Verizon Z Play 7.1.1 update out now!

dby2011

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
FYI Verizon just released the 7.1.1 update along with the July security patch. The notes on the Verizon website just said the update was the July security patch but I was shocked when it ended up being updated to 7.1.1 too. The update also includes the new launcher that functions like the Pixel launcher.

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
When I heard word I fired up my old Z Play to check it out. So far, it looks pretty much the same except for:
  • New Pixel icons
  • An extra quick toggle in the notifications
  • July Security Patch
  • All new camera interface. Photo quality even seems to have improved a little, although still not close to the level of this year's flagship phones.
Disappointingly though, no one button nav. I guess the FP sensor on the old Z phones don't support gestures. I'm going to pop my sim out of my LG G6 and into my Z Play to test it out for a couple of days and report back. I'll miss the G6's camera and form factor, but at least it'll be refreshing to go back to stock Android and dat battery life!

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Ughhh... these round icons are hideous! For some reason Nova's setting to use Marshmallow icons is not setting them straight.

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Battery life is the same (6hrs 15min of SOT over 2 days), performance is the same, not much difference in use from 7.0. A few bugs were fixed though, such as one I had where Moto Display wouldn't play well with certain apps I use. Man, I missed being able to abuse a smartphone battery like this!

decraig2000

Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
It is an interesting update. I installed it yesterday. Smaller and round icons. I can fit more on the screen. Not sure how I like the swipe up to get to the tray versus the old touch the dotted icon setup. I am sure it will grow on me.

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm finally able to uninstall preloaded games it came with! also, it's much easier to shrink the screen now.
and finally, there is a manual mode for camera!

jbird68

Dec 23, 2016
Visit site
I don't like the smaller icons. Still didn't fix the issue with not being able to screen cast to my Roku. Only YouTube will screencast. It's google app. Of course.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I have the Z-Play Droid with Verizon, still on 6.0.1. Any reason that I shouldn't upgrade?

Battery life went down ever so slightly when I upgraded from Marshmallow. But if you're anything like me, you'll still have tons of battery to spare after the upgrade. Everything else about the updated software is a win.