shattershield not as protective as it sounds

GoBigRed4

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I've been going with no screen protector because of the shattershield. I've seen the drop tests and was convinced I'd be fine without one. Turns out though that while I'm confident my screen won't "shatter" if dropped, it doesn't seem to protect against chips any better than any other screen. I was sitting on a concrete step and the phone slowly slid out of my pocket and onto the step face down. I mean, this was about as lightly as the phone could have touched the concrete without purposely setting it down. When I looked at it there were 2 small chips in the screen. I guess I would have thought a screen marketed as super tough would be able to protect against such a light interaction with concrete.

So this got me thinking... What good is shattershield anyway? If I drop the phone from my hand while standing, even if it doesn't shatter this experience tells me it would still be messed up pretty bad with chips and scratches. So what's really the difference? I'd want to get the screen replaced anyway.

I can understand a few light scratches appearing without a screen protector but never thought I'd get chips from such a minor accident.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
That's the point though. It won't be free of blemishes after a fall. But the screen won't shatter.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
And you just need to replace the top layer. The whole screen isn't damaged. The top layer is a screen protector. It is kind of ridiculous that they don't have them available yet though.

stonefox801

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
I've been going with no screen protector because of the shattershield. I've seen the drop tests and was convinced I'd be fine without one. Turns out though that while I'm confident my screen won't "shatter" if dropped, it doesn't seem to protect against chips any better than any other screen. I was sitting on a concrete step and the phone slowly slid out of my pocket and onto the step face down. I mean, this was about as lightly as the phone could have touched the concrete without purposely setting it down. When I looked at it there were 2 small chips in the screen. I guess I would have thought a screen marketed as super tough would be able to protect against such a light interaction with concrete.

So this got me thinking... What good is shattershield anyway? If I drop the phone from my hand while standing, even if it doesn't shatter this experience tells me it would still be messed up pretty bad with chips and scratches. So what's really the difference? I'd want to get the screen replaced anyway.

I can understand a few light scratches appearing without a screen protector but never thought I'd get chips from such a minor accident.

Picture of these "chips" Because im thinking its just deep scratches from rocks.

GoBigRed4

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
And you just need to replace the top layer. The whole screen isn't damaged. The top layer is a screen protector. It is kind of ridiculous that they don't have them available yet though.

I wasn't aware that this is how the shattershield works. In that case, it's not a bad concept. I didn't know that only a layer on top needs to be replaced.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
^Yeah, that's the design, a replaceable top layer. Many of us put a glass screen protector on top of that to get the feel of glass plus replacing that is generally cheaper and easier than replacing the Shattershield.

GoBigRed4

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Picture of these "chips" Because im thinking its just deep scratches from rocks.

I don't really have a convenient way to take a picture so I'm probably not going to do that. But I will say that you very well could be right, they may be deep scratches. I don't consider them to be scratches because they are not linear, as though something was dragged across the screen. It's as though a tiny rock was pushed into the screen and made an indentation. And again, the phone fell so slowly and hardly any distance that it's hard to believe there was enough force to leave such a mark.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
The major downside is that because they use a hard plastic instead of glass (thus it can't shatter, though there's more to shattershield than that), the top replaceable layer is more easily scratched than a gorilla glass screen. Sounds like your plastic layer has some slight gouges that look like chips.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Sorry to hear that man. Definitely get that replaced or if not maybe somehow you can find a material that will smooth out the chips somehow then throw you a Tempered Glass on it and that may in fact totally hide it. Just a thought for a do it yourself quick fix.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear that man. Definitely get that replaced or if not maybe somehow you can find a material that will smooth out the chips somehow then throw you a Tempered Glass on it and that may in fact totally hide it. Just a thought for a do it yourself quick fix.

A tempered glass screen protector will no doubt smooth out the chips, maybe even to the point you start to forget they are there. Also, I think Lenovo / Moto are going to start selling the top plastic layer for the screen, so you'll be able to replace that too.

GoBigRed4

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
A tempered glass screen protector will no doubt smooth out the chips, maybe even to the point you start to forget they are there. Also, I think Lenovo / Moto are going to start selling the top plastic layer for the screen, so you'll be able to replace that too.

When you say smooth out the chips it sounds like you are referring to the feel of them. I can definitely feel them if I run my finger across them slowly enough, but I'm more bummed out that I can see them all the time.

I hope that top layer folks keep talking about does become available, but it's not worth it to me if it costs more than maybe $30. I have no concept of whether that is a reasonable price or not, but I'm still going to have to pay somebody to make the repair regardless. Not sure if this is just a regional thing (I'm in MN), but there are these places called CPR (Cell Phone Repair) around here that have a pretty good reputation. I imagine there is some sort of franchise all over the country like it. Might have to check into that.

hotshotazn

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
When you say smooth out the chips it sounds like you are referring to the feel of them. I can definitely feel them if I run my finger across them slowly enough, but I'm more bummed out that I can see them all the time.

I hope that top layer folks keep talking about does become available, but it's not worth it to me if it costs more than maybe $30. I have no concept of whether that is a reasonable price or not, but I'm still going to have to pay somebody to make the repair regardless. Not sure if this is just a regional thing (I'm in MN), but there are these places called CPR (Cell Phone Repair) around here that have a pretty good reputation. I imagine there is some sort of franchise all over the country like it. Might have to check into that.

From articles I've read, it'll be around $25 - $30.

It should be user installable as soon as it becomes available.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site

Basically they will or should have a compound similar to liquid glass. Actually the liquid glass should work just fine for what you need which is some thing to fill in the divits that will harden clear. Before you pay them 50 bucks research liquid glass filler. I believe it's cheap just for a small tube then after you do it yourself pick up a tempered glass and you should be 100 percent good to go man. Shouldn't be able to see it what so ever. Good luck.

GoBigRed4

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Here's a video of how to replace the lens on the Droid Turbo 2 with shattershield to give an idea of the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRyygRr0_gc

Holy crap, so the shattershield is basically just a screen protector? That's kind of cool that the screen protector is pretty much built into the design of the phone. Not sure why people are putting screen protectors on these phones in the first place, other than that the replacements aren't available yet. Seems like that's just putting a screen protector on top of another screen protector. The only reason I can think of to do that is because of the feel, but I personally like the feel of what's already on the phone.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Holy crap, so the shattershield is basically just a screen protector? That's kind of cool that the screen protector is pretty much built into the design of the phone. Not sure why people are putting screen protectors on these phones in the first place, other than that the replacements aren't available yet. Seems like that's just putting a screen protector on top of another screen protector. The only reason I can think of to do that is because of the feel, but I personally like the feel of what's already on the phone.

Yup, it's a built in screen protector/lens. The downside is that it scratches fairly easily. That doesn't matter as much since it's replaceable, but some prefer the feel of glass and don't want a scratched up screen.

Photo_Drew

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site

It's more than that. But the top layer is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12