Swelling battery

azteca911

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I have a 17 month old Z Play that has been a great phone. Recently the screen started to detach in the middle of both sides. The screen is now bowed up maybe 5mm on the left side of the screen and 2-3 on the right. I took a good look at it today and can see that the gold foil wrapped battery is pushing up on the screen so I shut the phone down and stored it in a place that it couldn't start a fire. I'm talking to Motorola right now to see if this can be repaired.

Anyone else come across this with the older Z Play?

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Sorry to hear about that. Bummer. It has not happened to either of the Z Play's in my household, but does seem to happen to some phones from time to time.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I have a 17 month old Z Play that has been a great phone. Recently the screen started to detach in the middle of both sides. The screen is now bowed up maybe 5mm on the left side of the screen and 2-3 on the right. I took a good look at it today and can see that the gold foil wrapped battery is pushing up on the screen so I shut the phone down and stored it in a place that it couldn't start a fire. I'm talking to Motorola right now to see if this can be repaired.

Anyone else come across this with the older Z Play?

Happened to me too... Exact same thing...but I love the phone so much I went out and got a new one in the hopes it was just a fluke.

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I have the exact same problem.

I just noticed it after I got back from a weekend trip where I used my Moto Z Play with Google Maps for about 10 hours of sceen-on time. The phone was plugged in to a 12 volt charger during most of the trip - not sure if that caused the problem or is just a coincidence?

It's been a great phone but it's not worth getting repaired. Thinking about getting a used Moto Z2 Play and waiting to see if Google comes out with a decent phone this year.

azteca911

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I replaced my Z Play with a refurbed Z Play from Motorola. 5 months later the battery on Z Play #2 is pushing the screen away from the phone body. Time to go phone shopping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol