Android Nougat for the Moto Z Force (Moto Z Force Droid)

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
When they first rolled out 5.1 out on the original Turbo I declined it for almost a year. I knew Verizon had requested Google remove certain permissions for apps to be able to control the 4g signal. Shut it off and on which was an issue for me in a weak 4g signal area.

So if they do push this out I will decline an update again to let others see what's wrong. I don't expect there to be any issues but I don't like change.

HowardL168

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
They say "...starting in Q4 with Moto Z and Moto G.."! So does that mean I should expect my Force getting it "any day now"?...or are we then waiting for Verizon?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
They say "...starting in Q4 with Moto Z and Moto G.."! So does that mean I should expect my Force getting it "any day now"?...or are we then waiting for Verizon?

Take literally, it means that the updates will start coming out for at least one of the phones sometime in Q4. It may be more phones that one. It is more than likely, based on past history, that the unlocked Z and G4 will get the update before the Droid versions - but past history is not a guarantee of future results.

Honestly, I would expect it in Q1 2017 and hope for sooner.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
With Verizon having exclusivity, it wouldn't surprise me if the Moto Z DROIDs got the update first.

See Verizon Moto X and the KitKat update.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Hate to be Debbie downer ..but every time I've upgraded to a new operating system my phone goes downhill...
I have not experienced that. Quite the opposite. However: I always do a CC and FR after a version upgrade. It's a PITA, but, it seems to work.

OTOH: Lenovorola's update/upgrade track record is not enviable.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
With Verizon having exclusivity, it wouldn't surprise me if the Moto Z DROIDs got the update first.

See Verizon Moto X and the KitKat update.

The Moto X received KitKat on Verizon before the Droid Maxx/Ultra/Mini (though the Droids were only a month behind on that one.) The Moto X has Lollipop, not the Droids. The Moto Maxx receive Lollipop before the Droid Turbo, and has Marshmallow in some places, while the Turbo does not. The Moto X Force received Marshmallow before the Droid Turbo 2.

In all cases except the Moto X the phones were on Verizon exclusively before they were available unlocked in the rest of the world (Turbo/Maxx, Turbo 2/X Force). There is also the Droid Maxx 2, which received Marshmallow long after the Moto X Play (though in this case, the X Play was available long before the Maxx 2.)

This is why I t think that the Droids will lag the unlocked versions (mostly because the unlocked do not require Verizon testing.) But, again - it could be different. So, again, I would expect it to be slower for the Droids and hope for it to be different. That's far less frustrating if you have to wait, and great if you don't.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The Moto X received KitKat on Verizon before the Droid Maxx/Ultra/Mini (though the Droids were only a month behind on that one.) The Moto X has Lollipop, not the Droids. The Moto Maxx receive Lollipop before the Droid Turbo, and has Marshmallow in some places, while the Turbo does not. The Moto X Force received Marshmallow before the Droid Turbo 2.

In all cases except the Moto X the phones were on Verizon exclusively before they were available unlocked in the rest of the world (Turbo/Maxx, Turbo 2/X Force). There is also the Droid Maxx 2, which received Marshmallow long after the Moto X Play (though in this case, the X Play was available long before the Maxx 2.)

This is why I t think that the Droids will lag the unlocked versions (mostly because the unlocked do not require Verizon testing.) But, again - it could be different. So, again, I would expect it to be slower for the Droids and hope for it to be different. That's far less frustrating if you have to wait, and great if you don't.

What security patch level are the unlocked Moto Zs on?

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hate to be Debbie downer ..but every time I've upgraded to a new operating system my phone goes downhill...I believe these phones are tweaked to the original software installed. Kills me though ...as I always pull the trigger and get disappointed!!!

this was always my experience with Samsung. But when I had the Nexus 6, it seemed to improve when I got M