Shattershield and Screen Protectors

darknyght00

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm considering the Z Force since my girlfriend and I are pretty big into AR gaming (we're both avid Ingress and PGO players). I understand that the shattershield part of the Force is basically a screen protector itself. My question is this: can a glass screen protector be installed over the shattershield and/or can replacements be had for the shattershield itself?

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I am sure that somebody will make a glass shield for the Z Force Droid. Sure enough that I ordered the phone but will keep in box til I can get glass shield. Wanted to order while I could get 300 trade in.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I am sure that somebody will make a glass shield for the Z Force Droid. Sure enough that I ordered the phone but will keep in box til I can get glass shield. Wanted to order while I could get 300 trade in.

I found that some of the quoted trades are a lot lower

Posted via the Android Central App

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
1. Glass shield now available on Verizon site.

2. I first chose to trade in and got eval of 135. Went back and chose to buy phone, chose Z Force Droid, then it offered trade in and gave me 300 estimated trade in. My phone is in pristine condition but we will see what they give when they receive it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
1. Glass shield now available on Verizon site.

2. I first chose to trade in and got eval of 135. Went back and chose to buy phone, chose Z Force Droid, then it offered trade in and gave me 300 estimated trade in. My phone is in pristine condition but we will see what they give when they receive it.

Do they take the trade on the 30 dollar a month plan?

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Yes, but the $300 is issued as a credit not specifically off the 720 cost of the phone for the purpose of the 30/mo plan.

Photo_Drew

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
There's a trade in promo of up to $300 right now. Depends what phone you're coming from though.

If you wait and do it in store you can put it down on the phone at time of purchase but not if you preorder.

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
No, just mailed the phone today. It was in perfect condition so I shall see how honest Verizon is. It was a V10.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I think Verizon will be fair. I was surprised prices for the V10 on Swappa were rather low fwiw.

The resale market is saturated with a lot of not very old phones.
I'm really on the fence on this ZForce.
I don't care much about Mods and I hate the plastic screen. It is tempting to turn one of my old phones in but I want to see what the rumoured V20 brings to the table in September. Not liking the proposed Nexus models coming out.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I know the LG G4 was totally saturated last fall when Verizon had such a good deal they closed the loophole about new lines. Until I see the Force screen I will withhold opinion but I hear it's much, much better than the DT2 screen last year. If you want the feel of glass, add a screen protector.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Might not be entirely true but some are saying HTC may make both models.....not necessarily a bad thing, but I hate how each year they switch who makes the phone. The screen sizes are rumoured at 5.2 and. 5.5. I read somewhere one may have a glass back..... Hope not.

Bottom line.... Too soon to tell.

Went to Best Buy to see if they had. Z Force on display.... No luck.
While I was there it struck me the S7 edge is really cheesy looking. To each his own but I don't see why that is popular.

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Played with the Z and Z Force at Best Buy and decided on... Wait for it... Neither. The battery is too small on the regular Z and I don't like that the camera isn't as good as the Z Force. And I don't feel like the screen of the Z Force is as good because it didn't feel quite as close to my finger, it has this sort of shimmery look when I looked close, and it supposedly scratches very easily. I don't know about others, but scratches are a bigger issue for me than shatters. So basically, I want a Z Force with a normal screen, and preferably for the price of the regular Z or less, which ain't gonna happen. Hopefully Nexus comes through.

I will say this though. The software felt very well optimized. Scrolling around web pages, through YouTube, and around in maps all felt smoother than my S7 Edge and OnePlus 3 that I returned. Not faster, smoother. Smoothness is more important than pure speed to me, so that was nice to see.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Agree on both for pretty much for the same reasons. Also not sure if the screen image is better on the Force compared to the Turbo 2 complaints. One good thing about the shatter shield besides being unbreakable is that's it is replaceable for 29 bucks however that potentially means changing it every time you ding it.
I'll wait for the new Nexus and rumoured LG V20.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I'll just be throwing a glass protector on my force screen for the better feel and scratch resistance. Hopefully Verizon has the protector and bumper case at the local store after I pick up my Force from BestBuy tomorrow morning.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I would definitely buy a screen protector. I bought my parents a couple of DT2 and those shatter shield screens were scratched to hell in two days. Hopefully, with the force they improved on it at least a bit

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I would definitely buy a screen protector. I bought my parents a couple of DT2 and those shatter shield screens were scratched to hell in two days. Hopefully, with the force they improved on it at least a bit

Its still not scratch resistance....the only speculated improvement is visual.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax