Does it annoy you how all the reviews say Lenovo not Motorola?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The Moto Z Force can be used on other carriers, although you might be missing a few bands. But it's still a Verizon exclusive and that perturbs the cognoscenti at several Android websites. So it's not judged on its own merits because of this.

It is definitely optimized for CDMA and Verizon's LTE bands, though, and comes with Verizon-specific apps that you cannot remove and are unnecessary on another carrier. The unlocked versions of the Z phones are not that way.

I certainly would not suggest to anybody that they buy a Z Force to use on a carrier other than Verizon, except for an extremely knowledgeable user. Sites like Android Central are probably an even split between technically proficient users and users who are not so curious technically about their phones. AC also has a list of best Verizon phones, and the Droids are on that list.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't recommend anyone doing that either but it can certainly be done. As for the Verizon specific apps, they can either be deleted or disabled. The bloat argument is now tired and weak.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
As for the Verizon specific apps, they can either be deleted or disabled. The bloat argument is now tired and weak.
Almost every non-technical user I know has no idea what disabling an app means, or even that it can be done, or how. Bring this phone to T-Mobile and you have apps for Verizon, Verizon Cloud, Verizon Messages, Verizon Navigation, etc., that are useless or redundant. So, it's tired to you, I can get by, but there are ways for Verizon to provide these apps without forcing them onto the full Android build, when a Verizon SIM is inserted into the phone, but Verizon chooses not to do it that way. (Well, none of the carriers do, but we are talking about a Verizon proprietary phone here.) See https://source.android.com/devices/tech/config/carrier.html and https://www.androidpit.com/android-5-0-lollipop-apps (see update at the bottom.)

If there was even a Z Force version specific to AT&T, T-Mobile and/or Sprint, like the Samsung Galaxy phones, I bet the phone would be listed more often as a top phone.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
It is tired, it is old, most of these phones have plenty of memory for the users you're describing. They probably don't know how to change their home screen or use widgets. It's an elitist attitude, for example when people say they actually use the Verizon messaging app you'd think they were technical rubes or something when it's actually a pretty good app.

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I guess I just never realized that the Motorola part got dropped.. Motorola's in my opinion are of the best android phones in terms of build quality and reliability. I'm not saying anything about software and updates however..

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
As to the question in the OP, since Motorola invented the cell phone, yes, it kind of bothers me that they would drop the nameplate.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
It seems to be gone in the Z but FWIW, AllCast (Play Store) works nicely & will cast to a far wider range of devices.