there is more than one band identifier for LTE...i.e., GSM, LTE/UTMS, etc.). This app allows you to do that manually.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...er.networkmode

FWIW I'm a little surprised LTE isn't better on my phone, too. I do get LTE service but it's not as strong signal-wise as it was on my 6P. Or even my MX Pure before that. I keep my Z Play on H/H+ deliberately because, for me, the speeds are fine for streaming, and I prefer to see 4-5 bars of reception rather than 2. Plus it helps out a bit with the battery, (not that I really worry about that with this device). But that's a personal preference.

Best of luck.
    04-06-2017 01:37 PM
    I've only had my Z Play for a week, no trouble so far on AT&T.

To answer your questions:
    1- my phone appears on my account as "unknown device"
    2- my APN is on the attached pic
    3- I re-used the SIM from my Moto X Pure Edition, AT&T; that device also appeared as "unknown" on my account

Wish I could be more helpful, good luck.
    Attached Thumbnails Mzp + at&t lte service-screenshot_20170406-134408-01.png  
    04-06-2017 01:51 PM
    @soma

I tried that app & it doesn't do anything. I'm not rooted. If rooting would solve this I would consider rooting. Looking at XDA, not a lot of developer interest in the moto phones. In my case, the moto phone out of the box generally does what I want it do without rooting.
    @312moto

Many thanks. What market are you in? I'm in Boston. My account shows unknown device as well. I hope for you that you're LTE sticks. Don't understand why my service doesn't other than AT&T & how they handle things.
    04-06-2017 02:46 PM
    I'm in the Chicago area.

Here's something you might look at, if you haven't already. Whatever you do, don't change any settings on the following screen yet! I don't know what could happen, let's just see where you are right now.

Go to your phone dialer, and enter

*#*#4636#*#*

It will take you to a screen with some menus to choose from. Click on Phone Info. Check about halfway down, Set Preferred Network Type. Mine says LTE/UMTS auto (PRL)

I hope this helps, and it's not old news.
    Sailindawg likes this.
    04-06-2017 05:06 PM
    @soma

I tried that app & it doesn't do anything. I'm not rooted. If rooting would solve this I would consider rooting. Looking at XDA, not a lot of developer interest in the moto phones. In my case, the moto phone out of the box generally does what I want it do without rooting.
    Same here. I've used Moto devices before, usually with no issues. Not sure if your rooting reference was in connection to the Network Mode app or not, but it doesn't require root to function.

Did you try the tablet APN?
    04-06-2017 06:49 PM
    I'm in the Chicago area.

Here's something you might look at, if you haven't already. Whatever you do, don't change any settings on the following screen yet! I don't know what could happen, let's just see where you are right now.

Go to your phone dialer, and enter

*#*#4636#*#*

It will take you to a screen with some menus to choose from. Click on Phone Info. Check about halfway down, Set Preferred Network Type. Mine says LTE/UMTS auto (PRL)

I hope this helps, and it's not old news.
    This is what the network mode app does. It's good to see what the dialer code is.

What I find strange here, is that is I select the option you suggested, there is no recognition within the applet that a change has occurred. I back out of the screen with the back button and there is no dialog box stating change made.

I reboot the phone and go back, the choice is still GSM.... instead of LTE. Unless I'm dying something wrong.

The Network Mode app behaves similarly.
    04-08-2017 01:43 PM
    @312MotoGus

Could take a screen shot of the balance of the APN? This is not very helpful. If I click the photo, there is only the one screen shot but no details. I need the details.
    04-08-2017 02:00 PM
    Here we are:
    Attached Thumbnails Mzp + at&t lte service-screenshot_20170408-153343.jpg   Mzp + at&t lte service-screenshot_20170408-153352.jpg   Mzp + at&t lte service-screenshot_20170408-153401.jpg  
    04-08-2017 04:20 PM
    Here we are:
    Many thanks. I'm using that same group of settings & no LTE.

Enjoy the speed while it lasts!

I put my wife's sim from her Samsung phone into my MZP, guess what, LTE service on my MZP. Only problem, I have her phone number. Not a real good solution, but it shows its not the phone, but arbitrary crap from AT&T.
    PAC757 likes this.
    04-10-2017 06:22 PM